Today: Partly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the mid 90s. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph shifting to the east in the afternoon. Heat index readings 105 to 109 in the afternoon. Tonight: Partly cloudy. Chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening, then chance of showers and slight chance of thunderstorms after midnight. Lows in the mid 70s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30 percent. Details here.
Today’s document from the National Archives and the Astronomy Picture of the Day.
Today’s tides: at the beaches, at the Intracoastal Waterway.
Drought Index is at 50.
The OED’s Word of the Day: needcessity, n..
The Live Community Calendar
Today’s jail bookings.
Today’s Briefing: Quick Links
- First Light
- In Flagler and Palm Coast
- Flagler Jail Bookings and Sheriff’s Crime Reports
- In State Government
- In Coming Days in Flagler, Palm Coast and Beyond
- The Day’s Best Reads
- Fact-Checking the Knaves
- Palm Coast Construction and Development
- Local Road and Interstate Construction
- Cultural Coda
Note: all government meetings noticed below are free and open to the public unless otherwise indicated. Many can be heard or seen live through each agency’s website.
The Sheriff’s daily incident reports and jail bookings are posted here.
In Court: Christopher Hollinger is scheduled for a plea before Circuit Judge Dennis Craig at 2:30 p.m. in Courtroom 401 or 403. The 24 year old resident of 43 Forsythe Lane was originally accused of drugging and sexually assaulting two girls, 14 and 15, on March 15, 2016. According to his arrest report, the assaults took place near Palm Harbor Parkway, in the area of the Long Creek Preserve, a park with many isolated nooks across the water from the old Yacht Club. Hollinger lives a short distance from there. The charges were reduced to three, including two counts of lewd and lascivious battery.
The Flagler County Technical Review Committee meets at 9 a.m. in the First Floor Conference Room of the Government Services Building, Bunnell.
The Tourist Development Council meets at 10 a.m. in board chambers at Government Services Building, Bunnell.
The Flagler County Contractor Review Board meets at 5 p.m. in board chambers at the Government Services Building, Bunnell.
The Palm Coast Planning Development Board meets at 5:30 p.m. at City Hall in Town Center. Board members will consider approving Moonrise Brewery, a microbrewery at European Village, and a Discount Tire near Home Depot.
Flagler Beach’s Economic Development Task Force meets at 4 p.m. at City Hall.
Blood donations on the Big Red Bus:
- Wednesday: The Post Office on Pine Cone Drive, Palm Coast, from noon to 5 p.m.
- Friday: Publix on Belle Terre Parkway, 4950 Belle Terre, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Saturday: Publix at Island Walk, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Sunday: Publix in the Hammock, 5415 North Oceanshore (A1A0, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
For a full list of dates and locations for the bus, go here.
You are Invited to a Senior Focus Group Wednesday, August 30: On behalf of the City of Palm Coast, ElderSource has been asked to facilitate a senior focus group to discuss the development of additional programs for seniors in Flagler County and the function of an expanded community center. As the City looks to its future and plans for a new facility, the City Council thought it would be in the best interest of the project to seek feedback, questions and commentary from the community before the project progressed any further. Any interested persons or parties are invited to attend and participate in this discussion. ElderSource is a non-profit agency designated by the state as the Area Agency on Aging and Aging & Disability Resource Center for Northeast Florida. ElderSource serves as the focal point to which older adults, adults with disabilities, caregivers, and the general public can receive information, referral, assistance and answers on aging issues. The focus group is scheduled for Wednesday, Aug. 30, from 10 to 11:30 a.m. at the community wing of Palm Coast City Hall, 160 Lake Avenue, in Town Center. If you are unable to attend and would like to submit comments, please email
nancy.[email protected] and these will be shared at the meeting.
Flagler County Seeking Veteran of the Year Nominations: The award will be presented to a living Flagler County veteran who has not only served the United States with honor, but has used the leadership skills and abilities learned in the military to improve the Flagler County community through selfless volunteer service. If you have a nominee in mind, details are here.
The Florida Elections Commission will meet. (8:30 a.m., 110 Senate Office Building, the Capitol.)
Gov. Rick Scott and the Florida Cabinet will take up a series of issues, including 2018-2019 budget requests for the Florida Department of Veterans’ Affairs, the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, the Florida Department of Revenue and the Florida Office of Insurance Regulation. (9 a.m., Cabinet meeting room, the Capitol.)
