Today: Mostly cloudy. Chance of showers and slight chance of thunderstorms in the morning, then chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 80s inland… In the mid 80s coast. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent. Tonight: Mostly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after midnight. Lows in the mid 70s. East winds 5 to 10 mph. Details here.
Drought Index is at 40.
Today’s tides: at the beaches, at the Intracoastal Waterway.
Today’s document from the National Archives.
The OED’s Word of the Day: pismire, n..
The Live Community Calendar
Today’s jail bookings.
Today’s Briefing: Quick Links
- First Light
- In Flagler and Palm Coast
- Flagler Jail Bookings and Sheriff’s Crime Reports
- In State Government
- In Coming Days in Flagler, Palm Coast and Beyond
- The Day’s Best Reads
- Fact-Checking the Knaves
- Palm Coast Construction and Development
- Local Road and Interstate Construction
- Cultural Coda
Note: all government meetings noticed below are free and open to the public unless otherwise indicated. Many can be heard or seen live through each agency’s website.
The Sheriff’s daily incident reports and jail bookings are posted here.
trong>The Flagler County Economic Opportunity Advisory Board meets at 9 a.m. in board chambers, Government Services Building, Bunnell. Michael Zaharios, Program Director of the Florida Virtual Entrepreneur Center, will be presenting.
The Flagler County Parks and Recreation Advisory Board meets at 10 a.m. in the First Floor Conference Room, 1769 E. Moody Blvd., Bldg. 2, Bunnell.
A domestic violence summit is scheduled for 2 p.m. at the Hilton Garden Inn. The summit is being convened by Sheriff Rick Staly to drive a community-wide effort to combat domestic violence. The June 28 summit is designed as as starting point for a task force to come up with a set of recommendations in a few months that may be implemented community-wide. Details of the initiative here.
John Subers Speaks to the Young Professional Group: Join the YPG for a lunch at Florida Hospital Flagler. Subers, East Florida Executive Director and Chief Development Officer of the Florida Hospital Flagler Foundation will speak with the group regarding the art of networking and the importance of professional relationships. Florida Hospital Flagler
60 Memorial Medical Parkway, Classroom A, Palm Coast. Free for YPG Members and $10 for guests, includes lunch.
Compassionate Friends meet at the Flagler County Public Library in Palm Coast, starting at 5:30 p.m. The Compassionate Friends, a nonprofit self-help bereavement support organization for families that have experienced the death of a child. The meeting is open to all parents, grandparents, and siblings over age 18 who has suffered the loss of a child of any age. For more information, call John Brady at 610-428-3139. To learn more about The Compassionate Friends, visit their national website at www.compassionatefriends.org.
New Voting Precincts and Precinct Boundaries in Flagler-Palm Coast
From Elections Supervisor Kaiti Lenhart: In preparation for upcoming election cycles, new precinct boundaries have been approved to accommodate areas of growth in the county. Several voting locations have been impacted. Proposed changes to Flagler County precinct boundaries were presented to the Board of County Commissioners during their public workshop held on May 15, 2017. Two additional precincts were created and the boundaries of several other precincts were adjusted to shift voters from very heavily populated areas. The proposed changes were adopted during the regular meeting of the Board of County Commissioners on June 19, 2017. Affected voters can expect to receive a new Voter Information Card by the end of July 2017. For more information, please call (386) 313-4170. View the new precinct map and related information.
Ayala-Scott fight goes to the Supreme Court: The Florida Supreme Court will hear arguments in a battle about whether Gov. Rick Scott had the legal authority to transfer death-penalty cases from Orlando-area State Attorney Aramis Ayala to another prosecutor. Scott shifted the cases to Ocala-area State Attorney Brad King after Ayala said she would not seek death sentences, including in the case of alleged Orlando cop killer Markeith Loyd. Ayala, who was elected last year in the circuit made up of Orange and Osceola counties, challenged Scott in the Supreme Court, arguing she has broad legal discretion in decisions about issues such as whether to pursue death sentences. (9 a.m., Florida Supreme Court, 500 South Duval St., Tallahassee.)
Parole: The Florida Commission on Offender Review will start two days of meetings in Brevard County and discuss numerous parole cases related to crimes committed in the 1970s and 1980s. Parole was abolished in the mid-1990s in Florida. (9 a.m., Melbourne Probation and Parole Office, 1500 West Eau Gallie Blvd., Melbourne.)
The College of Central Florida Board of Trustees is scheduled to meet after holding a workshop. (Workshop at 1:30 p.m., with board meeting at 3 p.m., College of Central Florida, Founders Hall, 3001 S.W. College Road, Ocala.)
