Today:: Partly cloudy. Slight chance of showers and isolated thunderstorms in the morning, then chance of thunderstorms and slight chance of showers in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 90s. East winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30 percent. Heat index readings 98 to 102. Tonight: Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 70s. East winds 5 to 10 mph. Details here.
Today’s document from the National Archives and the Astronomy Picture of the Day.
Today’s tides: at the beaches, at the Intracoastal Waterway.
Drought Index: 23
The OED’s Word of the Day: Eve, n..
The Live Community Calendar
Today’s jail bookings.
Today’s Briefing: Quick Links
- First Light
- In Flagler and Palm Coast
- Flagler Jail Bookings and Last 24 Hours of Incident Reports
- In State Government
- Cats and Dogs Looking For Homes
- In Coming Days in Flagler, Palm Coast and Beyond
- Fact-Checking the Knaves
- Palm Coast Construction and Development
- Local Road and Interstate Construction
- Cultural Coda
Note: all government meetings noticed below are free and open to the public unless otherwise indicated. Many can be heard or seen live through each agency’s website.
The Sheriff’s daily incident reports and jail bookings are posted here.
In Court: Circuit Judge Terence Perkins hears pre-trials and possible pleas in a dozen cases, mostly drug-related. Phillip Haire Jr., the Palm Coast resident accused of shooting at a cop and at his parents last year in the L Section, was scheduled for a possible plea disposition, but both the state and the defense are asking for a continuance until August, as plea negotiations are ongoing. It is an indication that the case may be settled before it reaches trial. Perkins will also be holding docket sounding for more than two dozen cases. Docket sounding is the last step before trial, and when trial dates are scheduled. 1:30 p.m. in Courtrooom 401 at the Flagler County Courthouse.
The Flagler County Commission holds a workshop immediately following its regular 9 a.m. meeting, at the Emergency Operations Center, 1769 E. Moody Blvd, Bldg. 3 (behind the Government Services Building), Bunnell, to discuss an ordinance regarding parking on county property. The ordinance would more strictly address overnight parking at county facilities by vehicle owners who are not conducting business with the county and seemingly have no reason to be there–other than for advertising purposes: the ordinance would address those election campaign vehicles, which have often included those of county officials.
The Flagler County Commission is scheduled for another budget workshop at 1 p.m. at the Emergency Operations Center, 1769 E. Moody Blvd, Bldg. 3 (behind the Government Services Building), Bunnell, at which commissioners may reveal what cuts they’re prepared to propose in the proposed budget the county administrator has submitted. Commissioners said they were not happy with a proposed tax increase to pay for a range of new needs. See the background story here: “Balking at Proposed Tax Increase, County Commissioners Offer Alternatives Outside of Public Meeting.”
The Bunnell City Commission holds a special meeting to discuss contract negotiations with Martin Murphy, the candidate the commission selected as its top choice to be manager. But Murphy is requesting a $90,000 salary. The position was advertised for $75,000. 6 p.m. at City Hall, 201 West Moody Boulevard, Bunnell.
The Flagler County Veterans Advisory Council meets at 4 p.m. in the First Floor Conference room of the Government Services Building, 1769 E. Moody Blvd., Bunnell.
- Monday: Round of 16: Brazil v. Mexico, 10 a.m., Fox | Belgium v. Japan, 2 p.m., Fox
- Tuesday: Round of 16: Sweden v. Switzerland, 10 a.m., FS1 | Colombia v. England, 2 p.m., Fox
See the full schedule here.
Blood Donations: The Big Red Bus will be at the following locations this week:
- Monday: Bealls, 9 Old Kings Road, Palm Coast, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Tuesday: Walmart, 174 Cypress Point Parkway, Palm Coast, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Wednesday: Walmart, 174 Cypress Point Parkway, Palm Coast, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Wednesday: Flagler Beach July 4, 105 South 2nd Street, Flagler Beach, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Thursday: Aldi, 5095 State Road 100, Palm Coast, 1 to 6 p.m.
- Friday: Flagler Beach’s First Fridays, 105 South 2nd Street, 5:30 to 9 p.m.
- Saturday: Walmart, 174 Cypress Point Parkway, Palm Coast, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Sunday: Palm Coast Farmers’ Market at European Village, 101 Palm Harbor Parkway, 1 to 4 p.m.
