Today: Partly cloudy. Slight chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning, then chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 90s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent. Heat index readings 98 to 102. Tonight: Partly cloudy. Chance of showers and slight chance of thunderstorms in the evening, then slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after midnight. Lows in the mid 70s. South winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30 percent. Details here.
Today’s document from the National Archives and the Astronomy Picture of the Day.
Today’s tides: at the beaches, at the Intracoastal Waterway.
Drought Index: 136
The OED’s Word of the Day: maunder, v.2.
The Live Community Calendar
Today’s jail bookings.
Today’s Briefing: Quick Links
- First Light
- In Flagler and Palm Coast
- Flagler Jail Bookings and Last 24 Hours of Incident Reports
- In State Government
- Cats and Dogs Looking For Homes
- In Coming Days in Flagler, Palm Coast and Beyond
- Fact-Checking the Knaves
- Palm Coast Construction and Development
- Local Road and Interstate Construction
- Cultural Coda
Note: all government meetings noticed below are free and open to the public unless otherwise indicated. Many can be heard or seen live through each agency’s website.
The Sheriff’s daily incident reports and jail bookings are posted here.
Primary election early voting in Flagler County at three locations: Flagler County Public Library, 2500 Palm Coast Parkway N.W., Palm Coast; Palm Coast Community Center at the corner of Clubhouse Drive and Palm Coast Parkway, 305 Palm Coast Parkway; and Supervisor of Elections Office in the Government Services Building, 1769 E. Moody Boulevard, Building 2, Suite 101, Bunnell.
In Court: Three trials are scheduled this week before Circuit Judge Terence Perkins, starting with jury selection on Monday: Hubert Bell, accused of possession weapons as a career criminal, drunk driving and cocaine possession; Terence Bennett, accused of cocaine sale; and Corey Lynch, accused of burglary. The cases may be pleaded out or continued before trial.
The Flagler County Commission meets in workshop at 3 p.m. to discuss large grants for large projects: an $8 million public infrastructure grant to build the long-talked-about Bunnell bypass road, connecting State Road 100 with U.S. 1; and a pair of grants totaling almost $14 million to build an industrial building at the county airport’s industrial park. At the Emergency Operations Center.
The Flagler County Commission meets in regular session at 5 p.m. at the Government Services Building, Bunnell. Commissioners will consider reappointing Mike Kuypers to the Land Acquisition Committee for an additional three-year term, and the reappointment of Arnold Levine and Michal Dembosz, as well as the appointment of David Ragsdale, to the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board for two-year terms. Commissioners will discuss 2019 legislative priorities.
The Bunnell City Commission meets at 6 p.m. for a workshop to interview two of four candidates for city manager: Lawrence McNaul at 6 p.m., and Rodney Lucas at 7 p.m., at City Hall. See McNaul’s resume here, and Lucas’s here. Two more interviews are scheduled for Tuesday evening.
Fall semester classes begin at Bethune-Cookman College. The freshman class of 2022 is anticipated to number 1,000 students, hailing from every state and some 30 countries.
Bunnell Elementary PTO meeting, 5 p.m. in the school cafeteria.
Blood Donations: The Big Red Bus will be at the following locations this week:
- Monday: Palm Coast Ford, 1150 Palm Coast Parkway , 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Wednesday: Florida Hospital Flagler, 60 Memorial Medical Parkway, Palm Coast, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Friday: Matanzas High School, 3535 Old Kings Road, Palm Coast, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Saturday: Epic Theaters, 1185 Central Avenue, Palm Coast, 1 to 7 p.m.
- Sunday: Metro Diner, 250 Palm Coast Parkway, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Sunday: Epic Theaters, 1185 Central Avenue, Palm Coast, 1 to 6 p.m.
Jail Bookings and Last 24 Hours' Incidents in Flagler, Palm Coast, Flagler Beach, Bunnell
|Jail Bookings, June 19-22
Sheriff's night shift incident reports, June 21
Sheriff's day shift incident reports, June 21
Flagler Beach's night shift incident reports, June 21
Flagler Beach's day shift incident reports, June 21
Bunnell police's night shift incident reports, June 21
Bunnell police's day shift incident reports, June 21
CITIZENS PANEL DISCUSSES RETIREMENT PLAN: The Retirement Plan Committee of the Citizens Property Insurance Corp. Board of Governors will hold a conference call to discuss updates and recommendations from human-resources staff members, plan administrator MassMutual and plan investment adviser Fiduciary First. (Monday, 10 a.m. Call-in number: 1-888-270-9936. Code: 4155253)
SHORE-BASED SHARK FISHING AT ISSUE: The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commissioner will hold one in a series of meetings to gather input on shore-based shark fishing. (Monday, 6 p.m., Piggotte Community Center, 504 Big Tree Road, South Daytona.)
—-Compiled by the News Service of Florida and FlaglerLive
To include your event in this section, please fill out this form.
|The following is provided as a service to Community Cats of Palm Coast and the Flagler Humane Society. Should you have a lost pet and would like it noticed here, please contact us at [email protected].|
Keep Up with Donald Trump’s attacks on the press through the ACLU’s running tab here.
Keep Up with mass shootings in a running database here.
Here’s a summary of the latest city developments as of Aug. 3, 2018, with a link to the full week in review here.
Karajan: Dvorak Symphony No.8 Rehearsal
From Michael Callaghan on YouTube: “Herbert von Karajan conducting a dress rehearsal of Dvorak’s Symphony No.8 in Japan 1973, with the Berlin philharmonic orchestra. It’s mostly a standard run through of the symphony’s more tricky passages, where a strong sense of balance between the instruments is key.”
- Aretha Franklin: Full Concert (1971)
- Toru Takemitsu: From Me Flows What You Call Time
- Carl Nielsen’s Quintet op. 43 Performed by Carion
- Modest Musorgsky’s Pictures at an Exhibition for Woodwind Quintet
- Anton Reicha: Woodwind Quintet in Eb major op.88 no.2
- Balakirev: Islamey, Performed by Giuseppe Mentuccia
- Jean Rondeau Plays Soler’s Fandango
- Chloe Moriondo’s “La vie en rose”
- Martha Argerich Plays Liszt’s Piano Concerto No 1 in E flat major
- Beethoven on Piano for Romsai the Elephant
- Yuja Wang Plays Liszt’s Sonata B minor
- Evgeny Kissin Plays Schumann’s Toccata Opus 7
- Beethoven : Piano concerto No.3 Performed by Alice Sara Ott at the Piano
- Kurt Atterberg: Suite No. 3, Op. 19 for violin, viola and string orchestra, Pantomime
- Kurt Atterberg: Sinfonia for Strings
- David Letterman First Ever Appearance On The Tonight show With Johnny Carson: 1978
- Andres Alen: Variations on a Theme By Milanes
- Stephen Heller, Etude Op 46, 11
- Constitutionally Speaking with Justice David Souter and Margaret Warner
- Agustin Barrios Mangore: David Russell Performs the 4th Waltz Op. 8
- A Few Bach Inventions