Today: Partly cloudy with chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning, then mostly cloudy with showers and thunderstorms likely in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 90s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent. Heat index readings 101 to 105. Partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 70s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Details here.
Today’s document from the National Archives and the Astronomy Picture of the Day.
Today’s tides: at the beaches, at the Intracoastal Waterway.
Drought Index is at 19.
The OED’s Word of the Day: mentimutation, n..
The Live Community Calendar
Today’s jail bookings.
Today’s Briefing: Quick Links
- First Light
- In Flagler and Palm Coast
- Flagler Jail Bookings and Sheriff’s Crime Reports
- In State Government
- In Coming Days in Flagler, Palm Coast and Beyond
- The Day’s Best Reads
- Fact-Checking the Knaves
- Palm Coast Construction and Development
- Local Road and Interstate Construction
- Cultural Coda
Note: all government meetings noticed below are free and open to the public unless otherwise indicated. Many can be heard or seen live through each agency’s website.
The Sheriff’s daily incident reports and jail bookings are posted here.
Rep. Paul Renner, the Palm Coast Republican, receive a “Partner in Workforce Excellence” award at CareerSource Flagler Volusia at 2 p.m. at 20 Airport Road, Suite E, Palm Coast, and provides a legislative update. At 3 p.m., Renner is at the Flagler Cares Coalition meeting to provide an update on legislation impacting health and social service systems in Flagler County and statewide, Florida Hospital Flagler, 60 Memorial Medical Pkwy, Classroom A & B.
The Bunnell City Commission holds another budget workshop at 6 p.m. at City Hall, discussing its water, sewer and garbage funds, then a meeting at 7 p.m., when commissioners are expected to discuss naming the park on Booe Street.
American Red Cross Whale Tales Water Safety Class, 11:15 a.m.-noon at Frieda Zamba Pool, 339 Parkview Drive, Palm Coast. This program is taught to raise awareness of safe behavior in, on and around the water. The program is for young children ages 3-5, and is free. More info: 386-986-4741.
Cancellations: Meetings of the Flagler County Library Board of Trustees and the Flagler County Land Acquisition Committee scheduled for today were both cancelled.
Blood donations on the Big Red Bus:
- Monday: at the Palm Coast Walmart, 174 Cypress Point Parkway, 4 to 8 p.m.
- Tuesday: Florida Hospital Flagler, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Wednesday: The Post Office on Pine Cone Drive, Palm Coast, from noon to 5 p.m.
- Friday: Publix on Belle Terre Parkway, 4950 Belle Terre, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Saturday: Publix at Island Walk, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Sunday: Publix in the Hammock, 5415 North Oceanshore (A1A0, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
For a full list of dates and locations for the bus, go here.
You are Invited to a Senior Focus Group Wednesday, August 30: On behalf of the City of Palm Coast, ElderSource has been asked to facilitate a senior focus group to discuss the development of additional programs for seniors in Flagler County and the function of an expanded community center. As the City looks to its future and plans for a new facility, the City Council thought it would be in the best interest of the project to seek feedback, questions and commentary from the community before the project progressed any further. Any interested persons or parties are invited to attend and participate in this discussion. ElderSource is a non-profit agency designated by the state as the Area Agency on Aging and Aging & Disability Resource Center for Northeast Florida. ElderSource serves as the focal point to which older adults, adults with disabilities, caregivers, and the general public can receive information, referral, assistance and answers on aging issues. The focus group is scheduled for Wednesday, Aug. 30, from 10 to 11:30 a.m. at the community wing of Palm Coast City Hall, 160 Lake Avenue, in Town Center. If you are unable to attend and would like to submit comments, please email
[email protected] and these will be shared at the meeting.
Flagler County Seeking Veteran of the Year Nominations: The award will be presented to a living Flagler County veteran who has not only served the United States with honor, but has used the leadership skills and abilities learned in the military to improve the Flagler County community through selfless volunteer service. If you have a nominee in mind, details are here.
School construction: The Revenue Estimating Conference will discuss issues related to the Public Education Capital Outlay, or PECO, program. (Monday, 8:30 a.m., 117 Knott Building, the Capitol.)
