Today: Partly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs around 90. North winds 5 mph shifting to the east in the afternoon. Tonight: Mostly cloudy with slight chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening, then partly cloudy with slight chance of showers after midnight. Lows in the mid 70s. Southeast winds 5 mph shifting to the southwest after midnight. Chance of rain 20 percent. Details here.
Drought Index is at 165.
Today’s tides: at the beaches, at the Intracoastal Waterway.
Today’s document from the National Archives.
The OED’s Word of the Day: coze, n..
The Live Community Calendar
Today’s jail bookings.
Today’s Briefing: Quick Links
- First Light
- In Flagler and Palm Coast
- Flagler Jail Bookings and Sheriff’s Crime Reports
- In State Government
- In Coming Days in Flagler, Palm Coast and Beyond
- The Day’s Best Reads
- Fact-Checking the Knaves
- Palm Coast Construction and Development
- Local Road and Interstate Construction
- Cultural Coda
Note: all government meetings noticed below are free and open to the public unless otherwise indicated. Many can be heard or seen live through each agency’s website.
The Sheriff’s daily incident reports and jail bookings are posted here.
Former United Nations Ambassador Nancy Soderberg, a Democrat, kicks off her campaign for Congress from the 6th Congressional District, which includes all of Flagler County. The district is currently represented by Ron DeSantis, a Republican. Soderrberg’s event is scheduled for 10:30 a.m. at Cafe Da Vinci in Deland, 112 West Georgia Avenue. Soderberg, President and CEO of Soderberg Global Solutions, was Deputy National Security Advisor and U.S. Ambassador at the United Nations during the Clinton administration.
The Flagler County Technical Review Committee meets at 9 a.m. in the First Floor Conference Room of the Government Services Building, Bunnell.
The Tourist Development Council meets at 10 a.m. in board chambers at Government Services Building, Bunnell. The council considers dozens of grants in one fell swoop, following up on Tourism Director Matt Dunn’s new system of processing those grants in a lump sum rather than over the course of the year. See the full agenda and background material here.
The Flagler County Contractor Review Board meets at 5 p.m. in board chambers at the Government Services Building, Bunnell.
Blood drive today from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the City of Bunnell, 201 W. Moody Boulevard. In coming days: 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. July 20 at the Flagler County Sheriff’s Operations Center, 901 E. Moody Boulevard; 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. July 21 at Palm Coast Fire Department Station 25, 1250 Belle Terre Parkway; and, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. July 24 at the Flagler County Emergency Operations Center, 1769 E. Moody Blvd., Building 3. “We are pleased to be part of this event,” said Flagler County Fire Chief Don Petito. “Our firefighter-paramedics know what a crucial part of saving lives these blood drives are.” Blood is the only non-manufactured life-sustaining product. It cannot be reproduced. “A few of you may be familiar with our ‘Guns and Hoses’ competitive blood drive,” said Danielle Summa, the Volusia/Flagler OneBlood account representative. “We decided to change it up and make it a community event, now being called ‘Be a Hero.’” Those who donate blood will receive a T-shirt and a wellness check-up that includes blood pressure, pulse, temperature, iron count, and cholesterol screening. Walk-ins are welcome, but appointments can be made online at www.oneblooddonor.org.
The Genealogy Society of Flagler County holds its monthly meeting at 5:30 p.m. at the Flagler County Public Library, 2500 Palm Coast Parkway. Bill Meister will present the third part of his series, “Back to Basics.”
Colorado Bridge in Palm Coast Closed for reconstruction through mid- to late-September
The Colorado Bridge, on Colorado Drive between Crandell Court and Crampton Court in Palm Coast, will be remain closed through mid- to late-September as reconstruction of the bridge continues. This project is part of the City of Palm Coast’s bridge rehabilitation program. Detours are being provided. Those east of the bridge are using Colechester Lane, and those west of the bridge are using Colorado Drive to access Palm Harbor Parkway. The City of Palm Coast appreciates the continued patience of residents and motorists during this important bridge reconstruction project. For more information, call Customer Service at 386-986-2360.
Interest rates: The Economic Estimating Conference will discuss interest rates used in appropriations. (8:30 a.m., 117 Knott Building, the Capitol.)
The Florida Citrus Commission is scheduled to meet. (9 a.m., Florida Department of Citrus, 605 East Main St., Bartow. Call-in number: 1-888-670-3525. Code: 2265370149#)
Parole: The Florida Commission on Offender Review will meet and discuss numerous parole cases related to crimes committed in the 1970s and 1980s. (9 a.m., Betty Easley Conference Center, 4075 Esplanade Way, Tallahassee.)
