Today: Mostly cloudy. Chance of showers and slight chance of thunderstorms in the morning, then showers and thunderstorms likely in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 80s. South winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent. Tonight: Mostly cloudy with chance of showers and slight chance of thunderstorms in the evening, then partly cloudy after midnight. Lows in the lower 70s. Southwest winds 5 mph. Chance of rain 30 percent. Details here.
Today’s document from the National Archives and the Astronomy Picture of the Day.
Today’s tides: at the beaches, at the Intracoastal Waterway.
Drought Index: 1
The OED’s Word of the Day: adventus Saxonum, n..
The Live Community Calendar
Today’s jail bookings.
Today’s Briefing: Quick Links
- First Light
- In Flagler and Palm Coast
- Flagler Jail Bookings and Last 24 Hours of Incident Reports
- In State Government
- Cats and Dogs Looking For Homes
- In Coming Days in Flagler, Palm Coast and Beyond
- Fact-Checking the Knaves
- Palm Coast Construction and Development
- Local Road and Interstate Construction
- Cultural Coda
Note: all government meetings noticed below are free and open to the public unless otherwise indicated. Many can be heard or seen live through each agency’s website.
The Sheriff’s daily incident reports and jail bookings are posted here.
Common Ground Breakfast hosted by the Flagler Chamber of Commerce focuses on education in Flagler, with panelists Jim Tager, the school superintendent, Tom LoBasso, President of Daytona State College, and Renee Stauffacher, Director of Flagler Technical Institute, starting with registration at 7:30 and breakfast at 8 a.m., at the Hilton Garden Inn, 55 Town Center Blvd. Palm Coast. Members can preregister for $25, Guests & future members can attend for $35. The chamber is no longer accepting walkups. To pre-register, send an email to Heather Edwards at the chamber, at [email protected]
The Marineland Arch reopens over State Road A1A. A ceremony is set for 11:30 a.m. to mark the occasion near Marineland Dolphin Adventure 9600 Oceanshore Blvd.
Flagler County Commissioner Nate McLaughlin and School Board member Andy Dance, both of whom are running for re-election, hold a town hall meeting at Hidden Trails Community Center, 6108 Mahogany Blvd. in Daytona North, also known as the Mondex, at 6 p.m.
Blood Donations: The Big Red Bus will be at the following locations this week:
- Wednesday: Palm Coast Data, 2 Commerce Boulevard, Palm Coast, Building 3 from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m., Building 1 at 11 Commerce Boulevard from noon to 3 p.m.
- Thursday: Fantastic Sam’s, 5200 East Highway 100 (Target shopping center), 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Thursday: Toscana Models and Sales Center, 15 New Water Oak Drive, Palm Coast, from noon to 5 p.m.
- Thursday: Post Office, 2 Pine Cone Drive, Palm Coast, 2 to 5 p.m.
- Saturday: Walmart, 174 Cypress Point Parkway, Palm Coast, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Jail Bookings and Last 24 Hours' Incidents in Flagler, Palm Coast, Flagler Beach, Bunnell
|Jail Bookings, June 19-22
Sheriff's night shift incident reports, June 21
Sheriff's day shift incident reports, June 21
Flagler Beach's night shift incident reports, June 21
Flagler Beach's day shift incident reports, June 21
Bunnell police's night shift incident reports, June 21
Bunnell police's day shift incident reports, June 21
The African American Mentoring Program, founded by former School Board member Jim Guines and John Winston more than a decade ago, held its year-end celebration on May 24 at First Baptist Church of Palm Coast, honoring graduating seniors and the group’s scholarship winners. A total of 164 students enrolled in AAMP’s Boys Program this year. Christopher Johnson, Associate Professor of Economics and the University of North Florida’s Coggin College of Business was the guest speaker. He spoke of the importance of life-long learning and never giving up. The district’s Jason Wheeler provided the images below.
DELANEY STEPS DOWN AT UNF: Longtime University of North Florida President John Delaney will retire from the post effective Thursday. Delaney, who has led UNF for 15 years, will be replaced by David M. Szymanski, who has served as dean of the Lindner College of Business at the University of Cincinnati. Delaney, a lawyer, is a former Jacksonville mayor who will join an alliance of The Fiorentino Group government-affairs firm and the Rogers Towers law firm, which work together on government and legal issues.
PRISON VISITS AT ISSUE: The Florida Department of Corrections will hold a public hearing on a proposed rule related to the visiting schedule at prisons. (Thursday, 8:30 a.m., Betty Easley Conference Center, 4075 Esplanade Way, Tallahassee.)
SUPREME COURT RELEASES OPINIONS: The Florida Supreme Court is scheduled to release its weekly opinions. (Thursday, 11 a.m.)
—-Compiled by the News Service of Florida and FlaglerLive
To include your event in this section, please fill out this form.
|The following is provided as a service to Community Cats of Palm Coast and the Flagler Humane Society. Should you have a lost pet and would like it noticed here, please contact us at [email protected].|
Keep Up with Donald Trump’s attacks on the press through the ACLU’s running tab here.
Keep Up with mass shootings in a running database here.
Here’s a summary of the latest city developments as of May 26, 2018, with a link to the full week in review here.
Emerson Quartet, Contrapunctus 9 from Bach’s Art of Fugue
- Virginia Grand Military Band, Memorial Day Concert 2017
- Bach’s English Suite in G Minor BWV 808, Zoltan Fejervari, Miami Beach
- The Dangers of Sitting
- Glenn Gould’s U.S. Television Debut: Bernstein Conducting Bach’s Keyboard Concerto No. 1 in D minor
- Jean Baptiste Singelée: Septième Solo de Concert, Op. 93
- Telemann’s Fantasia No. 1 in A Major for solo flute, Performed by Kristen Stoner
- Frédéric Chopin: Piano Concerto No. 1 in E Minor, Olga Scheps, piano
- Bechara el-Khoury: Forgotten Fragments
- The Violins of Hope: Amnon’s journey
- Chanticleer Sings Shenandoah
- Bottesini Gran Duo for double bass and violin
- Schubert’s “Der Lindenbaum,” “Im Frühling”: Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau and Gerald Moore
- Schumann: Sonata for Violin and Piano no 1 in A minor, Op. 105 (Yoojin Jang)
- Emmanuel Chabrier’s España Rhapsody For Orchestra
- Yuja Wang plays Schubert-Liszt (D 774)
- Nina Simone: Take Me To The Water
- Frank Peter Zimmermann: Bach and Me
- Jorge Bolet: Master Class On Rachmaninoff’s Piano Conceto No. 3
- Friedrich Gulda: So What, A Portrait (2002, with English subtitles)
- Dvořák’s Serenade for Strings: Netherlands Chamber Orchestra