Today: Sunny. Highs in the mid 60s inland…in the lower 60s coast. North winds 5 to 10 mph. Tonight: Clear. Lows in the lower 40s. West winds 5 to 10 mph. Details here.
Today’s document from the National Archives and the Astronomy Picture of the Day.
Today’s tides: at the beaches, at the Intracoastal Waterway.
The OED’s Word of the Day: exoplanet, n..
The Live Community Calendar
Today’s jail bookings.
Today’s Briefing: Quick Links
- First Light
- In Flagler and Palm Coast
- Flagler Jail Bookings and Last 24 Hours of Incident Reports
- In State Government
- In Coming Days in Flagler, Palm Coast and Beyond
- The Day’s Best Reads
- Editor’s Tweets
- Fact-Checking the Knaves
- Palm Coast Construction and Development
- Local Road and Interstate Construction
- Cultural Coda
Note: all government meetings noticed below are free and open to the public unless otherwise indicated. Many can be heard or seen live through each agency’s website.
The Sheriff’s daily incident reports and jail bookings are posted here.
It’s spring break all week, and it shows: schools are all closed, so is criminal court, as it looks like Flagler’s felony judge is taking the week off.
The Palm Coast City Council is in workshop at 9 a.m. at City Hall at Town Center. The council will hear a “progress report” from the administration, with little else of note on the agenda.
Free Army Field Band Concert at the Flagler Auditorium, 7:30 p.m. Limit of two tickets per person, tickets to be released Jan. 7 at 1 p.m. First come, first served. Tickets must be picked up at the Flagler Auditorium Box Office. No phone orders please.
The St. Johns River Water Management District Governing Board will meet after holding committee meetings. Committee meetings start at 9:30 a.m., with full board at 11 a.m., district headquarters, 4049 Reid St., Palatka.
The National Guard Bureau is preparing an Environmental Impact Statement as required by the National Environmental Policy Act to evaluate the potential environmental consequences from the proposed beddown of 18 F-35A aircraft at two of five alternative locations. The alternative locations include Jacksonville, though The Secretary of the Air Force has identified Truax Field, Wisconsin, and Dannelly Field, Alabama, as the two preferred alternatives, pending the results of the statement. The National Guard holds a public meeting where the public can learn about the proposal, talk to guard representatives, and provide written comments, concerns, or input regarding the proposal. The meeting will be held at the DoubleTree Hotel, Jacksonville Airport, Aviation Ballroom, 2101 Dixie Clipper Drive in Jacksonville 5 to 8 p.m.
Blood Donations: The Big Red Bus will be at the following locations this week:
- Tuesday: Epic Theater, Town Center, Palm Coast, from 1 to 6 p.m.
- Wednesday: H&R Block, 2400 East Moody Boulevard (SR100), Bunnell, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Wednesday: CVS Pharmacy at 2301 West Moody Boulevard (SR100), Flagler Beach, from 3 to 6 p.m.
- Thursday: Walmart, 174 Cypress Point Parkway, Palm Coast, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Saturday: Bealls at 1210 Palm Coast Parkway, from 11:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Jail Bookings and Last 24 Hours' Incidents in Flagler, Palm Coast, Flagler Beach, Bunnell
|Jail Bookings, June 19-22|
Sheriff's night shift incident reports, June 21
Sheriff's day shift incident reports, June 21
Flagler Beach's night shift incident reports, June 21
Flagler Beach's day shift incident reports, June 21
Bunnell police's night shift incident reports, June 21
Bunnell police's day shift incident reports, June 21
Flagler Beach government needs volunteer residents to serve on various boards and committees. Applications must be obtained from City Hall, 105 south second street, Flagler Beach, or on the city web site: www.Cityofflaglerbeach.Com. Here are the openings:
Economic Development Task Force – 1 Vacancy for a Citizen
This Committee is scheduled to meet monthly
Investment Committee – 1 Vacancy for an Attorney
This Committee is scheduled to meet quarterly.
Personnel Advisory Review Board – 1 Vacancy
This Committee rarely meets but is required by our Code of Ordinance in the event an employee has a grievance and wishes to appeal disciplinary action.
Additional information, contact City Clerk Penny Overstreet, (386)-517-2000 EXT 233
ELECTIONS COMMISSION MEETS: The Florida Elections Commission is expected to take up numerous cases from across the state. (Tuesday, 8:30 a.m., Florida State University, Augustus B. Turnbull III Florida State Conference Center, 555 West Pensacola St., Tallahassee.)