Deepwater Horizon: The Gulf Consortium Board of Directors, which works on issues related to the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, will meet in conjunction with an annual conference of the Florida Association of Counties. (2 p.m., Palm Beach County Convention Center, 650 Okeechobee Blvd., West Palm Beach.)
State colleges: The Association of Florida Colleges Board of Directors is scheduled to meet in Marion County. (4 p.m., College of Central Florida, 3001 S.W. College Road, Ocala.)
To include your event in this section, please fill out this form.
— PublicAffairs (@public_affairs) June 27, 2017
— New Statesman (@NewStatesman) June 27, 2017
— Orlando Sentinel (@orlandosentinel) June 27, 2017
Playgirl's untold story https://t.co/VvrzdgfnpH
— Arts & Letters Daily (@aldaily) June 27, 2017
Robert Oppenheimer's career ended long after the bang, with a whimper https://t.co/8GxxoOod6O
— Smithsonian Magazine (@SmithsonianMag) June 27, 2017
How the Enlightenment's sensory awakening reached its apex during a French craze for garments the color of baby poop https://t.co/j3YejrCSff
— Arts & Letters Daily (@aldaily) June 26, 2017
The following is an update of ongoing permitting, construction and development projects in Palm Coast, through June 24 (the city administration’s full week in review is here):
Joachim Horsley’s “Beethoven in Havana”: What the Piano Can Do
- Bojan Cicic and Richard Egarr: Giovanni Carbonelli’s Violin Sonata No. 1
- Voyager: The 116 images NASA wants aliens to see
- Bohemian Rhapsody: Brooklyn Duo and Ft. Dover Quartet
- Down in the River to Pray: University of Texas Tuba/Euphonium Studio
- Brahms : Piano Quartet No. 1 in G minor, op. 25
- The Reluctant Fundamentalist: Mohsin Hamid in Conversation with Akhil Sharma
- “The Day After” (1983)
- Rui Arayama Performs Domenico Scarlatti’s Sonatas K.427 & K.455
- Villa-Lobos: Bachianas Brasileiras
- Angelina Jordan, 10 Years Old Norwegian, Sings the Blues: I Put A Spell On You
- Joseph Bodin de Boismortier (1689-1755), Concerto in B Minor for five Recorders Op. 15 Nr. 4, Abateva
- Introduction to Bullshit
- Chopin: 24 Etudes for Piano Op.10 , Op 25, Lukas Genjušas, Piano
- Alike: The Best Short Film Ever
- Fauré’s Requiem, Performed by the Ensemble Orchestral de Paris, Choeur Accentus
- Arthur Rubinstein Performs Saint-Saëns’s Piano Concerto No 2 in G minor, Op 22
- Mendelssohn’s Symphony No. 5, Reformation: Jérémie Rhorer Conducts the Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra
- C.P.E. Bach Keyboard Sonata in F sharp minor, Wq 52 4
- Boccherini: Quintet with Guitar G 448 D-Major
- Jean-Baptiste Poyard Performs Telemann’s Violin Fantasia n°1
- Eudora Welty Reads “A Worn Path”
- Francis Poulenc at the piano
- Antonin Dvořák: Romance for Violin and Orchestra performed by Tanja Sonc
- Joseph Haydn’s Symphony Nr. 66 in F major, Herbert Blomstedt, cond.
- Sarah Chang Plays Elgar’s Damn Romantic Salut d’amour, Op. 12
- Beethoven: Symphony No. 7, Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Iván Fischer, cond.
- Rimsky-Korsakov, Russian Easter Festival Overture, Op. 36
- Händel: Keyboard Suite HWV 428, Daria van den Bercken, piano
- Haydn: Piano Trio No. 39 in G major Hob. XV/25
- Mozart: Ave Verum Corpus, Leonard Bernstein
- What is McCarthyism? And how did it happen?
- The Corrs: Toss the Feathers
- Peter Falk’s Acceptance Speech for 1972 Emmy, for Colombo
- How Did Beethoven Compose His 9th Symphony After He Went Completely Deaf?
- Ray Chen Performs Mendelssohn’s Violin Concerto in E minor, Op. 64
- The Well Tempered Clavier, Book 1,HJ Lim, Piano
- Alicia de Larrocha plays Two Spanish Dances By Granados
- Comparone Plays a Scarlatti Sonata
- C. A. de Beriot, scene de Ballet, Daniel Shindarov, violin, Sergey Silvanskiy, piano
- Johnny Cash: Sunday Morning Coming Down
- Cinema Paradiso: The Main Theme