Today: Sunny. Patchy frost in the morning. Highs around 60. West winds 5 to 10 mph. Tonight: Clear. Lows in the lower 40s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Details here.
Today’s document from the National Archives and the Astronomy Picture of the Day.
Today’s tides: at the beaches, at the Intracoastal Waterway.
The OED’s Word of the Day: feartie, n..
The Live Community Calendar
Today’s jail bookings.
Today’s Briefing: Quick Links
- First Light
- In Flagler and Palm Coast
- Flagler Jail Bookings and Sheriff’s Crime Reports
- In State Government
- In Coming Days in Flagler, Palm Coast and Beyond
- The Day’s Best Reads
- Editor’s Tweets
- Fact-Checking the Knaves
- Palm Coast Construction and Development
- Local Road and Interstate Construction
- Cultural Coda
Note: all government meetings noticed below are free and open to the public unless otherwise indicated. Many can be heard or seen live through each agency’s website.
The Sheriff’s daily incident reports and jail bookings are posted here.
The Bunnell City Commission meets at 7 p.m. at City Hall, 201 West Moody Boulevard with an appearance by Kristen Terrell, Miss Bunnell USA, the first reading of an ordinance that will change the hours of alcohol availability in bars, and a progress report on flooding issues.
Thespian Showcases: The drama troupes from Flagler Palm Coast High School, Matanzas High School and Buddy Taylor Middle School are in a showcase at the Flagler Auditorium today. The auditorium did not post a time.
Bunnell Elementary School PTO Meeting at the school’s cafe, 5:30 p.m.
Blood Donations: The Big Red Bus will be at the following locations this week:
- Monday: Government Services Building, Bunnell, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Monday: Coastal Cloud, One Hammock Beach Parkway, from noon to 5 p.m.
- Wednesday: Flagler Technical Institute, 5400 Highway 100, Palm Coast, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Wednesday: Weichert Realtors Hallmark Properties, 9 Harbor Center Drive, Palm Coast, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Wednesday: Palm Coast Data, 2 Commerce Boulevard, Palm Coast, 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Thursday: Florida Hospital Flagler, 60 Memorial Parkway, Palm Coast, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Sunday: Starbucks on Palm Coast Parkway (Island Walk), 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Monday, Dec. 18: Flagler County Public Library, 2500 Palm Coast Parkway, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Ongoing: the 12th Annual Fantasy Lights Festival at Central Park in Palm Coast’s Town Center, hosted by the Rotary Club of Flagler County: 6:30-9 p.m. each night. Fantasy Lights is a free, self-guided walking tour around Central Park with 40 large animated light displays, festive live and broadcast holiday music, holiday snacks and beverages. A favorite for the kids is Santa’s Village with a collection of elf houses festively painted and nestled among the lights, warm fire to roast marshmallows or create s’mores, and encircling the village is Santa’s Merry Train Ride.
TAX EXEMPTION FOR DIAPERS TOUTED: Sen. Lauren Book, D-Plantation, will hold a news conference to discuss a proposal (SB 56) that would provide a sales-tax exemption for diapers and adult incontinence products. (Monday, 10 a.m., Children’s Diagnostic & Treatment Center 1401 South Federal Highway, Fort Lauderdale.)
WELFARE NUMBERS: The Social Services Estimating Conference will analyze caseloads and expenditures in the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, or TANF, program. (Monday, 1:30 p.m., 117 Knott Building, the Capitol.)
GUARDIANSHIP ISSUES ON TABLE: The Florida Supreme Court’s Guardianship Workgroup and the Working Interdisciplinary Networks of Guardianship Stakeholders will hold an event in Broward County to take input on guardianship issues. (Monday, 4 p.m., Broward County Judicial Complex, West Building, 201 S.E. Sixth St., Fort Lauderdale.)
CAMPAIGN FINANCE REPORTS DUE: State political candidates and committees face a Monday deadline for filing reports showing finance activity through Nov. 30.
