Weekend: Partly cloudy, rising chances of thunderstorms as each day progresses, high in the lower 90s throughout, lows in the 70s. Details here.
Drought Index is at 29.
Today’s tides: at the beaches, at the Intracoastal Waterway.
Today’s document from the National Archives.
The OED’s Word of the Day: overween, v..
The Live Community Calendar
Today’s jail bookings.
Today’s Briefing: Quick Links
- First Light
- In Flagler and Palm Coast
- Flagler Jail Bookings and Sheriff’s Crime Reports
- In State Government
- In Coming Days in Flagler, Palm Coast and Beyond
- The Day’s Best Reads
- Fact-Checking the Knaves
- Palm Coast Construction and Development
- Local Road and Interstate Construction
- Cultural Coda
Note: all government meetings noticed below are free and open to the public unless otherwise indicated. Many can be heard or seen live through each agency’s website.
The Sheriff’s daily incident reports and jail bookings are posted here.
Publishing Note: The Daily Briefing will not publish on Monday and Tuesday. Be sure to do like us and at most only pretend to work on Monday. Happy Independence Day Weekend.
Free For All Fridays on WNZF: Host David Ayres welcomes Flagler Beach City Manager Larry Newsom and Police Chief Matt Doughney, who’ll speak about the city’s traditional Independence Day events (parade, fireworks, traffic), John Roche of Healthy Mothers Healthy Babies will talk about the Zika virus, and the show will begin with a commentary by FlaglerLive Editor Pierre Tristam on President Trump’s swinish tweets.
Friday: The Flagler County School Board meets at 9 a.m. to close out the books on fiscal year 2016-17. The meeting is a formality. At the Government Services Building, Bunnell.
Friday: Florida’s House GOP elects the new Speaker of the House, with Palm Coast’s Paul Renner one of four candidates, and a possible front-runner. The three other candidates are Rep. Jamie Grant of Tampa, Rep. Byron Donalds of Naples and Rep. Erin Grall of Vero Beach.
Saturday: Flagler Beach government celebrates the reopening of the Flagler Beach Pier, after an eight-month repair quarantine because of damage from Hurricane Matthew, with a ribbon-cutting at 9 a.m. at the pier.
Saturday, Sunday: Flagler County and Flagler Beach first responders and officials will hand out disaster preparedness guides Residents can pick up a guide at Publix supermarkets in Flagler Beach, the Hammock, and Palm Coast at the Island Walk location only, between the hours of 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. The 24-page guide is a tool for preparation, and has an abundance of information that is always useful – regardless of the season – such as the difference between a weather watch and a weather warning. A watch is issued when hazardous weather conditions are possible, and a warning is issued when hazardous weather has already been detected or is imminent.
Monday: 9 p.m. Fireworks for Independence Day at Central Park in Town Center, 975 Central Ave., Palm Coast. Pack your picnic basket, bring your blanket and chairs to watch the colorful display beginning at 9 p.m. Pre-fireworks activities will begin at 5 p.m. More info: 386-986-2323.
Independence Day: By the Dawn’s Early Light Independence Day Ceremony, 8 a.m. at Heroes Memorial Park, 2860 Palm Coast Pkwy., Palm Coast. Join your fellow community members in paying tribute to the nation on its birthday.
Independence Day: Choral Arts Society Presents “Celebrate America!” a concert of Americana and Patriotic music with many of your favorites. There is no admission charge, but tax-free donations are accepted to assist in providing scholarships to local college-bound students. 1 p.m. at St Thomas Episcopal Church, 5400 Belle Terre Parkway, Palm Coast.
Summer Time ‘Cupcake Citation’ Program in Bunnell, from July 3rd through August 7
The Bunnell Police Department has teamed up with a local Bunnell business owner, Theresa Tazwell, owner of Cupcake Café, to seek out all good kids in our neighborhoods. Our Officers will issue a Cupcake Citation good for one free cupcake to all kids observed doing the right thing. The “Recipe for a Citation” is detailed on the citation:
- Be Respectful
- Be Honest
- Be Responsible
- Be Grateful
- Be Kind
This program gets the Officers out of their vehicles and encourages the following:
- Promotes a positive one-on-one experience with a police officer.
- The kids see officers as friends and mentors.
- Help build bridges of trust, understanding and civic responsibility.
- And is an investment in our community.
The Bunnell Police Department advocates “Building community relationships through integrity, trust and communication” and the Cup Cake Citation initiative will help build relationships in a positive setting.
