Today: Partly cloudy with chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning, then mostly cloudy with showers and thunderstorms likely in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 80s inland…in the mid 80s coast. Southwest winds 5 mph shifting to the southeast in the afternoon. Chance of rain 60 percent. Tonight: Mostly cloudy. Chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening, then slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after midnight. Lows in the lower 70s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30 percent. Details here.Drought Index is at 103.
Today’s tides: at the beaches, at the Intracoastal Waterway.
Today’s document from the National Archives.
The OED’s Word of the Day: Cyberia, n..
The Live Community Calendar
Today’s jail bookings.
Today’s Briefing: Quick Links
- First Light
- In Flagler and Palm Coast
- Flagler Jail Bookings and Sheriff’s Crime Reports
- In State Government
- In Coming Days in Flagler, Palm Coast and Beyond
- The Day’s Best Reads
- Fact-Checking the Knaves
- Palm Coast Construction and Development
- Local Road and Interstate Construction
- Cultural Coda
Note: all government meetings noticed below are free and open to the public unless otherwise indicated. Many can be heard or seen live through each agency’s website.
The Sheriff’s daily incident reports and jail bookings are posted here.
A pre-trial hearing is scheduled for 11:15 a.m. in the case of Kimberle Weeks, the former elections supervisor, who faces five felony counts (down from 12) related to electronic recordings. The hearing had been scheduled for May 19 but was pushed to June 15. It appears Weeks has again changed attorneys. She had been represented by the Ali and Blankner law firm in Orlando. Kevin Kulik and Ashley Kay of the 2-attorney Kevin Kulik law firm in Fort Lauderdale have filed notice that they will be representing Weeks. The pre-trial is set before Circuit Judge Margaret Hudson in Courtroom 402, though the room is subject to change.
The Florida Supreme Court is expected to release its weekly opinions at 11 a.m.
Sen. Aaron Bean, R-Fernandina Beach, will discuss issues related to healthy lifestyles at a Students Working Against Tobacco, or SWAT, camp. (2 p.m., American Lung Association, 6852 Belfort Oaks Place, Jacksonville.)
To include your event in this section, please fill out this form.
— David Cay Johnston (@DavidCayJ) June 14, 2017
There's a lot going on right now, but keep an eye on the courts https://t.co/nK28P7yge6
— Charles P. Pierce (@CharlesPPierce) June 14, 2017
— Human Rights Watch (@hrw) June 14, 2017
— The Hill (@thehill) June 14, 2017
— Michiko Kakutani (@michikokakutani) June 14, 2017
The following is an update of ongoing permitting, construction and development projects in Palm Coast, through June 8 (the city administration’s full week in review is here):
The Reluctant Fundamentalist: Mohsin Hamid in Conversation with Akhil Sharma
- “The Day After” (1983)
- Rui Arayama Performs Domenico Scarlatti’s Sonatas K.427 & K.455
- Villa-Lobos: Bachianas Brasileiras
- Angelina Jordan, 10 Years Old Norwegian, Sings the Blues: I Put A Spell On You
- Joseph Bodin de Boismortier (1689-1755), Concerto in B Minor for five Recorders Op. 15 Nr. 4, Abateva
- Introduction to Bullshit
- Chopin: 24 Etudes for Piano Op.10 , Op 25, Lukas Genjušas, Piano
- Alike: The Best Short Film Ever
- Fauré’s Requiem, Performed by the Ensemble Orchestral de Paris, Choeur Accentus
- Arthur Rubinstein Performs Saint-Saëns’s Piano Concerto No 2 in G minor, Op 22
- Mendelssohn’s Symphony No. 5, Reformation: Jérémie Rhorer Conducts the Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra
- C.P.E. Bach Keyboard Sonata in F sharp minor, Wq 52 4
- Boccherini: Quintet with Guitar G 448 D-Major
- Jean-Baptiste Poyard Performs Telemann’s Violin Fantasia n°1
- Eudora Welty Reads “A Worn Path”
- Francis Poulenc at the piano
- Antonin Dvořák: Romance for Violin and Orchestra performed by Tanja Sonc
- Joseph Haydn’s Symphony Nr. 66 in F major, Herbert Blomstedt, cond.
- Sarah Chang Plays Elgar’s Damn Romantic Salut d’amour, Op. 12
- Beethoven: Symphony No. 7, Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Iván Fischer, cond.
- Rimsky-Korsakov, Russian Easter Festival Overture, Op. 36
- Händel: Keyboard Suite HWV 428, Daria van den Bercken, piano
- Haydn: Piano Trio No. 39 in G major Hob. XV/25
- Mozart: Ave Verum Corpus, Leonard Bernstein
- What is McCarthyism? And how did it happen?
- The Corrs: Toss the Feathers
- Peter Falk’s Acceptance Speech for 1972 Emmy, for Colombo
- How Did Beethoven Compose His 9th Symphony After He Went Completely Deaf?
- Ray Chen Performs Mendelssohn’s Violin Concerto in E minor, Op. 64
- The Well Tempered Clavier, Book 1,HJ Lim, Piano
- Alicia de Larrocha plays Two Spanish Dances By Granados
- Comparone Plays a Scarlatti Sonata
- C. A. de Beriot, scene de Ballet, Daniel Shindarov, violin, Sergey Silvanskiy, piano
- Johnny Cash: Sunday Morning Coming Down
- Cinema Paradiso: The Main Theme
- Duke Ellington’s Take the A Train
- The Temptations and the Four Tops in a Motown Medley
- Sheku Kanneh-Mason Performs Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah,” Arranged By Tom Hodge
- Alessandro Marcello’s Oboe Concerto
- Isaac Albéniz, Suite Iberia, Félix Ardanaz, piano
- Johannes Ockeghem: Ave Maria