Today: Mostly cloudy. Chance of showers and slight chance of thunderstorms in the morning, then chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 80s. East winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent. Tonight: Mostly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening. Lows in the lower 70s. East winds 5 to 10 mph.Details here.Drought Index is at 151.
Today’s tides: at the beaches, at the Intracoastal Waterway.
Today’s document from the National Archives.
The OED’s Word of the Day: rumfustian, n. (and adj.).
The Live Community Calendar
Today’s jail bookings.
Today’s Briefing: Quick Links
- First Light
- In Flagler and Palm Coast
- Flagler Jail Bookings and Sheriff’s Crime Reports
- In State Government
- In Coming Days in Flagler, Palm Coast and Beyond
- The Day’s Best Reads
- Fact-Checking the Knaves
- Palm Coast Construction and Development
- Local Road and Interstate Construction
- Cultural Coda
Note: all government meetings noticed below are free and open to the public unless otherwise indicated. Many can be heard or seen live through each agency’s website.
The Sheriff’s daily incident reports and jail bookings are posted here.
The Flagler County Commission meets in workshop as part of its budget review. Commissioners will discuss software replacement for the sheriff’s office, among other items. At the Emergency Operations Center, Building 3, 1769 E. Moody Blvd., Bunnell.
The Flagler County Library Board of Trustees meets at the Doug Ciscney Room at the public library on Palm Coast Parkway at 4:30 p.m.
The Bunnell City Commission meets at 7 p.m. Commissioners are expected to approve an agreement with Palm Coast for traffic signal repairs and maintenance.
Pulse massacre anniversary: Today marks the first anniversary of the mass shooting at Orlando’s Pulse nightclub, a gay club attacked by Omar Mateen, a Port St. Lucie security guard vaguely inspired by ISIS, in what turned out to be the deadliest mass hooting against LGTB people in the county’s history. His ties to ISIS were vague as the CIA’s investigation of Mateen revealed no contacts between him and ISIS nor travel. The shooting began after 2 a.m. SunRail is adding extra service tonight to accommodate those attending the anniversary events, including the Pulse remembrance ceremony at Lake Eola Park. This is an addition to the regularly scheduled trains, which may also offer options to those traveling to and from the downtown Orlando area. SunRail will run additional service out of Church Street station at 9:47 p.m. heading southbound, and at 10:15 p.m. heading northbound from Sand Lake Road station.
The St. Johns River Water Management District Governing Board, which has jurisdiction over Flagler County, will hold a workshop to discuss development of a 2017-2018 budget at 3 p.m., district headquarters, 4049 Reid St., Palatka.
CAMPAIGN FINANCE REPORTS DUE: State candidates and political committees face a Monday deadline for filing reports detailing campaign-finance activity through May 31.
To include your event in this section, please fill out this form.
On cable news, treating important policy issues like an episode of House of Cards makes for TV. But it's horrible for viewers. pic.twitter.com/P6BWqu9DBU
— Vox (@voxdotcom) June 10, 2017
J. K. Rowling, Barack Obama, the list goes on. Prominent liberals all opposed Jeremy Corbyn — and it didn’t matter. https://t.co/1e5r1DbXed
— Jacobin (@jacobinmag) June 9, 2017
— Pew Research Center (@pewresearch) June 9, 2017
Reza Aslan becomes the second CNN personality dumped after attacking Trump https://t.co/18e7pIRGpx
— The Washington Post (@washingtonpost) June 10, 2017
— Reza Aslan (@rezaaslan) June 9, 2017
— Literary Hub (@lithub) June 10, 2017
The following is an update of ongoing permitting, construction and development projects in Palm Coast, through June 8 (the city administration’s full week in review is here):
“The Day After” (1983)
- Rui Arayama Performs Domenico Scarlatti’s Sonatas K.427 & K.455
- Villa-Lobos: Bachianas Brasileiras
- Angelina Jordan, 10 Years Old Norwegian, Sings the Blues: I Put A Spell On You
- Joseph Bodin de Boismortier (1689-1755), Concerto in B Minor for five Recorders Op. 15 Nr. 4, Abateva
- Introduction to Bullshit
- Chopin: 24 Etudes for Piano Op.10 , Op 25, Lukas Genjušas, Piano
- Alike: The Best Short Film Ever
- Fauré’s Requiem, Performed by the Ensemble Orchestral de Paris, Choeur Accentus
- Arthur Rubinstein Performs Saint-Saëns’s Piano Concerto No 2 in G minor, Op 22
- Mendelssohn’s Symphony No. 5, Reformation: Jérémie Rhorer Conducts the Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra
- C.P.E. Bach Keyboard Sonata in F sharp minor, Wq 52 4
- Boccherini: Quintet with Guitar G 448 D-Major
- Jean-Baptiste Poyard Performs Telemann’s Violin Fantasia n°1
- Eudora Welty Reads “A Worn Path”
- Francis Poulenc at the piano
- Antonin Dvořák: Romance for Violin and Orchestra performed by Tanja Sonc
- Joseph Haydn’s Symphony Nr. 66 in F major, Herbert Blomstedt, cond.
- Sarah Chang Plays Elgar’s Damn Romantic Salut d’amour, Op. 12
- Beethoven: Symphony No. 7, Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Iván Fischer, cond.
- Rimsky-Korsakov, Russian Easter Festival Overture, Op. 36
- Händel: Keyboard Suite HWV 428, Daria van den Bercken, piano
- Haydn: Piano Trio No. 39 in G major Hob. XV/25
- Mozart: Ave Verum Corpus, Leonard Bernstein
- What is McCarthyism? And how did it happen?
- The Corrs: Toss the Feathers
- Peter Falk’s Acceptance Speech for 1972 Emmy, for Colombo
- How Did Beethoven Compose His 9th Symphony After He Went Completely Deaf?
- Ray Chen Performs Mendelssohn’s Violin Concerto in E minor, Op. 64
- The Well Tempered Clavier, Book 1,HJ Lim, Piano
- Alicia de Larrocha plays Two Spanish Dances By Granados
- Comparone Plays a Scarlatti Sonata
- C. A. de Beriot, scene de Ballet, Daniel Shindarov, violin, Sergey Silvanskiy, piano
- Johnny Cash: Sunday Morning Coming Down
- Cinema Paradiso: The Main Theme
- Duke Ellington’s Take the A Train
- The Temptations and the Four Tops in a Motown Medley
- Sheku Kanneh-Mason Performs Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah,” Arranged By Tom Hodge
- Alessandro Marcello’s Oboe Concerto
- Isaac Albéniz, Suite Iberia, Félix Ardanaz, piano
- Johannes Ockeghem: Ave Maria