Youth Leadership Forum: The Able Trust will start its annual Youth Leadership Forum, which brings together 70 high-school students and young adults with disabilities for leadership training and career-related activities. The forum will continue through Saturday. (Opening ceremonies at 5:15 p.m., Florida State University, SouthGate dorm, Tallahassee.)
To include your event in this section, please fill out this form.
Questions of policy and of social science run on different tracks. Mixing them gets complicated. https://t.co/D017EQn13y
— Arts & Letters Daily (@aldaily) July 18, 2017
— Foreign Policy (@ForeignPolicy) July 17, 2017
If John McCain were uninsured, his surgery could have cost $76,000 https://t.co/j2WC9IkQs4
— Vox (@voxdotcom) July 17, 2017
— Conrad Hackett (@conradhackett) July 18, 2017
— Literary Hub (@lithub) July 17, 2017
The following is an update of ongoing permitting, construction and development projects in Palm Coast, through July 14 (the city administration’s full week in review is here):
World’s Oldest Violin: Marco Rizzi Performs Schumann’s Sonata No. 2 on a 1566 Amati Violin
- Mark Knopfler on Guitars
- Bach’s Little Fugue in G minor, Performed by the Canadian Brass
- The Adventures of Henry Thoreau: A Young Man’s Unlikely Path to Walden Pond
- Macklemore Feat Skylar Grey: Glorious
- Edward Luce On the Retreat of Western Liberalism in the Trump Era
- Why Don’t All Instruments Sound The Same?
- Joachim Horsley’s “Beethoven in Havana”: What the Piano Can Do
- Bojan Cicic and Richard Egarr: Giovanni Carbonelli’s Violin Sonata No. 1
- Voyager: The 116 images NASA wants aliens to see
- Bohemian Rhapsody: Brooklyn Duo and Ft. Dover Quartet
- Down in the River to Pray: University of Texas Tuba/Euphonium Studio
- Brahms : Piano Quartet No. 1 in G minor, op. 25
- The Reluctant Fundamentalist: Mohsin Hamid in Conversation with Akhil Sharma
- “The Day After” (1983)
- Rui Arayama Performs Domenico Scarlatti’s Sonatas K.427 & K.455
- Villa-Lobos: Bachianas Brasileiras
- Angelina Jordan, 10 Years Old Norwegian, Sings the Blues: I Put A Spell On You
- Joseph Bodin de Boismortier (1689-1755), Concerto in B Minor for five Recorders Op. 15 Nr. 4, Abateva
- Introduction to Bullshit
- Chopin: 24 Etudes for Piano Op.10 , Op 25, Lukas Genjušas, Piano
- Alike: The Best Short Film Ever
- Fauré’s Requiem, Performed by the Ensemble Orchestral de Paris, Choeur Accentus
- Arthur Rubinstein Performs Saint-Saëns’s Piano Concerto No 2 in G minor, Op 22
- Mendelssohn’s Symphony No. 5, Reformation: Jérémie Rhorer Conducts the Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra
- C.P.E. Bach Keyboard Sonata in F sharp minor, Wq 52 4
- Boccherini: Quintet with Guitar G 448 D-Major
- Jean-Baptiste Poyard Performs Telemann’s Violin Fantasia n°1
- Eudora Welty Reads “A Worn Path”
- Francis Poulenc at the piano
- Antonin Dvořák: Romance for Violin and Orchestra performed by Tanja Sonc
- Joseph Haydn’s Symphony Nr. 66 in F major, Herbert Blomstedt, cond.
- Sarah Chang Plays Elgar’s Damn Romantic Salut d’amour, Op. 12
- Beethoven: Symphony No. 7, Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Iván Fischer, cond.
- Rimsky-Korsakov, Russian Easter Festival Overture, Op. 36
- Händel: Keyboard Suite HWV 428, Daria van den Bercken, piano
- Haydn: Piano Trio No. 39 in G major Hob. XV/25
- Mozart: Ave Verum Corpus, Leonard Bernstein
- What is McCarthyism? And how did it happen?
- The Corrs: Toss the Feathers
- Peter Falk’s Acceptance Speech for 1972 Emmy, for Colombo
- How Did Beethoven Compose His 9th Symphony After He Went Completely Deaf?