Weekend: Hot and unsettled Friday, slightly cooler with highs in the 80s the rest of the weekend, with a 30 to 50 chance of thunderstorms each day. Nights in the 70s. Details here.
Today’s document from the National Archives and the Astronomy Picture of the Day.
Today’s tides: at the beaches, at the Intracoastal Waterway.
Drought Index is at 82.
The OED’s Word of the Day: Pooh Bah, n..
The Live Community Calendar
Today’s jail bookings.
Today’s Briefing: Quick Links
- First Light
- In Flagler and Palm Coast
- Flagler Jail Bookings and Sheriff’s Crime Reports
- In State Government
- In Coming Days in Flagler, Palm Coast and Beyond
- The Day’s Best Reads
- Fact-Checking the Knaves
- Palm Coast Construction and Development
- Local Road and Interstate Construction
- Cultural Coda
Note: all government meetings noticed below are free and open to the public unless otherwise indicated. Many can be heard or seen live through each agency’s website.
The Sheriff’s daily incident reports and jail bookings are posted here.
There is blessedly very little going on in Flagler, Palm Coast, Flagler Beach and Bunnell this weekend. Take a break. Enjoy the fruit of your labor, and more to the point, that of others who make your leisure possible. Be thankful for laborers, labor unions and unsung laborers everywhere.
Free For All Friday on WNZF: Host David Ayres welcomes Flagler County Fire Chief Don Petito and Bunnell City Manager Dan Davis, who will talk about the upcoming merger of the Bunnell Fire Department into the county’s fire services, Mari Molina of Flagler Cats, and Tim Spangler, the latest manager to try his hand at the ever-troubled Palm Harbor Golf Club, Palm Coast’s municipal golf course. Starting a little after 9 a.m. with a commentary on medical pot by FlaglerLive Editor Pierre Tristam, which you can hear here or read here.
One-day roadwork Friday in Espanola: Three short residential roadways in Espanola will be paved Friday as part of the larger project to widen and resurface County Road 13 between U.S. 1 and County Road 205. Halifax Paving will complete the roadwork on Knox Jones Avenue, Lincoln Street, and Railroad Street. No vehicles should be parked on those streets between the hours of 7 a.m. and 6 p.m. Drivers will experience brief lane closures throughout the day.
Seniors with diabetes invited to participate in free class at Wickline: Seniors with diabetes are invited to participate in a free six-week class to be held at the George Wickline Senior Center in Flagler Beach. The class runs from 2 to 4:30 p.m. on Tuesdays, September 12 through October 17. ElderSource and the Northeast Florida Area Health Education Center are sponsoring the series of workshops. The program is free, but pre-registration is required. It is open to those who are 60 years or older, and who have diabetes. Those interested should call the Northeast Florida Area Health Education Center at 877-784-8486. Class dates are September 12, 19 and 26, and October 3, 10 and 17. The George Wickline Senior Center is at 800 S. Daytona Avenue, Flagler Beach. For more information about the Flagler County Senior Services Department go to www.flaglercounty.org/senior_services.
The Florida Supreme Court is expected to resume issuing weekly opinions after a summer break. (11 a.m.)
To include your event in this section, please fill out this form.
The media is creating a left-wing “threat” to balance out the racist right-wing hordes who threaten civil society https://t.co/EF4GGPZx9C
— Salon (@Salon) August 31, 2017
— Vox (@voxdotcom) August 31, 2017
How I missed the eclipse and discovered the dark side of America https://t.co/VZOBgq091r
— Haaretz.com (@haaretzcom) August 31, 2017
An all-women “Lord of the Flies” movie is a contradiction in terms https://t.co/9uptrai4PJ
— Salon (@Salon) August 31, 2017
— Literary Hub (@lithub) August 17, 2017
Just finished The Incest Diaries and am 100% on board with Jo here https://t.co/TJBUSSNQG0
— Emily Gould (@EmilyGould) August 31, 2017
Updates of ongoing permitting, construction and development projects in Palm Coast usually run here, along with a link to the city’s Week in Review. But the Week in Review, under the guise of being modernized, has become flashier and power-point like while becoming less substantive and dumbed down. We may or may not link to it in future.
Willie Nelson: Full Concert, Woodstock, 1999
- How playing an instrument benefits your brain
- Mozart’s Requiem: Camerata Salzburg, Arsys Bourgogne, Cond.
- Repairing Willie Nelson’s guitar
- 100 Year Old Self-Playing Violin
- Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach Symphony B minor, Christophe Coin Ensemble Baroque, Limoges
- Wynton Marsalis Septet: Sunflowers (From The Marciac Suite Album)
- Nikolai Kedrov: Otche Nash (Our Father)
- Ludovico Einaudi, “Elegy for the Arctic”
- Black Violin at Apollo Amateur Night
- Bach’s Beer Bottles: The Art of Fugue, Contrapunctus 1
- Mozart’s Only String Trio, K563
- Sibelius’s Violin Concerto, Ida Haendel, Violin
- Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue: Marcus Roberts Trio, Seiji Ozawa, Cond. (2003)
- Wynton Marsalis takes the Horn Challenge
- Beethoven String Quartet No. 14 in C-sharp minor, Op. 131, Afiara Quartet
- K.D. Lang: The Mind of Love
- World’s Oldest Violin: Marco Rizzi Performs Schumann’s Sonata No. 2 on a 1566 Amati Violin
- Mark Knopfler on Guitars
- Bach’s Little Fugue in G minor, Performed by the Canadian Brass
- The Adventures of Henry Thoreau: A Young Man’s Unlikely Path to Walden Pond
- Macklemore Feat Skylar Grey: Glorious
- Edward Luce On the Retreat of Western Liberalism in the Trump Era
- Why Don’t All Instruments Sound The Same?
- Joachim Horsley’s “Beethoven in Havana”: What the Piano Can Do
- Bojan Cicic and Richard Egarr: Giovanni Carbonelli’s Violin Sonata No. 1
- Voyager: The 116 images NASA wants aliens to see
- Bohemian Rhapsody: Brooklyn Duo and Ft. Dover Quartet
- Down in the River to Pray: University of Texas Tuba/Euphonium Studio
- Brahms : Piano Quartet No. 1 in G minor, op. 25
- The Reluctant Fundamentalist: Mohsin Hamid in Conversation with Akhil Sharma
- “The Day After” (1983)
- Rui Arayama Performs Domenico Scarlatti’s Sonatas K.427 & K.455
- Villa-Lobos: Bachianas Brasileiras
- Angelina Jordan, 10 Years Old Norwegian, Sings the Blues: I Put A Spell On You
- Joseph Bodin de Boismortier (1689-1755), Concerto in B Minor for five Recorders Op. 15 Nr. 4, Abateva
- Introduction to Bullshit
- Chopin: 24 Etudes for Piano Op.10 , Op 25, Lukas Genjušas, Piano
- Alike: The Best Short Film Ever
- Fauré’s Requiem, Performed by the Ensemble Orchestral de Paris, Choeur Accentus
- Arthur Rubinstein Performs Saint-Saëns’s Piano Concerto No 2 in G minor, Op 22
- Mendelssohn’s Symphony No. 5, Reformation: Jérémie Rhorer Conducts the Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra