Today: Mostly cloudy. Slight chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning, then chance of showers and slight chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 70s. West winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent. Tonight: Cooler. Mostly cloudy. Chance of showers in the evening, then slight chance of showers after midnight. Lows in the upper 40s. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40 percent. Details here.
Today’s document from the National Archives and the Astronomy Picture of the Day.
Today’s tides: at the beaches, at the Intracoastal Waterway.
Drought Index: 252
The OED’s Word of the day: accouchement, n.
The Live Community Calendar
Today’s jail bookings.
Today’s Briefing: Quick Links
- First Light
- In Flagler and Palm Coast
- Flagler Jail Bookings and Last 24 Hours of Incident Reports
- In State Government
- In Coming Days in Flagler, Palm Coast and Beyond
- Fact-Checking the Knaves
- Palm Coast Construction and Development
- Local Road and Interstate Construction
- Cultural Coda
Note: all government meetings noticed below are free and open to the public unless otherwise indicated. Many can be heard or seen live through each agency’s website.
The Sheriff’s daily incident reports and jail bookings are posted here.
The Bunnell City Commission meets in workshop at 6 p.m. to discuss an impact fee study, and at 7 p.m., when commissioners are expected to approve on final reading amendments to the city charter that would be placed before voters at the March municipal election. 201 West Moody Boulevard, Bunnell.
The Buddy Taylor Middle School Advisory Council meets at 5 p.m. at the school’s media center.
Last Call: The Rotary Club of Flagler Beach invites the community to participate in the Holiday at the Beach Parade to be held Saturday, December 1st at 1:00 PM. There is no cost to participate and those interested are asked to complete a parade application by visiting http://www.flaglerbeachrotary.org/. The entry deadline is today, November 26th, 2018. The parade line up is between 11:00AM and 1:00PM, with the parade beginning promptly at 1 p.m. Participants will receive an entry number and map to their line up location on November 29th via email. The parade route is east on N. 6th Street, south on A1A, then west on S. 6th Street. For safety reasons, the City of Flagler Beach bans the throwing of anything from moving vehicles. Candy can be handed out by accompanying walkers. Trophies will be awarded to: Best of Parade, Judges Choice, Best Marching Unit, Performances, Best Holiday Theme. There is one trophy for Best of Parade and 1st, 2nd, and 3rd categories for all other awards. Parade participants are asked to go to Veterans Park immediately following the parade for the awards ceremony. Further details are attached and available via this link.
Follow the Mars Landing in the 2 p.m. Hour from NASA:
Blood Donations: The Big Red Bus will be at the following locations this week (schedule your donation by going to the website and entering a Palm Coast zip code, then locating one of the venues below):
- Monday: Tom Gibbs Chevrolet 5850 State Road 100, 8:30 a.m. to noon.
- Monday: Government Services Building, Bunnell, 1 to 4 p.m.
- Friday: Walmart, 174 Cypress Point Parkway, Palm Coast, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Saturday: Walmart, 174 Cypress Point Parkway, Palm Coast, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Jail Bookings and Last 24 Hours' Incidents in Flagler, Palm Coast, Flagler Beach, Bunnell
|Jail Bookings, June 19-22
Sheriff's night shift incident reports, June 21
Sheriff's day shift incident reports, June 21
Flagler Beach's night shift incident reports, June 21
Flagler Beach's day shift incident reports, June 21
Bunnell police's night shift incident reports, June 21
Bunnell police's day shift incident reports, June 21
Florida Hospitals Name Cancer Administrator: Michelle Rosato has been selected to serve as the regional administrator of oncology services for the Florida Hospitals located within Lake, Flagler and Volusia counties. This includes Florida Hospital DeLand in DeLand, Florida Hospital Fish Memorial in Orange City, Florida Hospital Flagler in Palm Coast, Florida Hospital Memorial Medical Center in Daytona Beach, Florida Hospital New Smyrna in New Smyrna Beach, and Florida Hospital Waterman in Tavares. In this role, Rosato is responsible for developing a patient-centered cancer program using the interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary framework. Rosato has nearly 20 years of experience and most recently served as the director of radiation oncology operations for Florida Hospital Memorial Medical Center in Daytona Beach and Florida Hospital Flagler in Palm Coast. During this time, she led the multidisciplinary teams in the delivery of safe, high quality cancer care. A Daytona Beach resident, Rosato earned a bachelor’s degree in business management & economics from Empire State College in Buffalo, New York, and is a licensed radiation therapist.
