Today: Partly cloudy with chance of showers and slight chance of thunderstorms. Highs in the lower 90s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent. Heat index readings 102 to 106. Tonight: Partly cloudy. Chance of showers and slight chance of thunderstorms in the evening, then slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after midnight. Lows in the lower 70s. South winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent. Details here.
Today’s document from the National Archives and the Astronomy Picture of the Day.
Today’s tides: at the beaches, at the Intracoastal Waterway.
Drought Index: 258
The OED’s Word of the Day: discumb, v..
The Live Community Calendar
Today’s jail bookings.
Today’s Briefing: Quick Links
- First Light
- In Flagler and Palm Coast
- Flagler Jail Bookings and Last 24 Hours of Incident Reports
- In State Government
- In Coming Days in Flagler, Palm Coast and Beyond
- Fact-Checking the Knaves
- Palm Coast Construction and Development
- Local Road and Interstate Construction
- Cultural Coda
Note: all government meetings noticed below are free and open to the public unless otherwise indicated. Many can be heard or seen live through each agency’s website.
The Sheriff’s daily incident reports and jail bookings are posted here.
The Flagler County Commission meets in workshop at 3 p.m. at the Emergency Operations Center, 1769 E. Moody Blvd, Bldg. 3 (behind the Government Services Building), Bunnell, for an “educational briefing” on a wetlands restoration project in southern Flagler, and at 5 p.m. for a regular meeting at the Government Services Building in Bunnell.
Tiger Bay Luncheon: Husein Cumber, Executive Vice President for Corporate Development for Florida East Coast Industries, is the speaker at the Flagler Tiger Bay Club’s first luncheon, at 11:30 a.m. at the Hammock Beach Club, 200 Ocean Crest Drive in Palm Coast. FECI is one of Florida’s largest commercial real estate, transportation and infrastructure companies. Husein will discuss the possibility of a high speed train coming to Flagler County. Cumber guides major capital projects, including Brightline, the first privately owned, operated and maintained intercity passenger rail system in the U.S. in over 100 years. Prior to joining FECI, Mr. Cumber was Executive Vice President for Corporate Development for Florida East Coast Railway, L.L.C. (FEC), an affiliate company of FECI. Cumber served as the Deputy Chief of Staff at the U.S. Department of Transportation and prior to that was the Assistant to the Secretary for Policy. Attendees must be members or be invited as a guest by a member. Annual Individual membership dues for the club are $350, with a $100 registration fee. Membership does include lunch and speaker fees. For more information, or to join the club, those interested can visit www.FlaglerTigerBayClub.com.
The Bunnell Charter Review Committee meets at 4:30 p.m. at City Hall, 201 West Moody Boulevard, Bunnell.
Morning Beach Exploratory Walk at Gamble Rogers State Park, 8:30 a.m. Join our volunteer Master Naturalist Dale Grussing on a beach walk. You will learn about the natural beach ecosystem including native plant and animal species, nesting sea turtles, geology of the park, waves, currents, and rip tides. This tour combines morning exercise with an educational eco tour. All ages are welcome and minors must be accompanied by an adult. Walking shoes and appropriate dress, sunscreen, and drinking water are recommended. Participants should be able to walk in sand and uneven terrain on the beach. Special accommodations are available upon request prior to the event. This event is subject to cancellation due to weather conditions. We will be meeting at the beachside pavilion located on the east side of the park. Program is free with park admission! Gamble Rogers Memorial State Recreation Area at Flagler Beach, 3100 S. Oceanshore Blvd., Flagler Beach, FL. Call the Ranger Station at (386) 517-2086 for more information.
Saturday Through Sept. 23: Puppy Pub Crawl at participating pubs and restaurants to support adult and career education in Flagler: By purchasing a $50 Puppy Pub Crawl Passport either here or from Flagler Technical Institute at 5400 East Highway 100, Palm Coast, you will be able to receive a free drink at each participating bars/restaurants anytime during the event (see details below) as well as take advantage of all the great discounts that are included as a passholder. The event will culminate in a finale party at European Village on Sept. 22 where all Passport holders are welcome, with dog-related vendors, entertainment, raffle prizes, and more. Details here.
