Today: Partly cloudy. Chance of showers and slight chance of thunderstorms in the morning, then chance of thunderstorms and slight chance of showers in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 80s. East winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 40 percent. Tonight: Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the lower 70s. East winds 5 to 10 mph. Details here.
Today’s document from the National Archives and the Astronomy Picture of the Day.
Today’s tides: at the beaches, at the Intracoastal Waterway.
Drought Index: 289
The OED’s Word of the Day: amaro, n..
The Live Community Calendar
Today’s jail bookings.
Today’s Briefing: Quick Links
- First Light
- In Flagler and Palm Coast
- Flagler Jail Bookings and Last 24 Hours of Incident Reports
- In State Government
- In Coming Days in Flagler, Palm Coast and Beyond
- Fact-Checking the Knaves
- Palm Coast Construction and Development
- Local Road and Interstate Construction
- Cultural Coda
Note: all government meetings noticed below are free and open to the public unless otherwise indicated. Many can be heard or seen live through each agency’s website.
The Sheriff’s daily incident reports and jail bookings are posted here.
The East Flagler Mosquito Control District board meets in regular session at 4:30 p.m. at the district’s office, 210 Airport Executive Drive, and for its budget hearing at 5 p.m. The district is approving a 10.25 percent tax increase above the rolled-back rate, which will result in an increase of 8 percent in revenue, to $1.95 million.
The Bunnell City Commission meets for its second budget hearing, when it will set next year’s tax rates, at 6:30 p.m. at City Hall, 201 West Moody Blvd., Bunnell. The hearing will be immediately followed by a regular meeting of the commission.
The Flagler County Stamp and Coin Club meets at 4:30 p.m. at the VFW Post 8696 47 N. Old Kings Road. From 4:30 – 6 p.m. the time is used for buying, selling and trading stamps and coins. The club meeting starts at 6 p.m. and ends at 7:30. There is a live auction of stamps and coins at the end of the meeting. The club is open for members, the general public, and all who are interested in stamp and coin collecting and investing. Free stamps and coin evaluations at all our meetings. The club is the only non-profit Stamp and Coin Club in Flagler County. For more information please visit the club’s web site.
Moonrise at the Beach: Join us for a moonrise at the beach at 7 p.m. You will learn fun and interesting facts about the moon and our coastal ecosystem. Enjoy the spectacular view! Bring binoculars and a camera for beautiful photo opportunities. All ages are welcome, minors must be accompanied by an adult. This event is subject to cancellation due to weather conditions. We will be meeting at the beachside pavilion on the east side of the park. Event is free with $5-per-carload park admission. Gamble Rogers Memorial State Recreation Area 3100 S Oceanshore Blvd, Flagler Beach.Any questions, please contact the Ranger Station at (386) 517-2086.
The Buddy Taylor Middle School Advisory Council meets at 5 p.m. at the school’s media center.
The Bunnell Elementary School Advisory Council meets at 5:30 p.m. at the school’s media center.
Free Embry–Riddle Speaker Series, 7 p.m. at the L. Gale Lemerand Auditorium, 739 W International Speedway Blvd, Daytona Beach. Sustainable Growth in an Era of Expansion in Our Region: In a panel moderated by Marc Bernier, Professor of Civil Engineering Jeff Brown, Assistant Professor of Humanities Taylor Joy Mitchell and Clay Henderson, Stetson University executive director of the Institute for Water and Environmental Resilience, will discuss the challenges and opportunities ahead during our current regional development expansion. An audience Q&A session is included in the program. Marc Bernier, Speaker Series Director and host of “The Marc Bernier Show” on FM93.5/AM1150 WNDB, will act as moderator.
Blood Donations: The Big Red Bus will be at the following locations this week (schedule your donation by going to the website and entering a Palm Coast zip code, then locating one of the venues below):
- Monday: Bealls, 1210 Palm Coast Parkway, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Monday: Hammock Beach Resort, 200 Ocean Crest Drive, Palm Coast, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Tuesday: Moe’s Southwest Grill, 250 Palm Coast Parkway, noon to 6 p.m.
- Wednesday: Flagler County Realtors Association (FCAR) building, 4101 East Moody Boulevard (SR 100), 8 a.m. to noon.
- Wednesday: Flagler Technical Institute, 5400 East Highway 100, Palm Coast, 4:30 to 8:30 p.m.
