Today: Breezy. Cooler. Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 80s. Northeast winds 15 to 20 mph with gusts to 35 mph. Tonight: Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers. Lows in the lower 70s. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph. Details here.
Today’s document from the National Archives and the Astronomy Picture of the Day.
Today’s tides: at the beaches, at the Intracoastal Waterway.
Drought Index is at 231 (figure calculated before this weekend’s monsoon).
The OED’s Word of the Day: neuston, n..
The Live Community Calendar
Today’s jail bookings.
Today’s Briefing: Quick Links
- First Light
- In Flagler and Palm Coast
- Flagler Jail Bookings and Sheriff’s Crime Reports
- In State Government
- In Coming Days in Flagler, Palm Coast and Beyond
- The Day’s Best Reads
- Editor’s Tweets
- Fact-Checking the Knaves
- Palm Coast Construction and Development
- Local Road and Interstate Construction
- Cultural Coda
Note: all government meetings noticed below are free and open to the public unless otherwise indicated. Many can be heard or seen live through each agency’s website.
The Sheriff’s daily incident reports and jail bookings are posted here.
Pink Army Flag Raising: Florida Hospital Flagler officials, Flagler County and other governments and civic groups gather at the flagpole in front of the Government Services Building in Bunnell at 8:15 a.m. for the annual raising of the Pink Army flag, signifying the launch of a series of annual events designed to raise funds for breast-cancer research.
The Flagler County Commission meets twice today, first at 9 a.m. for a regularly scheduled decision meeting, at which the commission is expected to
approve a $15,000 economic incentive program for a private company that has not been named, and to approve the merger of the Bunnell fire department into the county’s fire services. The Bunnell City Commission approved the merger last week. The commission meets again in a 1 p.m. workshop at the Emergency Operations Center, behind the GBS, to discuss a civil citation program that would decriminalize the possession of small amounts of marijuana. The Public Safety Coordinating Council, a collection of local law enforcement, government and judicial agencies, approved the program in limited form, but did so when Jim Manfre was sheriff. His successor, Rick Staly, is not as supportive of the proposal. To be enacted, the county commission must approve it, and it would be in effect only in unincorporated areas unless cities also approve a similar ordinance.
The Flagler County Veterans Advisory Council meets at 4 p.m. in the First Floor Conference Room, Government Services Building, 769 E. Moody Blvd., Building 2, Bunnell.
The Bunnell City Commission meets at 6:30 p.m. at City Hall for its second and final budget hearing, at which next year’s tax rate is set.
Anti-Bullying presentations will take place all day at Rymfire Elementary in the Gym, at 1425 Rymfire Drive, Palm Coast.
Hurricane Maria slammed the Caribbean just days after it was hit by Irma. Here's how you can help those in need. https://t.co/oLyh2Q07YD pic.twitter.com/xJIOAXUz5E
— CNN International (@cnni) September 21, 2017
In Florida and in State Government:
Note: Some proceedings below can be followed live on the Florida Channel. Most legislative proceedings can be followed through the Senate or House websites.
SCOTT HOSTS LATIN AMERICAN SUMMIT: Gov. Rick Scott will host a Latin American Summit in South Florida. Speakers are expected to include U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla.; U.S. Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, R-Fla.; U.S. Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart, R-Fla.; U.S. Rep. Francis Rooney, R-Fla.; and U.S. Rep. Carlos Curbelo, R-Fla. (Monday, 8:30 a.m., InterContinental Hotel Miami, 100 Chopin Plaza, Miami.)
CONSTITUTION REVISION COMISSION MEETS: The Florida Constitution Revision Commission and two of its committees are scheduled to meet. (Monday, 8:30 a.m., Rules and Administration Committee, 401 Senate Office Building, the Capitol. Also, 10 a.m., full commission, Senate chamber, the Capitol. Also, 3:30 p.m., Style and Drafting Committee, 110 Senate Office Building, the Capitol.)
REPORT ON PSC RELEASED: The group Integrity Florida will hold a news conference to release a report about the structure and rate-making decisions of the state Public Service Commission. (Monday, 11 a.m., Florida Press Center, 336 East College Ave., Tallahassee.)
In Coming Days in Palm Coast, Flagler and the Occasional Beyond:
To include your event in this section, please fill out this form.