New Voting Precincts and Precinct Boundaries in Flagler-Palm Coast
From Elections Supervisor Kaiti Lenhart: In preparation for upcoming election cycles, new precinct boundaries have been approved to accommodate areas of growth in the county. Several voting locations have been impacted. Proposed changes to Flagler County precinct boundaries were presented to the Board of County Commissioners during their public workshop held on May 15, 2017. Two additional precincts were created and the boundaries of several other precincts were adjusted to shift voters from very heavily populated areas. The proposed changes were adopted during the regular meeting of the Board of County Commissioners on June 19, 2017. Affected voters can expect to receive a new Voter Information Card by the end of July 2017. For more information, please call (386) 313-4170. View the new precinct map and related information.
Friday is the final day that state Chief Financial Officer Jeff Atwater will serve in his Cabinet post. Atwater announced his resignation earlier in the year to become a vice president at Florida Atlantic University.
Saturday: The state’s new budget takes effect: The 2017-2018 fiscal year begins July 1, with a new budget and dozens of new laws taking effect.
To include your event in this section, please fill out this form.
— Mark Lane (@OtherMarkLane) June 29, 2017
— The New Republic (@newrepublic) June 29, 2017
Orbiter captures stunning image of ancient 'lava falls' on Mars https://t.co/cCVSrTI6RC
— Daily Mail Online (@MailOnline) June 29, 2017
— Telegraph Breaking News (@TelegraphNews) June 29, 2017
— New Statesman (@NewStatesman) June 29, 2017
The following is an update of ongoing permitting, construction and development projects in Palm Coast, through June 24 (the city administration’s full week in review is here):
Joachim Horsley’s “Beethoven in Havana”: What the Piano Can Do
- Bojan Cicic and Richard Egarr: Giovanni Carbonelli’s Violin Sonata No. 1
- Voyager: The 116 images NASA wants aliens to see
- Bohemian Rhapsody: Brooklyn Duo and Ft. Dover Quartet
- Down in the River to Pray: University of Texas Tuba/Euphonium Studio
- Brahms : Piano Quartet No. 1 in G minor, op. 25
- The Reluctant Fundamentalist: Mohsin Hamid in Conversation with Akhil Sharma
- “The Day After” (1983)
- Rui Arayama Performs Domenico Scarlatti’s Sonatas K.427 & K.455
- Villa-Lobos: Bachianas Brasileiras
- Angelina Jordan, 10 Years Old Norwegian, Sings the Blues: I Put A Spell On You
- Joseph Bodin de Boismortier (1689-1755), Concerto in B Minor for five Recorders Op. 15 Nr. 4, Abateva
- Introduction to Bullshit
- Chopin: 24 Etudes for Piano Op.10 , Op 25, Lukas Genjušas, Piano
- Alike: The Best Short Film Ever
- Fauré’s Requiem, Performed by the Ensemble Orchestral de Paris, Choeur Accentus
- Arthur Rubinstein Performs Saint-Saëns’s Piano Concerto No 2 in G minor, Op 22
- Mendelssohn’s Symphony No. 5, Reformation: Jérémie Rhorer Conducts the Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra
- C.P.E. Bach Keyboard Sonata in F sharp minor, Wq 52 4
- Boccherini: Quintet with Guitar G 448 D-Major
- Jean-Baptiste Poyard Performs Telemann’s Violin Fantasia n°1
- Eudora Welty Reads “A Worn Path”
- Francis Poulenc at the piano
- Antonin Dvořák: Romance for Violin and Orchestra performed by Tanja Sonc
- Joseph Haydn’s Symphony Nr. 66 in F major, Herbert Blomstedt, cond.
- Sarah Chang Plays Elgar’s Damn Romantic Salut d’amour, Op. 12
- Beethoven: Symphony No. 7, Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Iván Fischer, cond.
- Rimsky-Korsakov, Russian Easter Festival Overture, Op. 36
- Händel: Keyboard Suite HWV 428, Daria van den Bercken, piano
- Haydn: Piano Trio No. 39 in G major Hob. XV/25
- Mozart: Ave Verum Corpus, Leonard Bernstein
- What is McCarthyism? And how did it happen?
- The Corrs: Toss the Feathers
- Peter Falk’s Acceptance Speech for 1972 Emmy, for Colombo
- How Did Beethoven Compose His 9th Symphony After He Went Completely Deaf?
- Ray Chen Performs Mendelssohn’s Violin Concerto in E minor, Op. 64
- The Well Tempered Clavier, Book 1,HJ Lim, Piano
- Alicia de Larrocha plays Two Spanish Dances By Granados
- Comparone Plays a Scarlatti Sonata
- C. A. de Beriot, scene de Ballet, Daniel Shindarov, violin, Sergey Silvanskiy, piano
- Johnny Cash: Sunday Morning Coming Down
- Cinema Paradiso: The Main Theme