Today: Partly cloudy. Highs around 90. South winds 5 mph shifting to the east in the afternoon. Tonight: Mostly clear in the evening, then partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers after midnight. Lows around 70. Northeast winds 5 mph. Details here.
Today’s document from the National Archives and the Astronomy Picture of the Day.
Today’s tides: at the beaches, at the Intracoastal Waterway.
Drought Index: 262
The OED’s Word of the Day: cheer-upping, adj..
The Live Community Calendar
Today’s jail bookings.
Today’s Briefing: Quick Links
- First Light
- In Flagler and Palm Coast
- Flagler Jail Bookings and Last 24 Hours of Incident Reports
- In State Government
- In Coming Days in Flagler, Palm Coast and Beyond
- Fact-Checking the Knaves
- Palm Coast Construction and Development
- Local Road and Interstate Construction
- Cultural Coda
Note: all government meetings noticed below are free and open to the public unless otherwise indicated. Many can be heard or seen live through each agency’s website.
The Sheriff’s daily incident reports and jail bookings are posted here.
Today is a teacher work day in Flagler County schools. No school for students.
In Court: A jury trial enters its third day in the case of Jonathan Canales, who faces an attempted first-degree murder charge. He is accused of shooting his now-29-year-old ex-girlfriend in the neck in their Mondex trailer four years ago as the victim’s three children slept nearby. Canales has pleaded innocence, claiming Tiffany Norman shot herself. The trial begins with jury selection before Circuit Judge Terence Perkins in Courtroom 401 at 9 a.m. at the Flagler County courthouse. Assistant State Attorney Melissa Clark is prosecuting the case, Garry Wood is defending Canales. See background here. (2014CF000956)
The Flagler County Technical Review Committee meets at 9 a.m. in the First Floor Conference Room of the Government Services Building, Bunnell.
The Tourist Development Council meets at 10 a.m. in board chambers at Government Services Building, Bunnell.
The Flagler County Contractor Review Board meets at 5 p.m. in board chambers at the Government Services Building, Bunnell.
The Palm Coast Planning Board meets at 5:30 p.m. at City Hall in Town Center. It will hear a request for a site-plan approval for the Palms at Town Center apartment complex planned for Town Center between Epic Theatres and FPC. The board will also hear a presentation on the Sunshine law, which board members must follow. See background on the 88-unit Palms apartment complex here, and site-plan documentation here.
The Chamber of Commerce’s Fearless and Focused Women in Business Luncheon features Sara Hale, Managing Partner & Co-Founder, Coastal Cloud, Chelsea Barney Herbert, President, 4Cs Construction, and Cindy Kiel Evans, Co-Owner & Team Leader, Jeff Evans State Farm Agencies Flagler & Volusia Counties, Hilton Garden Inn, 55 Town Center Boulevard, Palm Coast, 11:30 a.m. Members: With advanced registration, $35. No walkups accepted. Non-Members: With advanced registration, $45. No walkups accepted. Call Heather Edwards, 386-206-0952.
The Flagler Beach Economic Development Task Force meets at 4 p.m. at City Hall, 105 S 2nd St.
Florida Hospital Flagler Wellness Screening, 9-11 a.m. at Palm Coast Community Center, 305 Palm Coast Pkwy. NE. Florida Hospital Flagler, our official Health & Wellness event partner, is offering FREE monthly health screenings. Each screening will focus on a specific area of health. This month: blood pressure. Free but please register at www.parksandrec.fun/wellness. More info: 386-986-2323.
Blood Donations: The Big Red Bus will be at the following locations this week (schedule your donation by going to the website and entering a Palm Coast zip code, then locating one of the venues below):
- Wednesday: CVS Pharmacy, 5151 Belle Terre Parkway, Palm Coast, 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Wednesday: Fitness One, 250 Old Kings Road South, Flagler Beach, 2:30 to 5:30 p.m.
- Thursday: Chick Fil A, 1000 Palm Coast Parkway, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Friday: Rue & Ziffra, 4879 Palm Coast Parkway, #1, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Saturday: Epic Theaters, 1185 Central Avenue, Palm Coast, 1 to 6 p.m.
Jail Bookings and Last 24 Hours' Incidents in Flagler, Palm Coast, Flagler Beach, Bunnell
|Jail Bookings, June 19-22|
Sheriff's night shift incident reports, June 21
Sheriff's day shift incident reports, June 21
Flagler Beach's night shift incident reports, June 21
Flagler Beach's day shift incident reports, June 21
Bunnell police's night shift incident reports, June 21
Bunnell police's day shift incident reports, June 21
DESANTIS, GILLUM SQUARE OFF: Republican gubernatorial candidate Ron DeSantis and Democratic nominee Andrew Gillum will hold their first debate in Orlando. The debate will be hosted by Telemundo 31 in Orlando. (Tuesday, debate taped at noon, with air time and live stream at 7 p.m., Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts, Alexis & Jim Pugh Theater, 445 South Magnolia Ave., Orlando. The debate will be broadcast on Telemundo stations and can be streamed at Telemundo31.com, Telemundo51.com and Telemundo49.com.)
—-Compiled by the News Service of Florida and FlaglerLive
To include your event in this section, please fill out this form.
Keep Up with Donald Trump’s attacks on the press through the ACLU’s running tab here.
Keep Up with mass shootings in a running database here.
Here’s a summary of the latest city developments as of Oct. 11, 2018, with a link to the full week in review here.
Beethoven Concerto for Violin and Orchestra, Hilary Hahn, violin
- Händel: Keyboard Suite HWV 428, Daria van den Bercken, piano
- Aznavour: Full Concert from the Palais des Congrès de Paris, 1996
- Hilary Hahn Plays Brahms’s Violin Concerto, Cond. Paavo Jarvi
- Hilary Hahn Plays the Presto from Bach’s Violin Sonata Nr. 1
- LP: Lost On You
- Final Fantasy X: To Zanarkand
- 2 Cellos: Thunderstruck
- Igor Stravinsky : Le Sacre du Printemps, Orchestre philharmonique de Radio France, Mikko Franck
- Giuseppe Tartini: Violin concerto in D minor
- Víkingur Ólafsson: Philip Glass, Étude No. 5
- Ignaz Brüll: Sonata for Pianoforte, op. 73, 1st Mvt.
- Mozart: Clarinet Concerto in A major, K.622, Iceland Symphony Orchestra
- Couperin, Second Concert from ‘Concerts Royaux’
- Covering the New Wars: A Conversation with C.J. Chivers
- Erroll Garner: Where or When (1962)
- Joaquín Rodrigo’s Concierto de Aranjuez, Performed by Pepe Romero
- Rimsky-Korsakov’s Scheherazade, Vienna Philharmonic (Salzburg Festival 2005)
- Barenboim & Argerich : Mozart Sonata for Two Pianos, K.448