Today: Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the mid 80s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph. Tonight: Mostly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after midnight. Lows in the mid 70s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Details here.
Drought Index is at 78.
Today’s tides: at the beaches, at the Intracoastal Waterway.
Today’s document from the National Archives.
The OED’s Word of the Day: Phillis, n..
The Live Community Calendar
Today’s jail bookings.
Today’s Briefing: Quick Links
- First Light
- In Flagler and Palm Coast
- Flagler Jail Bookings and Sheriff’s Crime Reports
- In State Government
- In Coming Days in Flagler, Palm Coast and Beyond
- The Day’s Best Reads
- Fact-Checking the Knaves
- Palm Coast Construction and Development
- Local Road and Interstate Construction
- Cultural Coda
–The Gore Vidal-William Buckley Jr. confrontation took place on ABC TV during the 19868 Democratic National Convention in Chicago.
Note: all government meetings noticed below are free and open to the public unless otherwise indicated. Many can be heard or seen live through each agency’s website.
The Sheriff’s daily incident reports and jail bookings are posted here.
The Flagler County Commission meets at 5 p.m. in board chambers at the Government Services Building, Bunnell. Commissioners will hear a presentation on the Guardian Ad-Litem program, which provides advocacy for children in the court system. Commissioners are expected to approve new voting precinct boundaries, which will affect only a handful of precincts and add two new ones. Commissioners are also expected to accept a $5.4 million grant from the Department of Environmental Protection for beach repairs, and to buy 25.5 acres for $575.000 for a future wet-side fire station. Commissioners will consider extending the moratorium on medical marijuana businesses for 90 days, to mid-September.
In Florida and in State Government:
Note: Some proceedings below can be followed live on the Florida Channel. Most legislative proceedings can be followed through the Senate or House websites.
A two-day qualifying period will start in the special election to replace former state Rep. Eric Eisnaugle, R-Orlando, in Orange County’s House District 44. Eisnaugle resigned to become a judge on the 5th District Court of Appeal. A special primary election will be held Aug. 15, with the special general election on Oct. 10. (8 a.m.)
Public-school enrollment: The Education Estimating Conference will discuss issues related to public-school enrollment and capital outlay. (10 a.m., 117 Knott Building, the Capitol.)
Committees of the Citizens Property Insurance Board of Governors will hold a series of meetings in advance of a board meeting Tuesday. (11 a.m., Sheraton Orlando North, 600 North Lake Destiny Dr., Maitland.)
Debate: The Women’s Republican Club of Miami, Federated will host a debate for GOP candidates in the special election to replace former Sen Frank Artiles in Miami-Dade County’s Senate District 40. Republican candidates are former state Rep. Jose Felix Diaz, former Sen. Alex Diaz de la Portilla and attorney Lorenzo Palomares. (6:30 p.m., Miami Dade College, Kendall Campus, Building R, 11011 S.W. 104th St., Miami.)
In Coming Days in Palm Coast, Flagler and the Occasional Beyond:
To include your event in this section, please fill out this form.
The ultimate superheroes of research: Librarians of the 21st century. https://t.co/4Z8rGsB56p pic.twitter.com/fs1jrycu5u
— Literary Hub (@lithub) June 15, 2017
Trump called Qatar a terror sponsor. He sold them fighter jets 5 days later. https://t.co/EsINdemlob pic.twitter.com/XEWOCnB6Cx
— Vox (@voxdotcom) June 16, 2017
His books are about how we got to where we are: What would Kurt Vonnegut think of Donald Trump? https://t.co/tSJ74t1w1u pic.twitter.com/lStdLndB7Q
— Literary Hub (@lithub) June 15, 2017
Want to know why non-competes are bad for newsrooms?
