Today: Partly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the lower 90s, lows in the 70s. Details here.
Drought Index is at 98.
Today’s tides: at the beaches, at the Intracoastal Waterway.
Today’s document from the National Archives.
The OED’s Word of the Day: wayang kulit, n..
The Live Community Calendar
Today’s jail bookings.
Today’s Briefing: Quick Links
- First Light
- In Flagler and Palm Coast
- Flagler Jail Bookings and Sheriff’s Crime Reports
- In State Government
- In Coming Days in Flagler, Palm Coast and Beyond
- The Day’s Best Reads
- Fact-Checking the Knaves
- Palm Coast Construction and Development
- Local Road and Interstate Construction
- Cultural Coda
Note: all government meetings noticed below are free and open to the public unless otherwise indicated. Many can be heard or seen live through each agency’s website.
The Sheriff’s daily incident reports and jail bookings are posted here.
The Flagler County Economic Opportunity Council meets at 9 a.m. in board chambers at the Government Services Building, Bunnell.
Grade Schedule Pick-Up for Indian Trails Middle School students at the Indian Trails dining hall. 10 a.m. for 8th graders, 1 p.m. for 7th graders.
A meeting of the Compassionate Friends is scheduled for 5:30 p.m. at the Flagler County Public Library in Palm Coast. The Compassionate Friends, a nonprofit self-help bereavement support organization for families that have experienced the death of a child. The meeting is open to all parents, grandparents, and siblings over age 18 who has suffered the loss of a child of any age. For more information, call John Brady at 610-428-3139. To learn more about The Compassionate Friends, visit their national website at www.compassionatefriends.org.
Section of St. Joe Walkway to close temporarily for reconstruction
An approximately ½-mile section of St. Joe Walkway – one of Palm Coast’s most popular trails – will be closed beginning Monday, July 24, to allow for reconstruction of the multi-use pathway. The portion to be closed is from eastbound Palm Coast Parkway to the Intracoastal Waterway, in the vicinity of Canopy Walk. Detour signs will be posted for bicyclists and pedestrians, taking them on a nearby trail route to Palm Harbor Parkway and the Hammock Bridge trailhead. Access along the Intracoastal Waterway between Hammock Bridge and Waterfront Park will remain open for now. However, as the project progresses, a portion of that section of the trail will be closed temporarily. The pathway must be reconstructed because it has cracks and damage from tree roots. City of Palm Coast crews will do most of the work, and then the repaving will be done by Halifax Paving. The project is expected to take several weeks. The City of Palm Coast appreciates the patience to trail-users as we complete this important trail reconstruction project. For more information, call Palm Coast Customer Service at 386-986-2360.
Parole: The Florida Commission on Offender Review will meet and discuss numerous parole cases related to crimes committed in the 1970s and 1980s. Florida abolished parole in the mid-1990s. (9 a.m., Betty Easley Conference Center, 4075 Esplanade Way, Tallahassee.)
To include your event in this section, please fill out this form.
Analysis: An overview of the firings, resignations and withdrawn nominations of the Trump White House https://t.co/lKu781CzIY
— The Washington Post (@washingtonpost) July 21, 2017
In solitary confinement on death row, Kenneth Foster, Jr., began to think of his typewriter as a companion. https://t.co/K3JqulN3Np
— The New Yorker (@NewYorker) July 21, 2017
— BuzzFeed (@BuzzFeed) July 21, 2017
All hell breaks loose as the tundra thaws https://t.co/YgGc6TOkFO
— Guardian Science (@guardianscience) July 20, 2017
— Spectrum News 13 (@MyNews13) July 21, 2017
The following is an update of ongoing permitting, construction and development projects in Palm Coast, through July 14 (the city administration’s full week in review is here):
Wynton Marsalis takes the Horn Challenge
- Beethoven String Quartet No. 14 in C-sharp minor, Op. 131, Afiara Quartet
- K.D. Lang: The Mind of Love
- World’s Oldest Violin: Marco Rizzi Performs Schumann’s Sonata No. 2 on a 1566 Amati Violin
- Mark Knopfler on Guitars
- Bach’s Little Fugue in G minor, Performed by the Canadian Brass
- The Adventures of Henry Thoreau: A Young Man’s Unlikely Path to Walden Pond
- Macklemore Feat Skylar Grey: Glorious
- Edward Luce On the Retreat of Western Liberalism in the Trump Era
- Why Don’t All Instruments Sound The Same?
- Joachim Horsley’s “Beethoven in Havana”: What the Piano Can Do
- Bojan Cicic and Richard Egarr: Giovanni Carbonelli’s Violin Sonata No. 1
- Voyager: The 116 images NASA wants aliens to see
- Bohemian Rhapsody: Brooklyn Duo and Ft. Dover Quartet
- Down in the River to Pray: University of Texas Tuba/Euphonium Studio
- Brahms : Piano Quartet No. 1 in G minor, op. 25
- The Reluctant Fundamentalist: Mohsin Hamid in Conversation with Akhil Sharma
- “The Day After” (1983)
- Rui Arayama Performs Domenico Scarlatti’s Sonatas K.427 & K.455
- Villa-Lobos: Bachianas Brasileiras
- Angelina Jordan, 10 Years Old Norwegian, Sings the Blues: I Put A Spell On You
- Joseph Bodin de Boismortier (1689-1755), Concerto in B Minor for five Recorders Op. 15 Nr. 4, Abateva
- Introduction to Bullshit
- Chopin: 24 Etudes for Piano Op.10 , Op 25, Lukas Genjušas, Piano
- Alike: The Best Short Film Ever
- Fauré’s Requiem, Performed by the Ensemble Orchestral de Paris, Choeur Accentus
- Arthur Rubinstein Performs Saint-Saëns’s Piano Concerto No 2 in G minor, Op 22
- Mendelssohn’s Symphony No. 5, Reformation: Jérémie Rhorer Conducts the Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra
- C.P.E. Bach Keyboard Sonata in F sharp minor, Wq 52 4
- Boccherini: Quintet with Guitar G 448 D-Major
- Jean-Baptiste Poyard Performs Telemann’s Violin Fantasia n°1
- Eudora Welty Reads “A Worn Path”
- Francis Poulenc at the piano
- Antonin Dvořák: Romance for Violin and Orchestra performed by Tanja Sonc
- Joseph Haydn’s Symphony Nr. 66 in F major, Herbert Blomstedt, cond.
- Sarah Chang Plays Elgar’s Damn Romantic Salut d’amour, Op. 12
- Beethoven: Symphony No. 7, Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Iván Fischer, cond.
- Rimsky-Korsakov, Russian Easter Festival Overture, Op. 36
- Händel: Keyboard Suite HWV 428, Daria van den Bercken, piano
- Haydn: Piano Trio No. 39 in G major Hob. XV/25
- Mozart: Ave Verum Corpus, Leonard Bernstein
- What is McCarthyism? And how did it happen?
- The Corrs: Toss the Feathers
- Peter Falk’s Acceptance Speech for 1972 Emmy, for Colombo
- How Did Beethoven Compose His 9th Symphony After He Went Completely Deaf?