Through Sept. 23: The Palm Coast Senior Games. This year’s sanctioned events include archery, horseshoes, pickleball, tennis, golf and tai chi (new). The non-sanctioned events include ballroom dancing and a lot of new areas, such as sailboat racing, cornhole, bridge and cribbage. Men and women compete against other athletes and participants of the same gender and age group. Registration is $15 and includes a T-shirt and participation in one sport; participation in each additional sport event is $15. Competition is offered in 11 different age categories for sanctioned events and 3 different age categories for non-sanctioned events. To see the schedule and learn more, visit www.palmcoastgov.com/seniorgames. Registration can be accessed from the Senior Games website or directly at www.parksandrec.fun/seniors. Athletes may also register in person at the Palm Coast Community Center, 305 Palm Coast Pkwy. NE.
Blood Donations: The Big Red Bus will be at the following locations this week (schedule your donation by going to the website and entering a Palm Coast zip code, then locating one of the venues below):
- Monday: Flagler County Public Library, 2500 Palm Coast Parkway, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Monday: Flagler Department of Health301 Dr. Carter Blvd., 1 to 4 p.m.
- Tuesday: Government Services Building, Bunnell, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Wednesday: Flagler County Schools Transportation Department, 5400 State Road 100, Palm Coast, 7:30 a.m. to noon.
- Saturday: Winn Dixie at 1260 West Palm Coast Parkway, 7:30 a.m. to noon.
- Sunday: Winn Dixie, Flagler Plaza on State Road 100, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m .
Jail Bookings and Last 24 Hours' Incidents in Flagler, Palm Coast, Flagler Beach, Bunnell
|Jail Bookings, June 19-22|
Sheriff's night shift incident reports, June 21
Sheriff's day shift incident reports, June 21
Flagler Beach's night shift incident reports, June 21
Flagler Beach's day shift incident reports, June 21
Bunnell police's night shift incident reports, June 21
Bunnell police's day shift incident reports, June 21
REPORT DELVES INTO CHARTER SCHOOLS: The group Integrity Florida will release a report about charter schools. (Monday, 11 a.m., Florida Press Center, 336 East College Ave., Tallahassee.)
—-Compiled by the News Service of Florida and FlaglerLive
To include your event in this section, please fill out this form.
Keep Up with Donald Trump’s attacks on the press through the ACLU’s running tab here.
Keep Up with mass shootings in a running database here.
Here’s a summary of the latest city developments as of Sept. 14, 2018, with a link to the full week in review here.
Couperin, Second Concert from ‘Concerts Royaux’
- Covering the New Wars: A Conversation with C.J. Chivers
- Erroll Garner: Where or When (1962)
- Joaquín Rodrigo’s Concierto de Aranjuez, Performed by Pepe Romero
- Rimsky-Korsakov’s Scheherazade, Vienna Philharmonic (Salzburg Festival 2005)
- Barenboim & Argerich : Mozart Sonata for Two Pianos, K.448
- Beethoven: Symphony No.6, the “Pastorale,” the Deutsche Kammerphilharmonie Bremen, Paavo Jarvi, dir.
- The Aquarium from Carnival of the Animals
- Aladdin Haddad Performs Albeniz’s Asturias
- Hector Berlioz: Trio “Arrival at Sais” (from “L´Enfance du Christ”, op. 25)
- Karajan: Dvorak Symphony No.8 Rehearsal
- Aretha Franklin: Full Concert (1971)
- Toru Takemitsu: From Me Flows What You Call Time
- Carl Nielsen’s Quintet op. 43 Performed by Carion
- Modest Musorgsky’s Pictures at an Exhibition for Woodwind Quintet
- Anton Reicha: Woodwind Quintet in Eb major op.88 no.2
- Balakirev: Islamey, Performed by Giuseppe Mentuccia
- Jean Rondeau Plays Soler’s Fandango
- Chloe Moriondo’s “La vie en rose”