One journalist told us her sad story: https://t.co/hfycvN87k2 pic.twitter.com/t3vPivvsVL
— CJR (@CJR) June 16, 2017
Oregon becomes first state to offer third-gender driver’s licenses https://t.co/FPrHFg0TvT
— Salon (@Salon) June 16, 2017
Palm Coast Construction and Development Progress Reports
The following is an update of ongoing permitting, construction and development projects in Palm Coast, through June 8 (the city administration’s full week in review is here):
Click to access week-in-review-projects-june8-20171.pdf
Road and Interstate Construction:
From WQXR in New York: ““Down in the River to Pray” is a fantastic song. Maybe you know it from Alison Krauss’ beautiful rendition in 2000’s O Brother Where Art Thou, a film that also boasts one of the greatest soundtracks of all time.) It’s a simple melody, and its calming lyrics act as a balm for the soul. That serenity translates pretty well to baritone and bass brass, as the The University of Texas Tuba/Euphonium Studio demonstrates in the featured video. Many orchestra’s don’t typically need a combination of 11 tubas and euphoniums — let alone to carry the melody — so we’re very happy to see them take center stage. Not much is known about the history of this song. In 1867’s Slave Songs of the United States, an early effort to compile the spirituals and work songs of the country’s recently emancipated population, “Down in the River” (titled “The Good Old Way”) is classified as a song of the “Inland Slave States” (Tennessee, Arkansas, and the Mississippi River). It’s also attributed to a certain George H. Allan. However, Allan was almost certainly not the composer. Like many folk tune compilations, the contribution here is most likely the work of a transcriber who simply wrote down what they heard.”
Down in the River to Pray: University of Texas Tuba/Euphonium Studio
- Brahms : Piano Quartet No. 1 in G minor, op. 25
- The Reluctant Fundamentalist: Mohsin Hamid in Conversation with Akhil Sharma
- “The Day After” (1983)
- Rui Arayama Performs Domenico Scarlatti’s Sonatas K.427 & K.455
- Villa-Lobos: Bachianas Brasileiras
- Angelina Jordan, 10 Years Old Norwegian, Sings the Blues: I Put A Spell On You
- Joseph Bodin de Boismortier (1689-1755), Concerto in B Minor for five Recorders Op. 15 Nr. 4, Abateva
- Introduction to Bullshit
- Chopin: 24 Etudes for Piano Op.10 , Op 25, Lukas Genjušas, Piano
- Alike: The Best Short Film Ever
- Fauré’s Requiem, Performed by the Ensemble Orchestral de Paris, Choeur Accentus
- Arthur Rubinstein Performs Saint-Saëns’s Piano Concerto No 2 in G minor, Op 22
- Mendelssohn’s Symphony No. 5, Reformation: Jérémie Rhorer Conducts the Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra
- C.P.E. Bach Keyboard Sonata in F sharp minor, Wq 52 4
- Boccherini: Quintet with Guitar G 448 D-Major
- Jean-Baptiste Poyard Performs Telemann’s Violin Fantasia n°1
- Eudora Welty Reads “A Worn Path”
- Francis Poulenc at the piano
- Antonin Dvořák: Romance for Violin and Orchestra performed by Tanja Sonc
- Joseph Haydn’s Symphony Nr. 66 in F major, Herbert Blomstedt, cond.
- Sarah Chang Plays Elgar’s Damn Romantic Salut d’amour, Op. 12
- Beethoven: Symphony No. 7, Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Iván Fischer, cond.
- Rimsky-Korsakov, Russian Easter Festival Overture, Op. 36
- Händel: Keyboard Suite HWV 428, Daria van den Bercken, piano
- Haydn: Piano Trio No. 39 in G major Hob. XV/25
- Mozart: Ave Verum Corpus, Leonard Bernstein
- What is McCarthyism? And how did it happen?
- The Corrs: Toss the Feathers
- Peter Falk’s Acceptance Speech for 1972 Emmy, for Colombo
- How Did Beethoven Compose His 9th Symphony After He Went Completely Deaf?
- Ray Chen Performs Mendelssohn’s Violin Concerto in E minor, Op. 64
- The Well Tempered Clavier, Book 1,HJ Lim, Piano
- Alicia de Larrocha plays Two Spanish Dances By Granados
- Comparone Plays a Scarlatti Sonata
- C. A. de Beriot, scene de Ballet, Daniel Shindarov, violin, Sergey Silvanskiy, piano
- Johnny Cash: Sunday Morning Coming Down
- Cinema Paradiso: The Main Theme
- Duke Ellington’s Take the A Train
- The Temptations and the Four Tops in a Motown Medley
- Sheku Kanneh-Mason Performs Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah,” Arranged By Tom Hodge
- Alessandro Marcello’s Oboe Concerto
- Isaac Albéniz, Suite Iberia, Félix Ardanaz, piano
- Johannes Ockeghem: Ave Maria
Toni Cuff says
I must admit that I’ve never thought of the tuba as being a relaxing instrument. Usually I don’t take the time to listen to an entire piece, however, today I thoroughly enjoyed listening to this in its entirety, and I am much more “chill” than I was five minutes ago. Thank you!
@ FL & Toni Cuff
Thanks FL – beautiful and wonderful. And Toni Cuff – your comment lead me back. Thank you.