Today: Partly cloudy. Slight chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning, then chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 80s inland… In the mid 80s coast. East winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent. Tonight: Mostly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening. Lows in the mid 70s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Details here.
Drought Index is at 7.
Today’s tides: at the beaches, at the Intracoastal Waterway.
Today’s document from the National Archives.
The OED’s Word of the Day: nancy story, n..
The Live Community Calendar
Today’s jail bookings.
Today’s Briefing: Quick Links
- First Light
- In Flagler and Palm Coast
- Flagler Jail Bookings and Sheriff’s Crime Reports
- In State Government
- In Coming Days in Flagler, Palm Coast and Beyond
- The Day’s Best Reads
- Fact-Checking the Knaves
- Palm Coast Construction and Development
- Local Road and Interstate Construction
- Cultural Coda
Note: all government meetings noticed below are free and open to the public unless otherwise indicated. Many can be heard or seen live through each agency’s website.
The Sheriff’s daily incident reports and jail bookings are posted here.
Professional Women’s Council Meeting: Introducing the Flagler County Chamber’s Professional Women’s Council, a new group created to encourage, educate and empower local women in business. If you are looking to connect, learn and make a difference, we invite you to attend the meeting at 9 a.m. at the Chamber, 20 Airport Road, Suite C.
The Daytona State College Board of Trustees meets at 2 p.m., Daytona State College, Wetherell Center, Daytona Beach.
F Section Residents For Safety meet at the Hispanic American Club of Palm Coast, 5 Commercial Park, at 6:30 p.m. The meeting is to “give voice to the citizens of Palm Coast who find the proposed path by the City Council through the FPL cut through unacceptable,” according to the group’s Facebook page.
- Divided Palm Coast Council Sticks With Controversial FPL Path in F-Section, But Alternatives Still Possible
- Controversial FPL Footpath Through F Section Back on Agenda as 2 Council Members Demand Options
- Matanzas Students Want F-Section Path, But Opponents Say City Should Build Sidewalk On Old Kings Instead
St. Augustine’s Summer Concert Series, in the Plaza de la Constitución, 7 p.m., Park downtown, and come on down rain or shine – the only way you know if it’s cancelled, is to be at the Plaza (or wait for the post on social media). This evening’s concert: Big Pineapple plays the sweet sounds of the Hawaiian Islands. Featuring the instrumental wizardry of Rocky Blaze on Ukulele, Gary Goldsmith on Hawaiian Steel Guitar and Randy Day on Bass, BIG Pineapple’s smooth renditions of contemporary and traditional island favorites evoke the romantic moods and exotic settings of old Hawaii. Expertly blending 1930’s and 40’s Jazz, Bossa Nova, Country and Swing music, BIG Pineapple has developed a unique, fresh sound firmly rooted in classic Hawaiian music.
Friends of Israel Dinner: Church on the Rock hosts a fellowship dinner at 6 p.m. followed by worship and a guest speaker. Dinner is free. Please contact the church office at 437-9915 for your reservation or fill it out online at www.churchontherockpc.com. A love offering will be taken for the International Christian Embassy in Jerusalem.
New Voting Precincts and Precinct Boundaries in Flagler-Palm Coast
From Elections Supervisor Kaiti Lenhart: In preparation for upcoming election cycles, new precinct boundaries have been approved to accommodate areas of growth in the county. Several voting locations have been impacted. Proposed changes to Flagler County precinct boundaries were presented to the Board of County Commissioners during their public workshop held on May 15, 2017. Two additional precincts were created and the boundaries of several other precincts were adjusted to shift voters from very heavily populated areas. The proposed changes were adopted during the regular meeting of the Board of County Commissioners on June 19, 2017. Affected voters can expect to receive a new Voter Information Card by the end of July 2017. For more information, please call (386) 313-4170. View the new precinct map and related information.
Parole: The Florida Commission on Offender Review will continue two days of meetings in Brevard County and discuss numerous parole cases related to crimes committed in the 1970s and 1980s. Florida abolished parole in the mid-1990s. (9 a.m., Melbourne Probation and Parole Office, 1500 West Eau Gallie Blvd., Melbourne.)