Senate Appropriations Chairman Jack Latvala, R-Clearwater, will make three appearances to help kick off his 2018 campaign for governor. (9 a.m., outside Fire Station #7, 7590 West 24th Ave., Hialeah. Also, 1 p.m., Clearwater Marine Aquarium, 249 Windward Passage, Clearwater. Also, 5 p.m. Central time, Sun Harbor Marina, 5505 Sun Harbor Road, Panama City.)
Parole: The Florida Commission on Offender Review will meet and discuss numerous parole cases related to crimes committed in the 1970s and 1980s. (Wednesday, 9 a.m., Betty Easley Conference Center, 4075 Esplanade Way, Tallahassee.)
To include your event in this section, please fill out this form.
Volunteers stand guard over Confederate monument in downtown Tampa https://t.co/sbBAla9jSf
— Tampa Bay Times News and Weather (@tbocom) August 15, 2017
"Nazis are Nazis, President Trump, and those who support them are collaborators."https://t.co/jixOCX9K04
— The Forward (@jdforward) August 15, 2017
Opinion: Trump just hit a new low https://t.co/DJKtajxkwb
— The Washington Post (@washingtonpost) August 15, 2017
War room 2.0? U.S. Air Force upgrades Middle East command center https://t.co/SQ6hchQCxa
— Reuters Top News (@Reuters) August 15, 2017
— The Christian Science Monitor (@csmonitor) August 15, 2017
The following is an update of ongoing permitting, construction and development projects in Palm Coast, through July 26 (the city administration’s full week in review is here):
Wynton Marsalis Septet: Sunflowers (From The Marciac Suite Album)
- Nikolai Kedrov: Otche Nash (Our Father)
- Ludovico Einaudi, “Elegy for the Arctic”
- Black Violin at Apollo Amateur Night
- Bach’s Beer Bottles: The Art of Fugue, Contrapunctus 1
- Mozart’s Only String Trio, K563
- Sibelius’s Violin Concerto, Ida Haendel, Violin
- Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue: Marcus Roberts Trio, Seiji Ozawa, Cond. (2003)
- Wynton Marsalis takes the Horn Challenge
- Beethoven String Quartet No. 14 in C-sharp minor, Op. 131, Afiara Quartet
- K.D. Lang: The Mind of Love
- World’s Oldest Violin: Marco Rizzi Performs Schumann’s Sonata No. 2 on a 1566 Amati Violin
- Mark Knopfler on Guitars
- Bach’s Little Fugue in G minor, Performed by the Canadian Brass
- The Adventures of Henry Thoreau: A Young Man’s Unlikely Path to Walden Pond
- Macklemore Feat Skylar Grey: Glorious
- Edward Luce On the Retreat of Western Liberalism in the Trump Era
- Why Don’t All Instruments Sound The Same?
- Joachim Horsley’s “Beethoven in Havana”: What the Piano Can Do
- Bojan Cicic and Richard Egarr: Giovanni Carbonelli’s Violin Sonata No. 1
- Voyager: The 116 images NASA wants aliens to see
- Bohemian Rhapsody: Brooklyn Duo and Ft. Dover Quartet
- Down in the River to Pray: University of Texas Tuba/Euphonium Studio
- Brahms : Piano Quartet No. 1 in G minor, op. 25
- The Reluctant Fundamentalist: Mohsin Hamid in Conversation with Akhil Sharma
- “The Day After” (1983)
- Rui Arayama Performs Domenico Scarlatti’s Sonatas K.427 & K.455
- Villa-Lobos: Bachianas Brasileiras
- Angelina Jordan, 10 Years Old Norwegian, Sings the Blues: I Put A Spell On You
- Joseph Bodin de Boismortier (1689-1755), Concerto in B Minor for five Recorders Op. 15 Nr. 4, Abateva
- Introduction to Bullshit
- Chopin: 24 Etudes for Piano Op.10 , Op 25, Lukas Genjušas, Piano
- Alike: The Best Short Film Ever
- Fauré’s Requiem, Performed by the Ensemble Orchestral de Paris, Choeur Accentus
- Arthur Rubinstein Performs Saint-Saëns’s Piano Concerto No 2 in G minor, Op 22
- Mendelssohn’s Symphony No. 5, Reformation: Jérémie Rhorer Conducts the Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra
- C.P.E. Bach Keyboard Sonata in F sharp minor, Wq 52 4
- Boccherini: Quintet with Guitar G 448 D-Major
- Jean-Baptiste Poyard Performs Telemann’s Violin Fantasia n°1
- Eudora Welty Reads “A Worn Path”
- Francis Poulenc at the piano
- Antonin Dvořák: Romance for Violin and Orchestra performed by Tanja Sonc