Today: Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the upper 80s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Tonight: Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening. Lows in the mid 70s. Southwest winds 5 mph in the evening becoming light. Details here.
Today’s document from the National Archives and the Astronomy Picture of the Day.
Today’s tides: at the beaches, at the Intracoastal Waterway.
Drought Index is at 115.
The OED’s Word of the Day: meister, n..
The Live Community Calendar
Today’s jail bookings.
Today’s Briefing: Quick Links
- First Light
- In Flagler and Palm Coast
- Flagler Jail Bookings and Sheriff’s Crime Reports
- In State Government
- In Coming Days in Flagler, Palm Coast and Beyond
- The Day’s Best Reads
- Fact-Checking the Knaves
- Palm Coast Construction and Development
- Local Road and Interstate Construction
- Cultural Coda
“He was a migrant. He was one of those who had ended up in a place that was not the place where he began. Migration tore up all the traditional roots of the self. The rooted self flourished in a place it knew well, among people who knew it well, following customs and traditions with which it and its community were familiar, and speaking its own language among others who did the same. Of these four roots, place, community, culture and language, he had lost three.” “
–Salman Rushdie, from “Joseph Anton: A Memoir” (2012).
Note: all government meetings noticed below are free and open to the public unless otherwise indicated. Many can be heard or seen live through each agency’s website.
The Sheriff’s daily incident reports and jail bookings are posted here.
Help People Affected by Hurricane Harvey. Donate at the Red Cross, Here.
In Court: A status hearing is scheduled in the ongoing case of convicted murderer David Snelgrove. The Supreme Court has ordered a new sentencing hearing for Snelgrove, who was on death row. He was sentenced to death for the murders of Glyn Fowler, 84, and his wife, Vivian, 79, on Bannbury Lane in Palm Coast in late June 2000. The hearing is at 1:30 p.m. before Circuit Judge Dennis Craig in Courtroom 401 at the county courthouse.
The Palm Coast City Council meets at 9 a.m. at City Hall in Town Center. Council members will discuss a Hurricane Matthew after-action report, they’ll discuss an agreement to install solar power canopy devices at City Hall, Holland Park and the Community Center, the coming year’s budget, and an agreement with the firefighters’ union. They’ll also again discuss an agreement with the county on 161 acres at the Flagler County airport.
Scams, Skims & Cons: An informative event presented by the Flagler County Sheriff’s Mike Lutz on the recent gas station skim attacks, credit card thefts, and other ongoing scams, in the Flagler County Public Library meeting room at 10 a.m. (At the public library on Palm Coast Parkway).
Seniors with diabetes invited to participate in free class at Wickline: Seniors with diabetes are invited to participate in a free six-week class to be held at the George Wickline Senior Center in Flagler Beach. The class runs from 2 to 4:30 p.m. on Tuesdays, September 12 through October 17. ElderSource and the Northeast Florida Area Health Education Center are sponsoring the series of workshops. The program is free, but pre-registration is required. It is open to those who are 60 years or older, and who have diabetes. Those interested should call the Northeast Florida Area Health Education Center at 877-784-8486. Class dates are September 12, 19 and 26, and October 3, 10 and 17. The George Wickline Senior Center is at 800 S. Daytona Avenue, Flagler Beach. For more information about the Flagler County Senior Services Department go to www.flaglercounty.org/senior_services.
In Florida and in State Government:
Note: Some proceedings below can be followed live on the Florida Channel. Most legislative proceedings can be followed through the Senate or House websites.
Orange County election certified: The state Elections Canvassing Commission will meet to certify the results of an Aug. 15 special primary election in Orange County’s House District 44. Winter Garden Republican Robert Olszewski won the GOP primary in a special election to replace former Rep. Eric Eisnaugle, who was appointed this spring as a judge on the 5th District Court of Appeal. (9 a.m., Cabinet meeting room, the Capitol.)
Funeral services will be held for former Sen. Greg Evers, who died in a traffic accident near his home in Okaloosa County. (1 p.m. Central time, First Baptist Church of Milton, 6797 Caroline St., Milton.)
In Coming Days in Palm Coast, Flagler and the Occasional Beyond:
To include your event in this section, please fill out this form.
