Today: Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the lower 90s. East winds 5 to 10 mph. Heat index readings 101 to 105. Tonight: Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the mid 70s. South winds 5 to 10 mph. Details here.
Today’s document from the National Archives and the Astronomy Picture of the Day.
Today’s tides: at the beaches, at the Intracoastal Waterway.
Drought Index is at 60.
The OED’s Word of the Day: ack emma, n. and adv..
The Live Community Calendar
Today’s jail bookings.
Today’s Briefing: Quick Links
- First Light
- In Flagler and Palm Coast
- Flagler Jail Bookings and Sheriff’s Crime Reports
- In State Government
- In Coming Days in Flagler, Palm Coast and Beyond
- The Day’s Best Reads
- Fact-Checking the Knaves
- Palm Coast Construction and Development
- Local Road and Interstate Construction
- Cultural Coda
Note: all government meetings noticed below are free and open to the public unless otherwise indicated. Many can be heard or seen live through each agency’s website.
The Sheriff’s daily incident reports and jail bookings are posted here.
The Flagler County Economic Opportunity Advisory Council meets at 9 a.m. in board chambers at the Government Services Building, Bunnell. School Board member Colleen Conklin is expected to speak to the council, as are Jason DeLorenzo of the Flagler Home Builders Association and Realtor Margaret Sheehan-Jones, with an update on local construction and development.
The Flagler County Parks and Recreation Advisory Board meets at 10 a.m. in the First Floor Conference Room, 1769 E. Moody Blvd., Bldg. 2, Bunnell.
Seniors with diabetes invited to participate in free class at Wickline: Seniors with diabetes are invited to participate in a free six-week class to be held at the George Wickline Senior Center in Flagler Beach. The class runs from 2 to 4:30 p.m. on Tuesdays, September 12 through October 17. ElderSource and the Northeast Florida Area Health Education Center are sponsoring the series of workshops. The program is free, but pre-registration is required. It is open to those who are 60 years or older, and who have diabetes. Those interested should call the Northeast Florida Area Health Education Center at 877-784-8486. Class dates are September 12, 19 and 26, and October 3, 10 and 17. The George Wickline Senior Center is at 800 S. Daytona Avenue, Flagler Beach. For more information about the Flagler County Senior Services Department go to www.flaglercounty.org/senior_services.
The Florida Agency for Health Care Administration will hold two meetings about behavioral-health services in the Medicaid program. Participants are expected to include representatives of managed-care plans and behavioral-health providers. (8:30 a.m. and 1 p.m., Central Florida Behavioral Health Network, 8920 Brittany Way, Tampa.)
Citizens rates: The Florida Office of Insurance Regulation will hold a public hearing about proposed rate increases by the state-backed Citizens Property Insurance Corp. Citizens proposed the increases in June, pointing to a surge in costly water-damage claims. The increases would vary by policy and property type, but, for example, would lead to an average 6.7 percent increase in rates for multi-peril homeowners’ policies. The Office of Insurance Regulation reviews and determines whether to approve rate increases. (4 p.m., Florida International University, Biscayne Bay Campus, Kovens Conference Center, 3000 N.E. 151st St., North Miami.)
To include your event in this section, please fill out this form.
Trump's Afghanistan war-expansion plan lacked basic details, most notably the number of Americans it might involve. https://t.co/5ALu6F4hoZ
— The New Yorker (@NewYorker) August 22, 2017
— alan mcpartland (@AlanMcpartlands) August 22, 2017
— CJR (@CJR) August 22, 2017
President Trump’s plan to change the tax code would also make himself much, much richer. Here’s how it works: pic.twitter.com/OK2Bj4bk2r
— Vox (@voxdotcom) August 22, 2017
— New Statesman (@NewStatesman) August 21, 2017
— High Times (@HIGH_TIMES_Mag) August 20, 2017
The following is an update of ongoing permitting, construction and development projects in Palm Coast, through July 26 (the city administration’s full week in review is here):
100 Year Old Self-Playing Violin
- Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach Symphony B minor, Christophe Coin Ensemble Baroque, Limoges
- Wynton Marsalis Septet: Sunflowers (From The Marciac Suite Album)
- Nikolai Kedrov: Otche Nash (Our Father)
- Ludovico Einaudi, “Elegy for the Arctic”
- Black Violin at Apollo Amateur Night
- Bach’s Beer Bottles: The Art of Fugue, Contrapunctus 1
- Mozart’s Only String Trio, K563
- Sibelius’s Violin Concerto, Ida Haendel, Violin
- Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue: Marcus Roberts Trio, Seiji Ozawa, Cond. (2003)
- Wynton Marsalis takes the Horn Challenge
- Beethoven String Quartet No. 14 in C-sharp minor, Op. 131, Afiara Quartet
- K.D. Lang: The Mind of Love
- World’s Oldest Violin: Marco Rizzi Performs Schumann’s Sonata No. 2 on a 1566 Amati Violin
- Mark Knopfler on Guitars
- Bach’s Little Fugue in G minor, Performed by the Canadian Brass
- The Adventures of Henry Thoreau: A Young Man’s Unlikely Path to Walden Pond
- Macklemore Feat Skylar Grey: Glorious
- Edward Luce On the Retreat of Western Liberalism in the Trump Era
- Why Don’t All Instruments Sound The Same?
- Joachim Horsley’s “Beethoven in Havana”: What the Piano Can Do
- Bojan Cicic and Richard Egarr: Giovanni Carbonelli’s Violin Sonata No. 1
- Voyager: The 116 images NASA wants aliens to see
- Bohemian Rhapsody: Brooklyn Duo and Ft. Dover Quartet
- Down in the River to Pray: University of Texas Tuba/Euphonium Studio
- Brahms : Piano Quartet No. 1 in G minor, op. 25
- The Reluctant Fundamentalist: Mohsin Hamid in Conversation with Akhil Sharma
- “The Day After” (1983)
- Rui Arayama Performs Domenico Scarlatti’s Sonatas K.427 & K.455
- Villa-Lobos: Bachianas Brasileiras
- Angelina Jordan, 10 Years Old Norwegian, Sings the Blues: I Put A Spell On You
- Joseph Bodin de Boismortier (1689-1755), Concerto in B Minor for five Recorders Op. 15 Nr. 4, Abateva
- Introduction to Bullshit
- Chopin: 24 Etudes for Piano Op.10 , Op 25, Lukas Genjušas, Piano
- Alike: The Best Short Film Ever
- Fauré’s Requiem, Performed by the Ensemble Orchestral de Paris, Choeur Accentus
- Arthur Rubinstein Performs Saint-Saëns’s Piano Concerto No 2 in G minor, Op 22
- Mendelssohn’s Symphony No. 5, Reformation: Jérémie Rhorer Conducts the Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra
- C.P.E. Bach Keyboard Sonata in F sharp minor, Wq 52 4
- Boccherini: Quintet with Guitar G 448 D-Major
- Jean-Baptiste Poyard Performs Telemann’s Violin Fantasia n°1
- Eudora Welty Reads “A Worn Path”
- Francis Poulenc at the piano
- Antonin Dvořák: Romance for Violin and Orchestra performed by Tanja Sonc