The Florida Supreme Court is expected to release its weekly opinions at 11 a.m.
To include your event in this section, please fill out this form.
Prosecutions under the Espionage Act had been relatively rare, limited almost entirely to spies — until recently. https://t.co/fKr2vPrcF2
— NPR (@NPR) June 28, 2017
Always happy to talk with @KDKAPMNews. We talked about health care. Here's "The Facts on the GOP Health Care Bills." https://t.co/SNqlbYGLHc
— Eugene Kiely (@ekiely) June 28, 2017
— NYT Sports (@NYTSports) June 28, 2017
— Jay Rosen (@jayrosen_nyu) June 28, 2017
The following is an update of ongoing permitting, construction and development projects in Palm Coast, through June 24 (the city administration’s full week in review is here):
Joachim Horsley’s “Beethoven in Havana”: What the Piano Can Do
- Bojan Cicic and Richard Egarr: Giovanni Carbonelli’s Violin Sonata No. 1
- Voyager: The 116 images NASA wants aliens to see
- Bohemian Rhapsody: Brooklyn Duo and Ft. Dover Quartet
- Down in the River to Pray: University of Texas Tuba/Euphonium Studio
- Brahms : Piano Quartet No. 1 in G minor, op. 25
- The Reluctant Fundamentalist: Mohsin Hamid in Conversation with Akhil Sharma
- “The Day After” (1983)
- Rui Arayama Performs Domenico Scarlatti’s Sonatas K.427 & K.455
- Villa-Lobos: Bachianas Brasileiras
- Angelina Jordan, 10 Years Old Norwegian, Sings the Blues: I Put A Spell On You
- Joseph Bodin de Boismortier (1689-1755), Concerto in B Minor for five Recorders Op. 15 Nr. 4, Abateva
- Introduction to Bullshit
- Chopin: 24 Etudes for Piano Op.10 , Op 25, Lukas Genjušas, Piano
- Alike: The Best Short Film Ever
- Fauré’s Requiem, Performed by the Ensemble Orchestral de Paris, Choeur Accentus
- Arthur Rubinstein Performs Saint-Saëns’s Piano Concerto No 2 in G minor, Op 22
- Mendelssohn’s Symphony No. 5, Reformation: Jérémie Rhorer Conducts the Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra
- C.P.E. Bach Keyboard Sonata in F sharp minor, Wq 52 4
- Boccherini: Quintet with Guitar G 448 D-Major
- Jean-Baptiste Poyard Performs Telemann’s Violin Fantasia n°1
- Eudora Welty Reads “A Worn Path”
- Francis Poulenc at the piano
- Antonin Dvořák: Romance for Violin and Orchestra performed by Tanja Sonc
- Joseph Haydn’s Symphony Nr. 66 in F major, Herbert Blomstedt, cond.
- Sarah Chang Plays Elgar’s Damn Romantic Salut d’amour, Op. 12
- Beethoven: Symphony No. 7, Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Iván Fischer, cond.
- Rimsky-Korsakov, Russian Easter Festival Overture, Op. 36
- Händel: Keyboard Suite HWV 428, Daria van den Bercken, piano
- Haydn: Piano Trio No. 39 in G major Hob. XV/25
- Mozart: Ave Verum Corpus, Leonard Bernstein
- What is McCarthyism? And how did it happen?
- The Corrs: Toss the Feathers
- Peter Falk’s Acceptance Speech for 1972 Emmy, for Colombo
- How Did Beethoven Compose His 9th Symphony After He Went Completely Deaf?
- Ray Chen Performs Mendelssohn’s Violin Concerto in E minor, Op. 64
- The Well Tempered Clavier, Book 1,HJ Lim, Piano
- Alicia de Larrocha plays Two Spanish Dances By Granados
- Comparone Plays a Scarlatti Sonata
- C. A. de Beriot, scene de Ballet, Daniel Shindarov, violin, Sergey Silvanskiy, piano
- Johnny Cash: Sunday Morning Coming Down
- Cinema Paradiso: The Main Theme