Today: Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs around 90. East winds 5 to 10 mph. Heat index readings 99 to 103. Tonight: Partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 70s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Details here.
Drought Index is at 54.
Today’s tides: at the beaches, at the Intracoastal Waterway.
Today’s document from the National Archives.
The OED’s Word of the Day: pugil, n..
The Live Community Calendar
Today’s jail bookings.
Today’s Briefing: Quick Links
- First Light
- In Flagler and Palm Coast
- Flagler Jail Bookings and Sheriff’s Crime Reports
- In State Government
- In Coming Days in Flagler, Palm Coast and Beyond
- The Day’s Best Reads
- Fact-Checking the Knaves
- Palm Coast Construction and Development
- Local Road and Interstate Construction
- Cultural Coda
Note: all government meetings noticed below are free and open to the public unless otherwise indicated. Many can be heard or seen live through each agency’s website.
The Sheriff’s daily incident reports and jail bookings are posted here.
Flagler County schools resume today: keep your eyes on the road.
The Flagler Beach City Commission meets at 5:30 p.m. at City Hall. On its agenda: the much-anticipated second-reading vote on a proposed ban of all pot dispensaries in the city. The commission voted last month, 3-2, in favor of the ban.
The 2017 United States Lifesaving Association (USLA) National Lifeguard Championships is held on the beach behind the Ocean Walk Shoppes in Daytona Beach. The public is invited to watch the competitions from the beach. Spectators should plan to arrive early. Parking is available at the Ocean Center parking garage for $1 per hour or $5 per day. The Junior Lifeguard Championship will be Aug. 9, while the adult competitions will take place Aug. 10-12. Events, which will occur from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., include board races, surf swims, surf boat races, beach flag and rescue races, running relays, iron man and iron woman competitions and a 2K beach run. The much-anticipated beach flags final competition is set for 8 p.m. Friday, Aug. 11.
U.S. Rep. Ron DeSantis, who is mulling a run for governor, is slated to speak during a Daytona Regional Chamber of Commerce breakfast and at a Tiger Bay Club of Volusia County meeting. (Chamber breakfast, 7:30 a.m., LPGA International Golf Course, 1000 Champions Dr., Daytona Beach. Also, Tiger Bay, 11:45 a.m., LPGA Clubhouse, 1000 Champions Dr., Daytona Beach.)
Volusia-Flagler Easterseals: Sen. Dorothy Hukill, R-Port Orange, will take part in an Easterseals Volusia & Flagler Counties annual meeting and awards event. (Noon, Hampton Inn Daytona Speedway, 1715 West International Speedway Blvd., Daytona Beach.)
Blood donations on the Big Red Bus:
- Thursday at Fantastic Sams, 5200 East State Road 100, Unit 103B (Target Shopping Center), from 2 to 7 p.m.
- Saturday at Winn Dixie off Palm Coast Parkway, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
For a full list of dates and locations for the bus, go here.
Flagler County Seeking Veteran of the Year Nominations: The award will be presented to a living Flagler County veteran who has not only served the United States with honor, but has used the leadership skills and abilities learned in the military to improve the Flagler County community through selfless volunteer service. If you have a nominee in mind, details are here.
CAMPAIGN FINANCE REPORTS DUE: State political candidates and committees face a Thursday deadline for filing reports showing finance activity through July 31.
To include your event in this section, please fill out this form.
The Doomsday Clock is meant to represent how close we are to nuclear armageddon. This year it got even closer to midnight. pic.twitter.com/8ESojHrYTT
— Vox (@voxdotcom) August 9, 2017
— Brent Staples (@BrentNYT) August 8, 2017
Without a sober understanding of how solitary confinement became so prevalent, no movement against it will succeed https://t.co/WaEJSlYdxD
— Dissent Magazine (@DissentMag) August 8, 2017
— Pew Research Center (@pewresearch) August 9, 2017
— National Review (@NRO) August 9, 2017
The following is an update of ongoing permitting, construction and development projects in Palm Coast, through July 26 (the city administration’s full week in review is here):
Ludovico Einaudi, “Elegy for the Arctic”
- Black Violin at Apollo Amateur Night
- Bach’s Beer Bottles: The Art of Fugue, Contrapunctus 1
- Mozart’s Only String Trio, K563
- Sibelius’s Violin Concerto, Ida Haendel, Violin
- Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue: Marcus Roberts Trio, Seiji Ozawa, Cond. (2003)
- Wynton Marsalis takes the Horn Challenge
- Beethoven String Quartet No. 14 in C-sharp minor, Op. 131, Afiara Quartet
- K.D. Lang: The Mind of Love
- World’s Oldest Violin: Marco Rizzi Performs Schumann’s Sonata No. 2 on a 1566 Amati Violin
- Mark Knopfler on Guitars
- Bach’s Little Fugue in G minor, Performed by the Canadian Brass
- The Adventures of Henry Thoreau: A Young Man’s Unlikely Path to Walden Pond
- Macklemore Feat Skylar Grey: Glorious
- Edward Luce On the Retreat of Western Liberalism in the Trump Era
- Why Don’t All Instruments Sound The Same?
- Joachim Horsley’s “Beethoven in Havana”: What the Piano Can Do
- Bojan Cicic and Richard Egarr: Giovanni Carbonelli’s Violin Sonata No. 1
- Voyager: The 116 images NASA wants aliens to see
- Bohemian Rhapsody: Brooklyn Duo and Ft. Dover Quartet
- Down in the River to Pray: University of Texas Tuba/Euphonium Studio
- Brahms : Piano Quartet No. 1 in G minor, op. 25
- The Reluctant Fundamentalist: Mohsin Hamid in Conversation with Akhil Sharma
- “The Day After” (1983)
- Rui Arayama Performs Domenico Scarlatti’s Sonatas K.427 & K.455
- Villa-Lobos: Bachianas Brasileiras
- Angelina Jordan, 10 Years Old Norwegian, Sings the Blues: I Put A Spell On You
- Joseph Bodin de Boismortier (1689-1755), Concerto in B Minor for five Recorders Op. 15 Nr. 4, Abateva
- Introduction to Bullshit
- Chopin: 24 Etudes for Piano Op.10 , Op 25, Lukas Genjušas, Piano
- Alike: The Best Short Film Ever
- Fauré’s Requiem, Performed by the Ensemble Orchestral de Paris, Choeur Accentus
- Arthur Rubinstein Performs Saint-Saëns’s Piano Concerto No 2 in G minor, Op 22
- Mendelssohn’s Symphony No. 5, Reformation: Jérémie Rhorer Conducts the Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra
- C.P.E. Bach Keyboard Sonata in F sharp minor, Wq 52 4
- Boccherini: Quintet with Guitar G 448 D-Major
- Jean-Baptiste Poyard Performs Telemann’s Violin Fantasia n°1
- Eudora Welty Reads “A Worn Path”
- Francis Poulenc at the piano
- Antonin Dvořák: Romance for Violin and Orchestra performed by Tanja Sonc