Today: Partly cloudy. A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 90s inland… In the upper 80s coast. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph. Heat index readings 101 to 105. Tonight: Partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 70s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Details here.
Drought Index is at 82.
Today’s tides: at the beaches, at the Intracoastal Waterway.
Today’s document from the National Archives.
The OED’s Word of the Day: Airedale, n..
The Live Community Calendar
Today’s jail bookings.
Today’s Briefing: Quick Links
- First Light
- In Flagler and Palm Coast
- Flagler Jail Bookings and Sheriff’s Crime Reports
- In State Government
- In Coming Days in Flagler, Palm Coast and Beyond
- The Day’s Best Reads
- Fact-Checking the Knaves
- Palm Coast Construction and Development
- Local Road and Interstate Construction
- Cultural Coda
The Sheriff’s daily incident reports and jail bookings are posted here.
Levi Ovenshire, the 19-year-old resident of Palm Coast’s F Section, has a felony arraignment before Circuit Judge Dennis Craig at 8:30 a.m. in Courtroom 401 at the Flagler County courthouse. Ovenshire faces an attempted murder charge in the alleged shooting of Marco Salazar, 19, in Ovenshire’s house on June 24. Ovenshire also faces a fleeing and eluding charge. Both charges are second-degree felonies.
The Flagler County Commission and the Flagler Beach City Commission hold a joint workshop to discuss the latest in dunes and beach restoration efforts following Hurricane Matthew. 1 p.m. at the Emergency Operations Center, behind the Government Services Building, Bunnell. The Flagler County Commission also meets for a regularly scheduled meeting at 9 a.m., Government Services Building.
In Flagler County Schools: Pre Planning Day for teachers, Indian Trails Middle School computer deployment for students.
Blood donations on the Big Red Bus:
- Tuesday at Matanzas High School fopm 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Wednesday at Florida Hospital Flagler from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Thursday at Fantastic Sams, 5200 East State Road 100, Unit 103B (Target Shopping Center), from 2 to 7 p.m.
- Saturday at Winn Dixie off Palm Coast Parkway, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
For a full list of dates and locations for the bus, go here.
Traffic signal loops to be installed, causing some lane closures on Belle Terre Parkway on night of Aug. 8: The City of Palm Coast’s Public Works Department will be replacing three traffic signal loops at the intersection of southbound Belle Terre Parkway and westbound Palm Coast Parkway on the night of Tuesday, Aug. 8, and there will be some lane closures while the work is being done. The work will begin at 9 p.m. Deputies will be assisting with traffic control. Motorists and other travelers should expect traffic delays. The City of Palm Coast appreciates the patience and cooperation of the public during this important traffic signal loop installation project. For more information, call Customer Service at 386-986-2360.
Flagler County building inspectors to keep earlier hours: Beginning Aug. 7, Flagler County building inspectors will keep earlier hours that align with those worked by contractors. The new hours will be from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday for building inspectors who work in the field. Other team members who work in the Central Permitting Department will maintain 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. hours. “This should expedite the process,” said Mark Boice, Flagler County’s chief building inspector. “Contractors and sub-contractors tend to work from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. because of Florida’s heat. This will make it easier for us to meet with them.” Questions should be directed to 386-313-4003.
Sen. Dorothy Hukill, R-Port Orange, will attend a groundbreaking ceremony for the Mike Eader Turnbull Bay Bridge and take part in a roundtable discussion hosted by CareerSource Flagler/Volusia. (Monday, groundbreaking at 9 a.m., east side of Turnbull Bay Bridge, New Smyrna Beach. Also, 2 p.m., CareerSource Orange City Career Center, 846 Saxon Blvd, Orange City.)
Agriculture Commissioner Adam Putnam will host an “Operation Outdoor Freedom” event for Purple Heart recipients and their families. The event will include a barbecue and airboat and swamp-buggy rides. (11:30 a.m., Camp Prairie, 21279 Kissimmee Shores Road, Lake Wales.)
To include your event in this section, please fill out this form.
— Pew Research Center (@pewresearch) August 6, 2017
— FRONTLINE (@frontlinepbs) August 6, 2017
Watergate veterans: 'This is history repeating itself.'https://t.co/kI1ZYgiYXo
— Kyle Griffin (@kylegriffin1) August 6, 2017
— Jonathan Chait (@jonathanchait) August 6, 2017
— NY Public Library (@nypl) August 6, 2017
How solar and lunar eclipses work — and why this month's event will be such a huge deal: pic.twitter.com/5h68CcWTeR
— Vox (@voxdotcom) August 6, 2017
The following is an update of ongoing permitting, construction and development projects in Palm Coast, through July 26 (the city administration’s full week in review is here):
Black Violin at Apollo Amateur Night
- Bach’s Beer Bottles: The Art of Fugue, Contrapunctus 1
- Mozart’s Only String Trio, K563
- Sibelius’s Violin Concerto, Ida Haendel, Violin
- Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue: Marcus Roberts Trio, Seiji Ozawa, Cond. (2003)
- Wynton Marsalis takes the Horn Challenge
- Beethoven String Quartet No. 14 in C-sharp minor, Op. 131, Afiara Quartet
- K.D. Lang: The Mind of Love
- World’s Oldest Violin: Marco Rizzi Performs Schumann’s Sonata No. 2 on a 1566 Amati Violin
- Mark Knopfler on Guitars
- Bach’s Little Fugue in G minor, Performed by the Canadian Brass
- The Adventures of Henry Thoreau: A Young Man’s Unlikely Path to Walden Pond
- Macklemore Feat Skylar Grey: Glorious
- Edward Luce On the Retreat of Western Liberalism in the Trump Era
- Why Don’t All Instruments Sound The Same?
- Joachim Horsley’s “Beethoven in Havana”: What the Piano Can Do
- Bojan Cicic and Richard Egarr: Giovanni Carbonelli’s Violin Sonata No. 1
- Voyager: The 116 images NASA wants aliens to see
- Bohemian Rhapsody: Brooklyn Duo and Ft. Dover Quartet
- Down in the River to Pray: University of Texas Tuba/Euphonium Studio
- Brahms : Piano Quartet No. 1 in G minor, op. 25
- The Reluctant Fundamentalist: Mohsin Hamid in Conversation with Akhil Sharma
- “The Day After” (1983)
- Rui Arayama Performs Domenico Scarlatti’s Sonatas K.427 & K.455
- Villa-Lobos: Bachianas Brasileiras
- Angelina Jordan, 10 Years Old Norwegian, Sings the Blues: I Put A Spell On You
- Joseph Bodin de Boismortier (1689-1755), Concerto in B Minor for five Recorders Op. 15 Nr. 4, Abateva
- Introduction to Bullshit
- Chopin: 24 Etudes for Piano Op.10 , Op 25, Lukas Genjušas, Piano
- Alike: The Best Short Film Ever
- Fauré’s Requiem, Performed by the Ensemble Orchestral de Paris, Choeur Accentus
- Arthur Rubinstein Performs Saint-Saëns’s Piano Concerto No 2 in G minor, Op 22
- Mendelssohn’s Symphony No. 5, Reformation: Jérémie Rhorer Conducts the Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra
- C.P.E. Bach Keyboard Sonata in F sharp minor, Wq 52 4
- Boccherini: Quintet with Guitar G 448 D-Major
- Jean-Baptiste Poyard Performs Telemann’s Violin Fantasia n°1
- Eudora Welty Reads “A Worn Path”
- Francis Poulenc at the piano
- Antonin Dvořák: Romance for Violin and Orchestra performed by Tanja Sonc