“There is no institutional mechanism that can stop a president from giving an order to use nuclear weapons." https://t.co/zNEiG3AHal
— FiveThirtyEight (@FiveThirtyEight) August 28, 2017
Companies must reveal pay disparity between boss and workers https://t.co/kKUGewENWG
— Guardian news (@guardiannews) August 28, 2017
Has Gandhi’s Example Contributed to Donald Trump’s Victory? |@HoansSolo|@Diplomat_APAC|https://t.co/f0HjdJvCxI pic.twitter.com/CEWiZCSObb
— The Diplomat (@Diplomat_APAC) August 28, 2017
16 American diplomats in Cuba complained of hearing loss, nausea, loss of balance, and headaches. What happened? https://t.co/7ewHXJK6GR
— Vox (@voxdotcom) August 28, 2017
Baby boomers born from 1957 to 1964 held an average of 11.9 jobs from ages 18 to 50 https://t.co/hXzoAYcyEm #BLSdata pic.twitter.com/9M2i7JFWIx
— BLS-Labor Statistics (@BLS_gov) August 28, 2017
How war, death, and anxiety affect soldiers and the ability to do their jobs https://t.co/pu0ttGcIzd
— Psychology Today (@PsychToday) August 28, 2017
Palm Coast Construction and Development Progress Reports
Updates of ongoing permitting, construction and development projects in Palm Coast usually run here, along with a link to the city’s Week in Review. But the Week in Review, under the guise of being modernized, has become flashier and power-point like while becoming less substantive and dumbed down. We may or may not link to it in future.
Road and Interstate Construction:
Mozart’s Requiem: Camerata Salzburg, Arsys Bourgogne, Cond.
- Repairing Willie Nelson’s guitar
- 100 Year Old Self-Playing Violin
- Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach Symphony B minor, Christophe Coin Ensemble Baroque, Limoges
- Wynton Marsalis Septet: Sunflowers (From The Marciac Suite Album)
- Nikolai Kedrov: Otche Nash (Our Father)
- Ludovico Einaudi, “Elegy for the Arctic”
- Black Violin at Apollo Amateur Night
- Bach’s Beer Bottles: The Art of Fugue, Contrapunctus 1
- Mozart’s Only String Trio, K563
- Sibelius’s Violin Concerto, Ida Haendel, Violin
- Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue: Marcus Roberts Trio, Seiji Ozawa, Cond. (2003)
- Wynton Marsalis takes the Horn Challenge
- Beethoven String Quartet No. 14 in C-sharp minor, Op. 131, Afiara Quartet
- K.D. Lang: The Mind of Love
- World’s Oldest Violin: Marco Rizzi Performs Schumann’s Sonata No. 2 on a 1566 Amati Violin
- Mark Knopfler on Guitars
- Bach’s Little Fugue in G minor, Performed by the Canadian Brass
- The Adventures of Henry Thoreau: A Young Man’s Unlikely Path to Walden Pond
- Macklemore Feat Skylar Grey: Glorious
- Edward Luce On the Retreat of Western Liberalism in the Trump Era
- Why Don’t All Instruments Sound The Same?
- Joachim Horsley’s “Beethoven in Havana”: What the Piano Can Do
- Bojan Cicic and Richard Egarr: Giovanni Carbonelli’s Violin Sonata No. 1
- Voyager: The 116 images NASA wants aliens to see
- Bohemian Rhapsody: Brooklyn Duo and Ft. Dover Quartet
- Down in the River to Pray: University of Texas Tuba/Euphonium Studio
- Brahms : Piano Quartet No. 1 in G minor, op. 25
- The Reluctant Fundamentalist: Mohsin Hamid in Conversation with Akhil Sharma
- “The Day After” (1983)
- Rui Arayama Performs Domenico Scarlatti’s Sonatas K.427 & K.455
- Villa-Lobos: Bachianas Brasileiras
- Angelina Jordan, 10 Years Old Norwegian, Sings the Blues: I Put A Spell On You
- Joseph Bodin de Boismortier (1689-1755), Concerto in B Minor for five Recorders Op. 15 Nr. 4, Abateva
- Introduction to Bullshit
- Chopin: 24 Etudes for Piano Op.10 , Op 25, Lukas Genjušas, Piano
- Alike: The Best Short Film Ever
- Fauré’s Requiem, Performed by the Ensemble Orchestral de Paris, Choeur Accentus
- Arthur Rubinstein Performs Saint-Saëns’s Piano Concerto No 2 in G minor, Op 22
- Mendelssohn’s Symphony No. 5, Reformation: Jérémie Rhorer Conducts the Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra
Republican (Ron DeSantis) floats measure to kill Mueller probe after 6 months
Ron “Littlefinger” DeSantis shows us again why he should be one of crooked Trump’s co-defendants.
Joe Scarborough on Morning Joe just commented on air that a couple of fruitcakes in Congress are trying to kill the Mueller probe. Scarborough owes fruitcakes an apology.