Jail Bookings and Last 24 Hours' Incidents in Flagler, Palm Coast, Flagler Beach, Bunnell
|Jail Bookings, June 19-22
Sheriff's night shift incident reports, June 21
Sheriff's day shift incident reports, June 21
Flagler Beach's night shift incident reports, June 21
Flagler Beach's day shift incident reports, June 21
Bunnell police's night shift incident reports, June 21
Bunnell police's day shift incident reports, June 21
Take the Palm Coast Tech Assessment: Palm Coast is one of only a handful of cities in the entire state of Florida operating its own municipal broadband utility – with over 50 miles of fiber for high-speed internet. The City is currently looking at innovative ways to expand our fiber-optic network. As part of this effort, the City is asking local business owners and those that work from home to take the Palm Coast Tech Assessment. In just 15 minutes, the assessment will generate a customized report with technology opportunities available to you. Help Palm Coast pave the way for innovation by taking the survey here.
Community Education Summer B Classes: July 9 – August 18, 2018, Registration: June 25 – July 7, 2018: The class schedule for the 2018 SUMMER B term is now accessible here. Register NOW for the semester starting June 25. You may either register online at the link above or call (386) 446-6717. Join us to ensure the continuance of Community Education in Flagler County, and particularly the A1A center. Many classes need about eight students to be viable. Please see if there is a course that interests you. Both the A1A center and the Belle Terre center class locations are shown on the website.
TEACHERS UNION CHALLENGES NEW LAW: The Florida Education Association is slated to hold a media conference call about a lawsuit challenging a controversial new education law (HB 7055), which could lead to the decertification of local teachers’ unions. The law, a priority of House Speaker Richard Corcoran, R-Land O’ Lakes, also includes expansion of voucher-like programs to send children to private schools. (Monday, 9:30 a.m. Media call-in numbers: 1-646-876-9923 or 1-669-900-6833. Code: 489855914)
DESANTIS CAMPAIGNS WITH HANNITY, GAETZ: Republican gubernatorial candidate Ron DeSantis will make campaign stops in Lee, Hillsborough and Escambia counties with Fox News host Sean Hannity and U.S. Rep. Matt Gaetz, R-Fla. (Monday, 10 a.m., Sanibel Harbour Marriott, 17260 Harbour Point Dr., Fort Myers. Also, 2 p.m., Marriott Waterside Tampa, 700 South Florida Ave., Tampa. Also, 5:30 p.m. Central time, New World Landing event space, 600 South Palafox St., Pensacola.)
—-Compiled by the News Service of Florida and FlaglerLive
To include your event in this section, please fill out this form.
|The following is provided as a service to Community Cats of Palm Coast and the Flagler Humane Society. Should you have a lost pet and would like it noticed here, please contact us at [email protected].|
Keep Up with Donald Trump’s attacks on the press through the ACLU’s running tab here.
Keep Up with mass shootings in a running database here.
Here’s a summary of the latest city developments as of June 29, 2018, with a link to the full week in review here.
Stephen Heller, Etude Op 46, 11
- Constitutionally Speaking with Justice David Souter and Margaret Warner
- Agustin Barrios Mangore: David Russell Performs the 4th Waltz Op. 8
- A Few Bach Inventions
- Boris Berezovsky Plays the Chopin/Godowsky Etude in G flat major
- Stewart Goodyear: Beethoven’s Hammerklavier 4th movement
- Claude Bolling and Hubert Laws on the Johnny Carson Show
- Schumann’s Toccata, Op. 7, Performed by Evgeny Kissin
- Bach Cantata BWV 170, Clare Wilkinson, mezzosoprano
- Toru Takemitsu: Air for Solo Flute
- Martha Argerich Plays Piazzolla’s Oblivion
- Bach-Liszt: Organ Prelude and Fugue in A minor
- Leonard Bernstein: Young People’s Concerts Vol. 2 (Includes André Watts)
- Emerson Quartet, Contrapunctus 9 from Bach’s Art of Fugue
- Virginia Grand Military Band, Memorial Day Concert 2017
- Bach’s English Suite in G Minor BWV 808, Zoltan Fejervari, Miami Beach
- The Dangers of Sitting
- Glenn Gould’s U.S. Television Debut: Bernstein Conducting Bach’s Keyboard Concerto No. 1 in D minor
- Jean Baptiste Singelée: Septième Solo de Concert, Op. 93