- Friday: Walmart, 174 Cypress Point Parkway, Palm Coast, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Friday: Sea My Home Realty, 4750 East Moody Blvd. (SR100), 1 to 6 p.m.
- Saturday: Epic Theaters, 1185 Central Avenue, Palm Coast, 1 to 6 p.m.
Jail Bookings and Last 24 Hours' Incidents in Flagler, Palm Coast, Flagler Beach, Bunnell
|Jail Bookings, June 19-22|
Sheriff's night shift incident reports, June 21
Sheriff's day shift incident reports, June 21
Flagler Beach's night shift incident reports, June 21
Flagler Beach's day shift incident reports, June 21
Bunnell police's night shift incident reports, June 21
Bunnell police's day shift incident reports, June 21
CITRUS GRANT APPLICATIONS DISCUSSED: The state Division of Emergency Management will hold a workshop about the process for citrus growers to apply for federal aid stemming from damage sustained by the industry in Hurricane Irma. (Monday, 9 a.m. USDA Horticultural Lab, 2001 South Rock Rd., Fort Pierce.)
LGBTQ GROUPS SUPPORT GILLUM: Democratic gubernatorial candidate Andrew Gillum is slated to appear at a rally in Miami-Dade County with the Human Rights Campaign, SAVE and Equality Florida. (Monday, 2:30 p.m., SAVE headquarters, 1951 N.W. Seventh Ave., Miami.)
JUDGE HEARS BID TO GET ON BALLOT: Leon County Circuit Judge Karen Gievers will hold a hearing in a lawsuit filed by Bruce Nathan, a physical therapist from Stuart who finished seventh out of eight candidates in last month’s Republican gubernatorial primary and is now trying to run as an independent. Nathan has also requested a temporary injunction to suspend the Nov. 6 general election for governor until his qualification is clarified. Nathan contends he had been registered with no political affiliation but was a Republican when he filed for the statewide campaign, paying the higher qualifying fee to run in the primary. As part of his argument to be placed on the November ballot, Nathan said state law declares the “candidate receiving the highest number cast in each contest in the primary election shall be declared nominated for such office.” However, he said state law is “open to interpretation” for its “absence of any statement about the candidates that did not receive the highest votes.” (Monday, 3 p.m., Leon County Courthouse, 301 South Monroe St., Tallahassee.)
—-Compiled by the News Service of Florida and FlaglerLive
To include your event in this section, please fill out this form.
Keep Up with Donald Trump’s attacks on the press through the ACLU’s running tab here.
Keep Up with mass shootings in a running database here.
Here’s a summary of the latest city developments as of Sept. 14, 2018, with a link to the full week in review here.
Víkingur Ólafsson: Philip Glass, Étude No. 5
- Ignaz Brüll: Sonata for Pianoforte, op. 73, 1st Mvt.
- Mozart: Clarinet Concerto in A major, K.622, Iceland Symphony Orchestra
- Couperin, Second Concert from ‘Concerts Royaux’
- Covering the New Wars: A Conversation with C.J. Chivers
- Erroll Garner: Where or When (1962)
- Joaquín Rodrigo’s Concierto de Aranjuez, Performed by Pepe Romero
- Rimsky-Korsakov’s Scheherazade, Vienna Philharmonic (Salzburg Festival 2005)
- Barenboim & Argerich : Mozart Sonata for Two Pianos, K.448
- Beethoven: Symphony No.6, the “Pastorale,” the Deutsche Kammerphilharmonie Bremen, Paavo Jarvi, dir.
- The Aquarium from Carnival of the Animals
- Aladdin Haddad Performs Albeniz’s Asturias
- Hector Berlioz: Trio “Arrival at Sais” (from “L´Enfance du Christ”, op. 25)
- Karajan: Dvorak Symphony No.8 Rehearsal
- Aretha Franklin: Full Concert (1971)
- Toru Takemitsu: From Me Flows What You Call Time
- Carl Nielsen’s Quintet op. 43 Performed by Carion
- Modest Musorgsky’s Pictures at an Exhibition for Woodwind Quintet
- Anton Reicha: Woodwind Quintet in Eb major op.88 no.2
- Balakirev: Islamey, Performed by Giuseppe Mentuccia
- Jean Rondeau Plays Soler’s Fandango
- Chloe Moriondo’s “La vie en rose”