Lobbyists’ pay: State lobbyists face a Monday deadline for filing reports about their compensation from April 1 through June 30.
To include your event in this section, please fill out this form.
Analysis: These are the three reasons fascism spread in 1930s America — and might spread again today https://t.co/s3Ax70Ce6w
— The Washington Post (@washingtonpost) August 14, 2017
— Al Jazeera English (@AJEnglish) August 14, 2017
— Open Culture (@openculture) August 14, 2017
The White House’s ethnonationalism is so retrograde that it had already been refuted more than a century ago. https://t.co/GXkDAwgD4t
— The New Yorker (@NewYorker) August 13, 2017
In 2017, the one thing every digital-native news outlet needs is a newsletter (not an app) https://t.co/bh0DzSXuL0
— Nieman Lab (@NiemanLab) August 13, 2017
"We are dealing with really profound problems." https://t.co/OD7lYRhDBx
— Science News (@ScienceNews) August 13, 2017
— Pew Research Center (@pewresearch) July 21, 2017
The following is an update of ongoing permitting, construction and development projects in Palm Coast, through July 26 (the city administration’s full week in review is here):
Nikolai Kedrov: Otche Nash (Our Father)
- Ludovico Einaudi, “Elegy for the Arctic”
- Black Violin at Apollo Amateur Night
- Bach’s Beer Bottles: The Art of Fugue, Contrapunctus 1
- Mozart’s Only String Trio, K563
- Sibelius’s Violin Concerto, Ida Haendel, Violin
- Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue: Marcus Roberts Trio, Seiji Ozawa, Cond. (2003)
- Wynton Marsalis takes the Horn Challenge
- Beethoven String Quartet No. 14 in C-sharp minor, Op. 131, Afiara Quartet
- K.D. Lang: The Mind of Love
- World’s Oldest Violin: Marco Rizzi Performs Schumann’s Sonata No. 2 on a 1566 Amati Violin
- Mark Knopfler on Guitars
- Bach’s Little Fugue in G minor, Performed by the Canadian Brass
- The Adventures of Henry Thoreau: A Young Man’s Unlikely Path to Walden Pond
- Macklemore Feat Skylar Grey: Glorious
- Edward Luce On the Retreat of Western Liberalism in the Trump Era
- Why Don’t All Instruments Sound The Same?
- Joachim Horsley’s “Beethoven in Havana”: What the Piano Can Do
- Bojan Cicic and Richard Egarr: Giovanni Carbonelli’s Violin Sonata No. 1
- Voyager: The 116 images NASA wants aliens to see
- Bohemian Rhapsody: Brooklyn Duo and Ft. Dover Quartet
- Down in the River to Pray: University of Texas Tuba/Euphonium Studio
- Brahms : Piano Quartet No. 1 in G minor, op. 25
- The Reluctant Fundamentalist: Mohsin Hamid in Conversation with Akhil Sharma
- “The Day After” (1983)
- Rui Arayama Performs Domenico Scarlatti’s Sonatas K.427 & K.455
- Villa-Lobos: Bachianas Brasileiras
- Angelina Jordan, 10 Years Old Norwegian, Sings the Blues: I Put A Spell On You
- Joseph Bodin de Boismortier (1689-1755), Concerto in B Minor for five Recorders Op. 15 Nr. 4, Abateva
- Introduction to Bullshit
- Chopin: 24 Etudes for Piano Op.10 , Op 25, Lukas Genjušas, Piano
- Alike: The Best Short Film Ever
- Fauré’s Requiem, Performed by the Ensemble Orchestral de Paris, Choeur Accentus
- Arthur Rubinstein Performs Saint-Saëns’s Piano Concerto No 2 in G minor, Op 22
- Mendelssohn’s Symphony No. 5, Reformation: Jérémie Rhorer Conducts the Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra
- C.P.E. Bach Keyboard Sonata in F sharp minor, Wq 52 4
- Boccherini: Quintet with Guitar G 448 D-Major
- Jean-Baptiste Poyard Performs Telemann’s Violin Fantasia n°1
- Eudora Welty Reads “A Worn Path”
- Francis Poulenc at the piano
- Antonin Dvořák: Romance for Violin and Orchestra performed by Tanja Sonc