Today: Showers and thunderstorms likely. Highs in the upper 80s. West winds 5 mph shifting to the northeast in the afternoon. Chance of rain 70 percent. Heat index readings 98 to 102. Tonight: Mostly cloudy with chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening, then partly cloudy with slight chance of showers after midnight. Lows in the lower 70s. Northeast winds 5 mph. Chance of rain 30 percent. Details here.
Drought Index is at 112.
Today’s tides: at the beaches, at the Intracoastal Waterway.
Today’s document from the National Archives.
The OED’s Word of the Day: malarkey, n..
The Live Community Calendar
Today’s jail bookings.
Today’s Briefing: Quick Links
- First Light
- In Flagler and Palm Coast
- Flagler Jail Bookings and Sheriff’s Crime Reports
- In State Government
- In Coming Days in Flagler, Palm Coast and Beyond
- The Day’s Best Reads
- Fact-Checking the Knaves
- Palm Coast Construction and Development
- Local Road and Interstate Construction
- Cultural Coda
“Then they fell upon each other, like young bulls, in all the glory of youth, with naked fists, with hatred, with desire to hurt, to maim, to destroy. All the painful, thousand years’ gains of man in his upward climb through creation were lost. Only the electric light remained, a milestone on the path of the great human adventure. Martin and Cheese-Face were two savages, of the stone age, of the squatting place and the tree refuge. They sank lower and lower into the muddy abyss, back into the dregs of the raw beginnings of life, striving blindly and chemically, as atoms strive, as the star-dust if the heavens strives, colliding, recoiling, and colliding again and eternally again.”
–Jack London, from “Martin Eden”.
Note: all government meetings noticed below are free and open to the public unless otherwise indicated. Many can be heard or seen live through each agency’s website.
The Sheriff’s daily incident reports and jail bookings are posted here.
Save Our Health Care Rally: Local progressives led by Indivisible Flagler are holding a rally to protect the Affordable Care Act from repeal, as proposed in a GOP bill currently trying to win enough support for passage before the July 4 recess. The rally is from noon to 1 p.m. at the northwest corner of State Road 100 in front of Florida Hospital Flagler’s entrance in Palm Coast. A statement from Indivisible’s Diana Becker-LeBrun: “Now that we’ve seen the Senate TrumpCare bill, Americans should ask themselves one simple question: Would this bill harm my family? Unless you are a giant corporation or super wealthy, the answer is clearly yes. The Senate bill keeps the same harmful effects of the House version–it rips coverage away from millions of Americans, eliminates protections for Americans with pre-existing conditions, and increases costs for middle-class families.”
Local Mitigation Strategy Meeting: The Emergency Management staff is holding its multi-jurisdictional quarterly Local Mitigation Strategy public meeting to discuss grant funding, ongoing project progress and updates to Community Rating System program implementation efforts. Anybody interested in attending the meeting or wishing to learn more about mitigation is encouraged to attend or contact the county’s mitigation planner. 1:30 p.m. at Emergency Operations Center 1769 E. Moody Blvd., Bldg 3 Bunnell.
Bus trip through history: Join local author Bill Ryan to learn about historic and interesting county sites on a bus trip sponsored by the Flagler County Historical Society. The adventure begins at the Holden House, 204 East Moody Boulevard in Bunnell at 10 a.m. and ends at 2:30 p.m. The cost is $20 person which does not include lunch at the Bull Creek Fish Camp. To make reservations please call 386-439-5003.
Habitat for Humanity dedicates a home for a family of eight, to which the State Housing Initiatives Partnerships provided $20,000 in assistance, at 28 Ryland Drive, Palm Coast, at 3:30 p.m.
The Flagler County NAACP holds its monthly meeting at 6 p.m., at the African American Cultural Society, 4422 North U.S. 1, Palm Coast.
The last Entrepreneur Night event before the Summer break heads to West Volusia for the first time, and is expecting nearly 200 in attendance. The event will be held at Artisan Grill, starting at 5:30 p.m. As always, there is no admission fee. Event is open to entrepreneurs and aspiring entrepreneurs alike, so click through for complete location details and to RSVP. And yes, you may bring a friend.
I repeat the firm condemnation of every form of torture and call on everyone to work for its abolishment and support victims and families.
— Pope Francis (@Pontifex) June 26, 2017
In Florida and in State Government:
Note: Some proceedings below can be followed live on the Florida Channel. Most legislative proceedings can be followed through the Senate or House websites.
Nothing of note.
In Coming Days in Palm Coast, Flagler and the Occasional Beyond:
To include your event in this section, please fill out this form.