CONSTITUTION PANEL HOLDS HEARING: The Florida Constitution Revision Commission, which will put proposed constitutional amendments on the November ballot, will hold a public hearing in Pinellas County. (Tuesday, 1 p.m., University of South Florida St. Petersburg, University Student Center, 200 Sixth Ave. South, St. Petersburg.)
LEWANDOWSKI, BOSSIE IN PALM BEACH: Corey Lewandowski, a former campaign manager for President Donald Trump, and David Bossie, a former deputy campaign manager, will appear at a Palm Beach Republican Club lecture and book-signing event. (Tuesday, 6:15 p.m., The Colony Hotel Pavilion, 155 Hammon Ave., Palm Beach.)
—-Compiled by the News Service of Florida and FlaglerLive
To include your event in this section, please fill out this form.
Trump prepares to release his Middle East peace plan: No two-state solution, no right of return https://t.co/jRPm582DBi
— Daily Kos (@dailykos) March 13, 2018
Donald Trump Is Just Another N.R.A. Patsy, but He Can’t Stop the “Never Again” Movement https://t.co/WBuoUdDtVF
— John Cassidy (@JohnCassidy) March 13, 2018
— Brookings (@BrookingsInst) March 13, 2018
16 teachers in Texas spent their Saturday training on how to handle a gun in the event of an active shooter situation. “We do our best to have security at our schools, but you never know what’s gonna happen.” https://t.co/gUlZTSTq0y pic.twitter.com/kMVM7uOxXs
— ABC News (@ABC) March 13, 2018
— Los Angeles Times (@latimes) March 13, 2018
Keep Up with Donald Trump’s attacks on the press through the ACLU’s running tab here.
Keep Up with mass shootings in a running database here.
Here’s a summary of the latest city developments as of March 9, 2018, with a link to the full week in review here.
Andras Schiff Plays Bach’s Complete Well Tempered Clavier, Book One
As March is Johann Sebastian Bach Month, or ought to be (he was born the first day of spring in 1685), we’re celebrating the great German composer all months with videos about him, his music and his life.
- Andras Schiff Plays Bach’s Complete English Suites
- Keith Jarrett, Late Solo
- Jacqueline du Pré Perform’s Dvořák Cello Concerto With the LSO and Daniel Barenboim
- Beethoven’s Triple Concerto, with Yo-Yo Ma, Itzhak Perlman and Daniel Barenboim
- Albert Camus’ “The Human Crisis”
- Swinging Bach
- Keith Jarrett Standards Trio
- Anoushka Shankar Ensemble
- Jacques Loussier Play Bach Trio: a 2007 Concert
- Abdel Rahman el Bacha Plays Two Nocturnes by Chopin
- Edith Mathis’s Creations
- Sheku Kanneh-Mason: No Woman No Cry, Cello Version
- Viotti’s Violin Concerto No 23 in G Major, Performed by Jennifer Jeon
- Bruckner’s Symphony Nr. 7 at the Lucerne Frestival
- Beethoven’s 5th Symphony in the style of Chopin: Syd R Duke
- Nikolai Kapustin performing Prelude, op. 53, no. 11
- Ray Chen, Sarabande from Bach’s Partita No. 2 in D minor
- It’s A Small World: Ken Kubota and Friends
- Maria Callas: The Mike Wallace Interview
- Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach – Oboe Concerto in B flat major, Wq 164
- The Cranberries: Linger
- Martha Argerich Performs Liszt’s Piano Concerto No 1 in E flat major
- Vivaldi’s Winter in a Wintry Performance By Milan Řehák
- Bach: Musical Offering BWV 1079, Concert des Nations Jordi Savall
- Bach: Sonata for Gamba and Harpsichord in G minor, BWV 1029
- Claude Debussy, La fille aux cheveux de lin, from Préludes
- Bach’s Complete Christmas Oratorio BWV 248, Gardiner, Monteverdi Choir & Bach Soloists
- Angels in Heaven: Chris Rodrigues and the Spoon Lady
- Hindemith: Der Schwanendreher
- Brendel Performs Schubert’s A Major Sonata No. 22, D. 959
- The New York Philharmonic in a 2016 Performance of Dvorak’s New World Symphony
- Alexander Gavrylyuk Plays Bach İtalian Concerto