—-Compiled by the News Service of Florida and FlaglerLive
To include your event in this section, please fill out this form.
— Thomas Power (@thomaspower) December 10, 2017
Nice burn https://t.co/ORmV3mcuvw
— Raw Story (@RawStory) December 10, 2017
— Top U.S. & World News🗽 (@USRealityCheck) December 10, 2017
"In 30 years, she will write an article asserting that living solo in a house that smells like cat pee is a sign of progressive purity and radical independence." https://t.co/afQdpp4kz0
— The American Conservative (@amconmag) December 10, 2017
— NYer Page-Turner (@pageturner) December 9, 2017
Updates of ongoing permitting, construction and development projects in Palm Coast usually run here, along with a link to the city’s Week in Review. But the Week in Review, under the guise of being modernized, has become flashier and power-point like while becoming less substantive and dumbed down. We may or may not link to it in future. Here’s a summary of the latest developments as of Oct. 6
Daniel Lozakovich, at 12 Years Old, Performs a Beethoven Violin and Piano Sonata
- Jacquet de la Guerre: Sonata in D minor for Violin and Continuo performed by House of Time
- Evgeni Koroliov Performs Claude Debussy Préludes
- Turkey’s Fazil Say Plays Mozart’s Alla Turca, Then His Own
- Guitarist John Williams at the BBC: The 2016 Documentary
- Sviatoslav Richter Plays Schubert’s Great Piano Sonata No 13 in A major, D 664
- Philip Glass’s Violin Concerto Performed on Sax by Amy Dixon
- Maria João Pires Performs Mozart’s Piano Concerto No. 17 in G Major, K 453
- When Mickey Mouse Jammed Out Carmen and Other Favorites
- Heinrich von Herzogenberg’s Trio for Piano, Oboe and Horn, Op. 61
- The Sublime Valses Poéticos by Enrique Granados, Performed By Albert Flotats
- Complete Performance of Berlioz’s Symphonie Fantastique: Leonard Bernstein, Orchestre National de France
- Yeol Eum Son Performs Charles Valentin Alkan
- A Crazy Encore by Yuja Wang at Carnegie Hall
- Phillip Sear Performs a Waltz By Neapolitan Composer Franco Alfano
- “Stranger Things” Cello Medley – Nicholas Yee
- Discover the Great Daniil Trifonov
- Afro-Venezuelan Shostakovich
- Bill Murray’s Mark Twain Prize: The Full Monty
- Norwegian Ice Festival
- Beethoven Flash
- Worlds Collide: Jan Vogler and Bill Murray
- Mozart: Piano Concerto No. 22 in E flat major: Robert Levin and the Transylvania Philharmonic
- Mozart: Piano Quartet No. 1, KV 478
- Eleanor Rigby, performed by Sirius Quartet
- Mozart: Tamiri’s aria from Il re pastore: Elina Shimkus & Sinfonietta Riga
- Mariko M on the Cello, Mariko Terashita, violin, Perform Limerock
- Bohuslav Martinu: First Sonata for Flute and Piano
- Andras Schiff Performs All Six of Bach’s French Suites
- Paul Lewis plays Schubert’s Piano Sonata No. 20 in A Major, Andantino
- 14-Year-Old María Dueñas Fernández Performs Paganini’s Violin Concerto No. 1 at 2017 Competition
- Andras Schiff Performs the whole of Bach’s Overture in the French Style in B minor, BWV 831
- Alexander Dunn plays Studies by Fernando Sor
- Fandango, by Antonio Soler
- Frescobaldi: Toccata in G, Magdalena Baczewska, harpsichord
- Willie Nelson: Full Concert, Woodstock, 1999
- How playing an instrument benefits your brain
- Mozart’s Requiem: Camerata Salzburg, Arsys Bourgogne, Cond.
- Repairing Willie Nelson’s guitar