We don’t need a tax cut at the expense of less fortunate people who will be deprived of basic care https://t.co/TyrJRVvMSG #NYTLetters
— New York Times Opinion (@nytopinion) June 26, 2017
For Raqqans, the end of ISIS' rule will not mean the end of war. https://t.co/Y1S7pcdtaQ
— Foreign Policy (@ForeignPolicy) June 26, 2017
The trans issue is not about bathrooms. It's about "the fundamentals of human identity." Dreher: https://t.co/9vlcrWwwlV
— The American Conservative (@amconmag) June 26, 2017
Guess what your favorite writers are reading this summer. https://t.co/amQcl7DSfe
— NY Public Library (@nypl) June 26, 2017
Palm Coast Construction and Development Progress Reports
The following is an update of ongoing permitting, construction and development projects in Palm Coast, through June 24 (the city administration’s full week in review is here):
Click to access development-june-14-2017.pdf
Road and Interstate Construction:
Bojan Cicic and Richard Egarr: Giovanni Carbonelli’s Violin Sonata No. 1
- Voyager: The 116 images NASA wants aliens to see
- Bohemian Rhapsody: Brooklyn Duo and Ft. Dover Quartet
- Down in the River to Pray: University of Texas Tuba/Euphonium Studio
- Brahms : Piano Quartet No. 1 in G minor, op. 25
- The Reluctant Fundamentalist: Mohsin Hamid in Conversation with Akhil Sharma
- “The Day After” (1983)
- Rui Arayama Performs Domenico Scarlatti’s Sonatas K.427 & K.455
- Villa-Lobos: Bachianas Brasileiras
- Angelina Jordan, 10 Years Old Norwegian, Sings the Blues: I Put A Spell On You
- Joseph Bodin de Boismortier (1689-1755), Concerto in B Minor for five Recorders Op. 15 Nr. 4, Abateva
- Introduction to Bullshit
- Chopin: 24 Etudes for Piano Op.10 , Op 25, Lukas Genjušas, Piano
- Alike: The Best Short Film Ever
- Fauré’s Requiem, Performed by the Ensemble Orchestral de Paris, Choeur Accentus
- Arthur Rubinstein Performs Saint-Saëns’s Piano Concerto No 2 in G minor, Op 22
- Mendelssohn’s Symphony No. 5, Reformation: Jérémie Rhorer Conducts the Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra
- C.P.E. Bach Keyboard Sonata in F sharp minor, Wq 52 4
- Boccherini: Quintet with Guitar G 448 D-Major
- Jean-Baptiste Poyard Performs Telemann’s Violin Fantasia n°1
- Eudora Welty Reads “A Worn Path”
- Francis Poulenc at the piano
- Antonin Dvořák: Romance for Violin and Orchestra performed by Tanja Sonc
- Joseph Haydn’s Symphony Nr. 66 in F major, Herbert Blomstedt, cond.
- Sarah Chang Plays Elgar’s Damn Romantic Salut d’amour, Op. 12
- Beethoven: Symphony No. 7, Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Iván Fischer, cond.
- Rimsky-Korsakov, Russian Easter Festival Overture, Op. 36
- Händel: Keyboard Suite HWV 428, Daria van den Bercken, piano
- Haydn: Piano Trio No. 39 in G major Hob. XV/25
- Mozart: Ave Verum Corpus, Leonard Bernstein
- What is McCarthyism? And how did it happen?
- The Corrs: Toss the Feathers
- Peter Falk’s Acceptance Speech for 1972 Emmy, for Colombo
- How Did Beethoven Compose His 9th Symphony After He Went Completely Deaf?
- Ray Chen Performs Mendelssohn’s Violin Concerto in E minor, Op. 64
- The Well Tempered Clavier, Book 1,HJ Lim, Piano
- Alicia de Larrocha plays Two Spanish Dances By Granados
- Comparone Plays a Scarlatti Sonata
- C. A. de Beriot, scene de Ballet, Daniel Shindarov, violin, Sergey Silvanskiy, piano
- Johnny Cash: Sunday Morning Coming Down
- Cinema Paradiso: The Main Theme
- Duke Ellington’s Take the A Train
- The Temptations and the Four Tops in a Motown Medley
- Sheku Kanneh-Mason Performs Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah,” Arranged By Tom Hodge
- Alessandro Marcello’s Oboe Concerto
- Isaac Albéniz, Suite Iberia, Félix Ardanaz, piano
- Johannes Ockeghem: Ave Maria
Leave a Reply