Today:: Cooler, sunny. Highs in the mid 50s. North winds 5 to 10 mph. Tonight: Mostly clear. Lows in the lower 40s. North winds 5 to 10 mph. Details here.
Today’s document from the National Archives and the Astronomy Picture of the Day.
Today’s tides: at the beaches, at the Intracoastal Waterway.
Drought Index: 67
The OED’s Word of the day: jabroni, n.
The Live Community Calendar
Today’s jail bookings.
Today’s Briefing: Quick Links
- First Light
- In Flagler and Palm Coast
- Flagler Jail Bookings and Last 24 Hours of Incident Reports
- In State Government
- In Coming Days in Flagler, Palm Coast and Beyond
- Fact-Checking the Knaves
- Palm Coast Construction and Development
- Local Road and Interstate Construction
- Cultural Coda
“It had really begun. The issues were drawn, false issues; the real issues were postwar fear and uncertainty. Around the country [Joe McCarthy] flew, reckless and audacious, stopping long enough to make a new charge, to exhibit a new list, a good newsworthy press conference at the airport, hail-fellow well met with the reporters, and then on to the next stop, the emptiness of the charge never catching up with him, the American press exploited in its false sense of objectivity (if a high official said something, then it was news, if not fact, and the role of the reporter was to print it straight without commenting, without assaulting the credibility of the incredulous; that was objectivity). It was like a circus.”
–From David Halberstam’s “The Best and the Brightest” (1973).
Note: all government meetings noticed below are free and open to the public unless otherwise indicated. Many can be heard or seen live through each agency’s website.
The Sheriff’s daily incident reports and jail bookings are posted here.
The Flagler Beach City Commission meets at 5:30 p.m. at City Hall. Commissioners are expected to get a a presentation from Walker Consultants regarding the latest Parking Study.
The Odessa Ballet performs Swan Lake at the Flagler Auditorium, 7:30 p.m.
Town Hall with Flagler County Commissioner Joe Mullins, Emergency Management Chief Jonathan Lord, and Jerry Smith and Caryn Prather of Flagler County Fire Rescue, to discuss issues and concerns of the area as well as share information about county services, emergency preparedness and community paramedicine. At Community Baptist Church, 956 South Old Dixie Highway
Bunnell, 6 p.m.
Blood Donations: The Big Red Bus will be at the following locations this week (schedule your donation by going to the website and entering a Palm Coast zip code, then locating one of the venues below):
- Sunday: Bealls, 1210 Palm Coast Parkway, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Jail Bookings and Last 24 Hours' Incidents in Flagler, Palm Coast, Flagler Beach, Bunnell
|Jail Bookings, June 19-22
Sheriff's night shift incident reports, June 21
Sheriff's day shift incident reports, June 21
Flagler Beach's night shift incident reports, June 21
Flagler Beach's day shift incident reports, June 21
Bunnell police's night shift incident reports, June 21
Bunnell police's day shift incident reports, June 21
In Florida and in State Government:
Note: Some proceedings below can be followed live on the Florida Channel. Most legislative proceedings can be followed through the Senate or House websites.
COURT FILINGS CONSIDERED: The House Civil Justice Subcommittee will receive a presentation from the Office of the State Courts Administrator about court-system filings and dispositions. (Thursday, 9 a.m., 404 House Office Building, the Capitol.)
SUPREME COURT RELEASES OPINIONS: The Florida Supreme Court is scheduled to release its weekly opinions. (Thursday, 11 a.m.)
FINANCE REPORTS DUE: State candidates running in 2020, political committees and parties face a Thursday deadline for filing reports showing finance activity through Dec. 31.
—-Compiled by the News Service of Florida and FlaglerLive
In Coming Days in Palm Coast, Flagler and the Occasional Beyond:
To include your event in this section, please fill out this form.
Keep Up with Donald Trump’s attacks on the press through the ACLU’s running tab here.
Keep Up with mass shootings in a running database here.
Palm Coast Construction and Development Progress Reports
Here’s a summary of the latest city developments as of Dec. 7, 2018, with a link to the full week in review here.
Click to access week-in-review-dec-14-2018-development.pdf
Road and Interstate Construction:
- Schubert’s Piano Quintet in A major, D.667 (“Trout”)
- Charpentier: Messe de Minuit pour Noel (Midnight Mass for Christmas)
- Mozart – Violin Concerto No.3, Hillary Hahn
- Mozart’s Piano Concerto No. 20 in D minor, Ivan Klansky, piano
- Victor Herbert’s Irish Rhapsody
- Malcolm Arnold: Serenade for Guitar and Strings
- Claude Bolling – Suite for Chamber Orchestra and Jazz Piano Trio: Gracieuse (Carlo Pari)
- Aldo Ciccolini Performs Brahms’s Intermezzo n.2 op.118
- Erik Bosgraaf in performance at Wilton’s Music Hall
- Erik Bosgraaf & the Stradivarius of the recorder
- Medtner : Sonata for Piano in A Minor Op. 38 n°1 “Reminiscenza” (Evgeny Svetlanov)
- Ferdinand Ries: Quartet in D minor
- Rossini: Sonata Nr. 1 in G Major
- Copland’s 3rd Symphony
- Zdenek Fibich: Poem Op. 41, No.4 from “At Twilight”
- Kuhlau: Sonatine No.1 in C Major, Op. 20
- Beethoven 33 Variations on a Waltz by Anton Diabelli Op 120, Gavin Arturo Gamboa, piano
- Philip Glass: American Four Seasons with violinist Robert McDuffie
- Elgar’s “Nimrod”: Daniel Barenboim with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, 1997
- Valentina Lisitsa plays Liszt’s Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2
- Ravel : Piano Concerto in G major (Martha Argerich : Orchestre national de France)
- Schubert: Piano Sonata No.20 D.959 / Paul Badura-Skoda (1993)
- Antonio Vivaldi’s “Vedro con mio diletto” from Il Giustino by Jakub Józef Orliński
- Bill Evans Trio: Some Day My Prince Will Come (1965)
Leave a Reply