Today: Mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers. Highs in the lower 70s. East winds 10 to 15 mph. Tonight: Mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers. Lows around 60. East winds 10 to 15 mph. Details here.
Today’s document from the National Archives and the Astronomy Picture of the Day.
Today’s tides: at the beaches, at the Intracoastal Waterway.
The OED’s Word of the Day: nevermas, n..
The Live Community Calendar
Today’s jail bookings.
Today’s Briefing: Quick Links
- First Light
- In Flagler and Palm Coast
- Flagler Jail Bookings and Sheriff’s Crime Reports
- In State Government
- In Coming Days in Flagler, Palm Coast and Beyond
- The Day’s Best Reads
- Editor’s Tweets
- Fact-Checking the Knaves
- Palm Coast Construction and Development
- Local Road and Interstate Construction
- Cultural Coda
Note: all government meetings noticed below are free and open to the public unless otherwise indicated. Many can be heard or seen live through each agency’s website.
The Sheriff’s daily incident reports and jail bookings are posted here.
In Court: A pre-trial is scheduled at 1:30 p.m. in Courtroom 401 at the Flagler County courthouse in the case of Phillip Haire Jr., accused of attempted murder in a shooting incident involving his parents and a sheriff’s deputy. He also faces charges of carjacking and burglary. Also scheduled for a pre-trial is the case of Levi Ovenshire, who faces an attempted murder charge in the shooting of Marco Salazar, 19, in Palm Coast’s F Section last June. The hearings are before Circuit Judge Dennis Craig.
Flagler’s Public Safety Coordinating Council meets at 8:45 a.m. at the Emergency Operations Center. The panel is expected to discuss opioids.
Palm Coast’s Leisure Services Advisory Committee meets at 6:30 p.m. at City Hall in Town Center. The panel will discuss the city’s five and 10-year capital improvement plan.
Blood Donations: The Big Red Bus will be at the following locations this week:
- Wednesday: Matanzas High School, 3535 Old Kings Road, Palm Coast, 8 a.m to 2:30 p.m.
- Friday: Panera Bread, 5880 State Road 100, Palm Coast, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Saturday: Chick fil A, 1000 Palm Coast Parkway NW, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Sunday: Walmart, 174 Cypress Point Parkway, Palm Coast, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Flagler Beach attorney Scott Spradley shot the following video Saturday, using his drone, of the recent sand accumulations south of the Flagler Beach Pier:
FILM INDUSTRY AT ISSUE: Sen. Annette Taddeo, D-Miami, will hold a news conference about a proposal (SB 1606) aimed at boosting the film industry in Florida. (Wednesday, 11:45 a.m., fourth floor, the Capitol.)
Most legislative committees are in session today.
STATE COLLEGE GROUP FOCUSES ON LEGISLATION: Madeline Pumariega, chancellor of the Florida College System, will be among the speakers during an Association of Florida Colleges Trustees Commission Legislative Conference. (Wednesday, conference starts at 9 a.m., Hotel Duval, 415 North Monroe St., Tallahassee.)
CABINET AIDES MEET: Aides to Gov. Rick Scott, Attorney General Pam Bondi, Agriculture Commissioner Adam Putnam and state Chief Financial Officer Jimmy Patronis will meet to discuss issues in advance of a Jan. 18 Cabinet meeting. (Wednesday, 9 a.m., Cabinet meeting room, the Capitol.)
PAROLE ISSUES ON TABLE: The Florida Commission on Offender Review is scheduled to meet and discuss numerous parole cases. (9 a.m., Betty Easley Conference Center, 4075 Esplanade Way, Tallahassee.)
CAMPAIGN FINANCE REPORTS DUE: State political candidates, committees and parties face a Wednesday deadline to file reports showing finance activity through Dec. 31.
—-Compiled by the News Service of Florida and FlaglerLive
To include your event in this section, please fill out this form.
NYT: To pay for The Wall, Trump is proposing to cut funding for border surveillance, radar, patrol boats and personnel: https://t.co/cFIfmZSQa6
— Daniel Dale (@ddale8) January 9, 2018
Naughty, explicit, racist: 2017’s rejected Florida license plates https://t.co/nDsNscMTMh
— Tampa Bay Times News and Weather (@tbocom) January 9, 2018
— News 6 WKMG (@news6wkmg) January 9, 2018
— jelani cobb (@jelani9) January 8, 2018
— Cato Institute (@CatoInstitute) January 9, 2018
Here’s a summary of the latest city developments as of Jan. 5, 2018, with a link to the full week in review here.
Vivaldi’s Winter in a Wintry Performance By Milan Řehák
- Bach: Musical Offering BWV 1079, Concert des Nations Jordi Savall
- Bach: Sonata for Gamba and Harpsichord in G minor, BWV 1029
- Claude Debussy, La fille aux cheveux de lin, from Préludes
- Bach’s Complete Christmas Oratorio BWV 248, Gardiner, Monteverdi Choir & Bach Soloists
- Angels in Heaven: Chris Rodrigues and the Spoon Lady
- Hindemith: Der Schwanendreher
- Brendel Performs Schubert’s A Major Sonata No. 22, D. 959
- The New York Philharmonic in a 2016 Performance of Dvorak’s New World Symphony
- Alexander Gavrylyuk Plays Bach İtalian Concerto
- Daniel Lozakovich, at 12 Years Old, Performs a Beethoven Violin and Piano Sonata
- Jacquet de la Guerre: Sonata in D minor for Violin and Continuo performed by House of Time
- Evgeni Koroliov Performs Claude Debussy Préludes
- Turkey’s Fazil Say Plays Mozart’s Alla Turca, Then His Own
- Guitarist John Williams at the BBC: The 2016 Documentary
- Sviatoslav Richter Plays Schubert’s Great Piano Sonata No 13 in A major, D 664
- Philip Glass’s Violin Concerto Performed on Sax by Amy Dixon
- Maria João Pires Performs Mozart’s Piano Concerto No. 17 in G Major, K 453
- When Mickey Mouse Jammed Out Carmen and Other Favorites
- Heinrich von Herzogenberg’s Trio for Piano, Oboe and Horn, Op. 61
- The Sublime Valses Poéticos by Enrique Granados, Performed By Albert Flotats
- Complete Performance of Berlioz’s Symphonie Fantastique: Leonard Bernstein, Orchestre National de France
- Yeol Eum Son Performs Charles Valentin Alkan
- A Crazy Encore by Yuja Wang at Carnegie Hall
- Phillip Sear Performs a Waltz By Neapolitan Composer Franco Alfano
- “Stranger Things” Cello Medley – Nicholas Yee
- Discover the Great Daniil Trifonov
- Afro-Venezuelan Shostakovich
- Bill Murray’s Mark Twain Prize: The Full Monty
- Mozart: Piano Concerto No. 22 in E flat major: Robert Levin and the Transylvania Philharmonic
- Mozart: Piano Quartet No. 1, KV 478
- Eleanor Rigby, performed by Sirius Quartet
- Mozart: Tamiri’s aria from Il re pastore: Elina Shimkus & Sinfonietta Riga
- Mariko M on the Cello, Mariko Terashita, violin, Perform Limerock
- Bohuslav Martinu: First Sonata for Flute and Piano
- Andras Schiff Performs All Six of Bach’s French Suites
- Paul Lewis plays Schubert’s Piano Sonata No. 20 in A Major, Andantino
- 14-Year-Old María Dueñas Fernández Performs Paganini’s Violin Concerto No. 1 at 2017 Competition