The City of Flagler Beach needs volunteers to serve on the following government advisory boards:
Investment Committee 1 Vacancy for an Attorney
This Committee meets quarterly, is required by Statutes, and provides recommendations to the City Commission regrading the investment policies and strategies.
Personnel Advisory Review Board 1 Vacancy
This Committee rarely meets but is required by our Code of Ordinance in the event an employee has a grievance and wishes to appeal disciplinary action.
Economic Development Task Force 1 Vacancy
This Committee meets monthly and provides recommendations to the Commission related to goals and assignments established by the City Commission.
If you’re interested, contact City Clerk Penny Overstreet, (386)-517-2000 EXT 233.
The Rotary Club of Flagler County is looking for bands and musical groups to perform seasonal music at the Fantasy Lights in Central Park, Palm Coast. The free event featuring lighted displays around the lake, Santa’s Village, Train rides for the kids also has a nightly live performance of seasonal music at 7 p.m. each night for the month of December. The music is carried throughout the park and Rotary provides some sound equipment and lights. If your band is interested in performing please contact Carl Laundrie at [email protected] or call 386-283-8386.
FORMER CHIEF JUSTICE SPEAKS IN PALM BEACH: Former Florida Supreme Court Chief Justice Rosemary Barkett will speak to the Forum Club of the Palm Beaches. Barkett was the first woman to serve as chief justice of the Florida Supreme Court, holding the position from 1992 to 1994. She later was a judge on the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals and currently serves on the Iran-United States Claims Tribunal in The Hague, Netherlands. (Monday, noon, Kravis Center for the Performing Arts, Cohen Pavilion, 701 Okeechobee Blvd., West Palm Beach.)
—-Compiled by the News Service of Florida and FlaglerLive
To include your event in this section, please fill out this form.
Keep Up with Donald Trump’s attacks on the press through the ACLU’s running tab here.
Keep Up with mass shootings in a running database here.
Here’s a summary of the latest city developments as of Nov. 11, 2018, with a link to the full week in review here.
Rossini: Sonata Nr. 1 in G Major
- Copland’s 3rd Symphony
- Zdenek Fibich: Poem Op. 41, No.4 from “At Twilight”
- Kuhlau: Sonatine No.1 in C Major, Op. 20
- Beethoven 33 Variations on a Waltz by Anton Diabelli Op 120, Gavin Arturo Gamboa, piano
- Philip Glass: American Four Seasons with violinist Robert McDuffie
- Elgar’s “Nimrod”: Daniel Barenboim with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, 1997
- Valentina Lisitsa plays Liszt’s Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2
- Ravel : Piano Concerto in G major (Martha Argerich : Orchestre national de France)
- Schubert: Piano Sonata No.20 D.959 / Paul Badura-Skoda (1993)
- Antonio Vivaldi’s “Vedro con mio diletto” from Il Giustino by Jakub Józef Orliński
- Bill Evans Trio: Some Day My Prince Will Come (1965)
- Beethoven: Piano Concerto Nr. 5, “Emperor,” Op. 73, Daniele and Maurizio Pollini, Sinfónica de Galicia
- Beethoven: Symphony No. 7, Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Iván Fischer, cond.
- Beethoven Concerto for Violin and Orchestra, Hilary Hahn, violin
- Händel: Keyboard Suite HWV 428, Daria van den Bercken, piano
- Aznavour: Full Concert from the Palais des Congrès de Paris, 1996
- Hilary Hahn Plays Brahms’s Violin Concerto, Cond. Paavo Jarvi
- Hilary Hahn Plays the Presto from Bach’s Violin Sonata Nr. 1
- LP: Lost On You
- Final Fantasy X: To Zanarkand