Community rallies behind homeless man after Facebook photo goes viral https://t.co/a78ru1n5Cj pic.twitter.com/7iHgblLscS
— WESH 2 News (@WESH) October 1, 2017
Should Rex Tillerson Resign? https://t.co/6HYvYJGmPJ via @politicomag
— Glenn Kessler (@GlennKesslerWP) October 1, 2017
Local German authorities began allowing same-sex weddings on Sunday https://t.co/6sRpXKePIC pic.twitter.com/s34U1VUINk
— AFP news agency (@AFP) October 1, 2017
A Star Athlete Was Set to Be Valedictorian. Then His School Booted Him https://t.co/DvSvmkmZIH pic.twitter.com/pFilTKrPnk
— Newser (@Newser) October 1, 2017
Paris experimented with a #CarFreeDay intended to leave the streets vacant for slower, clean forms of transport https://t.co/IBDOQPXq4B pic.twitter.com/HpqtIN5GwC
— AFP news agency (@AFP) October 1, 2017
Palm Coast Construction and Development Progress Reports
Updates of ongoing permitting, construction and development projects in Palm Coast usually run here, along with a link to the city’s Week in Review. But the Week in Review, under the guise of being modernized, has become flashier and power-point like while becoming less substantive and dumbed down. We may or may not link to it in future.
Road and Interstate Construction:
Bohuslav Martinu: First Sonata for Flute and Piano
- 14-Year-Old María Dueñas Fernández Performs Paganini’s Violin Concerto No. 1 at the 2017 Zhuhai International Competition
- Andras Schiff Performs the whole of Bach’s Overture in the French Style in B minor, BWV 831
- Alexander Dunn plays Studies by Fernando Sor
- Fandango, by Antonio Soler
- Frescobaldi: Toccata in G, Magdalena Baczewska, harpsichord
- Willie Nelson: Full Concert, Woodstock, 1999
- How playing an instrument benefits your brain
- Mozart’s Requiem: Camerata Salzburg, Arsys Bourgogne, Cond.
- Repairing Willie Nelson’s guitar
- 100 Year Old Self-Playing Violin
- Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach Symphony B minor, Christophe Coin Ensemble Baroque, Limoges
- Wynton Marsalis Septet: Sunflowers (From The Marciac Suite Album)
- Nikolai Kedrov: Otche Nash (Our Father)
- Ludovico Einaudi, “Elegy for the Arctic”
- Black Violin at Apollo Amateur Night
- Bach’s Beer Bottles: The Art of Fugue, Contrapunctus 1
- Mozart’s Only String Trio, K563
- Sibelius’s Violin Concerto, Ida Haendel, Violin
- Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue: Marcus Roberts Trio, Seiji Ozawa, Cond. (2003)
- Wynton Marsalis takes the Horn Challenge
- Beethoven String Quartet No. 14 in C-sharp minor, Op. 131, Afiara Quartet
- K.D. Lang: The Mind of Love
- World’s Oldest Violin: Marco Rizzi Performs Schumann’s Sonata No. 2 on a 1566 Amati Violin
- Mark Knopfler on Guitars
- Bach’s Little Fugue in G minor, Performed by the Canadian Brass
- The Adventures of Henry Thoreau: A Young Man’s Unlikely Path to Walden Pond
- Macklemore Feat Skylar Grey: Glorious
- Edward Luce On the Retreat of Western Liberalism in the Trump Era
- Why Don’t All Instruments Sound The Same?
- Joachim Horsley’s “Beethoven in Havana”: What the Piano Can Do
- Bojan Cicic and Richard Egarr: Giovanni Carbonelli’s Violin Sonata No. 1
- Voyager: The 116 images NASA wants aliens to see
- Bohemian Rhapsody: Brooklyn Duo and Ft. Dover Quartet
- Down in the River to Pray: University of Texas Tuba/Euphonium Studio
- Brahms : Piano Quartet No. 1 in G minor, op. 25
- The Reluctant Fundamentalist: Mohsin Hamid in Conversation with Akhil Sharma
- “The Day After” (1983)
- Rui Arayama Performs Domenico Scarlatti’s Sonatas K.427 & K.455
- Villa-Lobos: Bachianas Brasileiras
- Angelina Jordan, 10 Years Old Norwegian, Sings the Blues: I Put A Spell On You
- Joseph Bodin de Boismortier (1689-1755), Concerto in B Minor for five Recorders Op. 15 Nr. 4, Abateva
- Introduction to Bullshit
- Alike: The Best Short Film Ever
- Fauré’s Requiem, Performed by the Ensemble Orchestral de Paris, Choeur Accentus
- Mendelssohn’s Symphony No. 5, Reformation: Jérémie Rhorer Conducts the Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra
Leave a Reply