Today: Partly cloudy. Highs in the lower 90s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Heat index readings 104 to 108 in the afternoon.Tonight: Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the mid 70s. South winds 5 to 10 mph. Details here.
Today’s document from the National Archives and the Astronomy Picture of the Day.
Today’s tides: at the beaches, at the Intracoastal Waterway.
Drought Index is at 82.
The OED’s Word of the Day: bothy, n..
The Live Community Calendar
Today’s jail bookings.
Today’s Briefing: Quick Links
- First Light
- In Flagler and Palm Coast
- Flagler Jail Bookings and Sheriff’s Crime Reports
- In State Government
- In Coming Days in Flagler, Palm Coast and Beyond
- The Day’s Best Reads
- Fact-Checking the Knaves
- Palm Coast Construction and Development
- Local Road and Interstate Construction
- Cultural Coda
Note: all government meetings noticed below are free and open to the public unless otherwise indicated. Many can be heard or seen live through each agency’s website.
The Sheriff’s daily incident reports and jail bookings are posted here.
Rymfire Elementary School Open House, 6 p.m. throughout the school.
International Overdose Awareness Day. An event to mark the occasion is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. at Flagler Beach’s Veterans Park, including a memorial service.
Flagler County Fire Rescue will be conducting fire training at the old Food Lion in Flagler Beach Thursday and Friday evening from 5 to 8 p.m. Different crews will be rotating through the training, using equipment not often used because of the size (square footage) of the structure. Additionally, they will be doing search and rescue using ropes to ensure the entire space is covered.
Friends of Israel Dessert Fellowship, Church on the Rock, 2200 N State St, Bunnell, 6 p.m. Fellowship over coffee and dessert and an evening of songs, prayers, and declarations over Israel. Speakers for the evening are Marvin Miller and Gloria Max of the Jewish Federation of Volusia and Flagler counties.
One-day roadwork Friday in Espanola: Three short residential roadways in Espanola will be paved Friday as part of the larger project to widen and resurface County Road 13 between U.S. 1 and County Road 205. Halifax Paving will complete the roadwork on Knox Jones Avenue, Lincoln Street, and Railroad Street. No vehicles should be parked on those streets between the hours of 7 a.m. and 6 p.m. Drivers will experience brief lane closures throughout the day.
Seniors with diabetes invited to participate in free class at Wickline: Seniors with diabetes are invited to participate in a free six-week class to be held at the George Wickline Senior Center in Flagler Beach. The class runs from 2 to 4:30 p.m. on Tuesdays, September 12 through October 17. ElderSource and the Northeast Florida Area Health Education Center are sponsoring the series of workshops. The program is free, but pre-registration is required. It is open to those who are 60 years or older, and who have diabetes. Those interested should call the Northeast Florida Area Health Education Center at 877-784-8486. Class dates are September 12, 19 and 26, and October 3, 10 and 17. The George Wickline Senior Center is at 800 S. Daytona Avenue, Flagler Beach. For more information about the Flagler County Senior Services Department go to www.flaglercounty.org/senior_services.
The Florida Supreme Court is expected to resume issuing weekly opinions after a summer break. (11 a.m.)
To include your event in this section, please fill out this form.
The arts aren’t a wasted buck for struggling communities. https://t.co/KyXcLZ36Oa
— OZY (@ozy) August 30, 2017
"I’ve seen a perceptible change that impacts my day-to-day job since literally the day after he won the election" https://t.co/S5LBWUweMU
— VANITY FAIR (@VanityFair) August 30, 2017
— The New Republic (@newrepublic) August 30, 2017
These are the countries with the most positive influence on the world https://t.co/FmEy5kypos
— The Independent (@Independent) August 30, 2017
The author of a novel is not always well placed to interpret it. Just ask Orhan Pamuk… https://t.co/t8pokJjGoA
— Arts & Letters Daily (@aldaily) August 30, 2017
Updates of ongoing permitting, construction and development projects in Palm Coast usually run here, along with a link to the city’s Week in Review. But the Week in Review, under the guise of being modernized, has become flashier and power-point like while becoming less substantive and dumbed down. We may or may not link to it in future.
How playing an instrument benefits your brain
- Mozart’s Requiem: Camerata Salzburg, Arsys Bourgogne, Cond.
- Repairing Willie Nelson’s guitar
- 100 Year Old Self-Playing Violin
- Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach Symphony B minor, Christophe Coin Ensemble Baroque, Limoges
- Wynton Marsalis Septet: Sunflowers (From The Marciac Suite Album)
- Nikolai Kedrov: Otche Nash (Our Father)
- Ludovico Einaudi, “Elegy for the Arctic”
- Black Violin at Apollo Amateur Night
- Bach’s Beer Bottles: The Art of Fugue, Contrapunctus 1
- Mozart’s Only String Trio, K563
- Sibelius’s Violin Concerto, Ida Haendel, Violin
- Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue: Marcus Roberts Trio, Seiji Ozawa, Cond. (2003)
- Wynton Marsalis takes the Horn Challenge
- Beethoven String Quartet No. 14 in C-sharp minor, Op. 131, Afiara Quartet
- K.D. Lang: The Mind of Love
- World’s Oldest Violin: Marco Rizzi Performs Schumann’s Sonata No. 2 on a 1566 Amati Violin
- Mark Knopfler on Guitars
- Bach’s Little Fugue in G minor, Performed by the Canadian Brass
- The Adventures of Henry Thoreau: A Young Man’s Unlikely Path to Walden Pond
- Macklemore Feat Skylar Grey: Glorious
- Edward Luce On the Retreat of Western Liberalism in the Trump Era
- Why Don’t All Instruments Sound The Same?
- Joachim Horsley’s “Beethoven in Havana”: What the Piano Can Do
- Bojan Cicic and Richard Egarr: Giovanni Carbonelli’s Violin Sonata No. 1
- Voyager: The 116 images NASA wants aliens to see
- Bohemian Rhapsody: Brooklyn Duo and Ft. Dover Quartet
- Down in the River to Pray: University of Texas Tuba/Euphonium Studio
- Brahms : Piano Quartet No. 1 in G minor, op. 25
- The Reluctant Fundamentalist: Mohsin Hamid in Conversation with Akhil Sharma
- “The Day After” (1983)
- Rui Arayama Performs Domenico Scarlatti’s Sonatas K.427 & K.455
- Villa-Lobos: Bachianas Brasileiras
- Angelina Jordan, 10 Years Old Norwegian, Sings the Blues: I Put A Spell On You
- Joseph Bodin de Boismortier (1689-1755), Concerto in B Minor for five Recorders Op. 15 Nr. 4, Abateva
- Introduction to Bullshit
- Chopin: 24 Etudes for Piano Op.10 , Op 25, Lukas Genjušas, Piano
- Alike: The Best Short Film Ever
- Fauré’s Requiem, Performed by the Ensemble Orchestral de Paris, Choeur Accentus
- Arthur Rubinstein Performs Saint-Saëns’s Piano Concerto No 2 in G minor, Op 22
- Mendelssohn’s Symphony No. 5, Reformation: Jérémie Rhorer Conducts the Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra