Today:: Mostly cloudy with chance of showers and slight chance of thunderstorms. Highs in the lower 80s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent. Tonight: Partly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows around 70. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Details here.
Today’s document from the National Archives and the Astronomy Picture of the Day.
Today’s tides: at the beaches, at the Intracoastal Waterway.
Drought Index: 1
The OED’s Word of the Day: Popeiana, n..
The Live Community Calendar
Today’s jail bookings.
Today’s Briefing: Quick Links
- First Light
- In Flagler and Palm Coast
- Flagler Jail Bookings and Last 24 Hours of Incident Reports
- In State Government
- Cats and Dogs Looking For Homes
- In Coming Days in Flagler, Palm Coast and Beyond
- Fact-Checking the Knaves
- Palm Coast Construction and Development
- Local Road and Interstate Construction
- Cultural Coda
Note: all government meetings noticed below are free and open to the public unless otherwise indicated. Many can be heard or seen live through each agency’s website.
The Sheriff’s daily incident reports and jail bookings are posted here.
The Flagler County School Board holds a workshop at 9 a.m. in Conference Room 3 on the third floor of the Government Services Building in Bunnell, to discuss board procedures.
A ribbon-cutting is scheduled for 4 p.m. for Teens in Flight at its new facility at 275 Old Moody Boulevard, near the fire station on the grounds of the Flagler County Airport. Teens in Flight started operations in 2006.
An “Opioid Task Force” holds its initial meeting at the Hilton Garden Inn at 2 p.m. The task force includes Joe Mullins, a candidate for the county commission who appears to be using the event in conjunction with his campaign, Pastor Charles Silano of Grace Tabernacle Ministries International, Michael Feldbauer, president of the Flagler County Drug Court Foundation, and other county business leaders and officials. Sheriff Rick Staly is listed among the participants but he will, in fact, not be in attendance. “While Sheriff Staly supports any community efforts to reduce opioid addiction and the opioid epidemic affecting Flagler County, he will not be participating in anything that would imply endorsement of any local, state or federal candidates,” his office said in a statement. Mullins scheduled another event that was eventually cancelled as some participants did not want to be associated with his campaigning. See: “Adding To Troubled Run, Flagler Commission Candidate Joe Mullins Blurs Business And Electioneering.”
Blood Donations: The Big Red Bus will be at the following locations this week:
- Thursday: Banfield Pet Hospital, 5270 East Highway 100, Palm Coast, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Thursday: CVS Pharmacy, 1 Old Kings Road, Palm Coast, 3 to 6 p.m.
- Sunday: Walmart, 174 Cypress Point Parkway, Palm Coast, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Jail Bookings and Last 24 Hours' Incidents in Flagler, Palm Coast, Flagler Beach, Bunnell
|Jail Bookings, June 19-22
Sheriff's night shift incident reports, June 21
Sheriff's day shift incident reports, June 21
Flagler Beach's night shift incident reports, June 21
Flagler Beach's day shift incident reports, June 21
Bunnell police's night shift incident reports, June 21
Bunnell police's day shift incident reports, June 21
WOMEN’S HEALTH ANALYSIS RELEASED: The Institute for Women’s Policy Research, the Florida Women’s Funding Alliance and the Florida Philanthropic Network will hold a media conference call to release a report about the health status of women in the state. (Tuesday, 10 a.m. Reporters may contact Alexa Mauzy-Lewis at [email protected] or 212-255-2575 for call-in information.)
BLACK BEAR TRAIL: An overview of the State Road 40 Black Bear Trail Corridor, between Levy Hammock Road and U.S. 17, will be presented by the Florida Department of Transportation’s District 5 Project Visioning Team. (Tuesday, 2 p.m., Astor Community Association, 24148 Ann St., Astor.)
A1A IMPROVEMENTS DISCUSSED: Plans to improve the intersection of State Road A1A at State Road 520 in Brevard County, will be on display by the Florida Department of Transportation. (Tuesday, 5 p.m., Cocoa Beach Country Club, 5000 Tom Warriner Blvd., Cocoa Beach.)
SELLING FLORIDA HEALTH CARE IN BRAZIL: Enterprise Florida has secured space for a Florida section within the USA Pavilion for Hospitalar 2018, a health fair that is one of the largest in South America. (Tuesday through Friday, Sao Paulo, Brazil.)
—-Compiled by the News Service of Florida and FlaglerLive
To include your event in this section, please fill out this form.
|The following is provided as a service to Community Cats of Palm Coast and the Flagler Humane Society. Should you have a lost pet and would like it noticed here, please contact us at [email protected].|
Keep Up with Donald Trump’s attacks on the press through the ACLU’s running tab here.
Keep Up with mass shootings in a running database here.
Here’s a summary of the latest city developments as of May 17, 2018, with a link to the full week in review here.
The Dangers of Sitting
- Glenn Gould’s U.S. Television Debut: Bernstein Conducting Bach’s Keyboard Concerto No. 1 in D minor
- Jean Baptiste Singelée: Septième Solo de Concert, Op. 93
- Telemann’s Fantasia No. 1 in A Major for solo flute, Performed by Kristen Stoner
- Frédéric Chopin: Piano Concerto No. 1 in E Minor, Olga Scheps, piano
- Bechara el-Khoury: Forgotten Fragments
- The Violins of Hope: Amnon’s journey
- Chanticleer Sings Shenandoah
- Bottesini Gran Duo for double bass and violin
- Schubert’s “Der Lindenbaum,” “Im Frühling”: Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau and Gerald Moore
- Schumann: Sonata for Violin and Piano no 1 in A minor, Op. 105 (Yoojin Jang)
- Emmanuel Chabrier’s España Rhapsody For Orchestra
- Yuja Wang plays Schubert-Liszt (D 774)
- Nina Simone: Take Me To The Water
- Frank Peter Zimmermann: Bach and Me
- Jorge Bolet: Master Class On Rachmaninoff’s Piano Conceto No. 3
- Friedrich Gulda: So What, A Portrait (2002, with English subtitles)
- Dvořák’s Serenade for Strings: Netherlands Chamber Orchestra