Today: Mostly sunny in the morning then becoming partly cloudy. Highs around 90 inland in the mid 80s coast. East winds 5 to 10 mph. Tonight: Mostly clear. Lows in the lower 70s. East winds 5 to 10 mph. Details here.
Today’s fire danger is moderate. Flagler County’s Drought Index is at 149.
Today’s tides: at the beaches, at the Intracoastal Waterway.
Today’s document from the National Archives.
The OED’s Word of the Day: Mephistopheles, n..
The Live Community Calendar
Today’s jail bookings.
Today’s Briefing: Quick Links
- First Light
- In Flagler and Palm Coast
- Local Media Recap
- Flagler Jail Bookings and Sheriff’s Crime Reports
- In State Government
- In Coming Days in Flagler, Palm Coast and Beyond
- The Day’s Best Reads
- Fact-Checking the Knaves
- Palm Coast Construction and Development Progress Reports
- Local Road and Interstate Construction
- Cultural Coda
Note: all government meetings noticed below are free and open to the public unless otherwise indicated. Many can be heard or seen live through each agency’s website.
The Flagler Beach City Commission meets at 5:30 p.m. The commission will discuss repealing a long-time ordinance regulating “vehicles for hire,” now that taxi cabs are regulated through the city’s local business tax receipt process. Commissioners are also expected to approve agreements concerning the city’s police and firefighters’ pension plans.
Meeting of the Flagler school district‘s Strategic Plan Steering Committee, 5:30 to 7 p.m., Third Floor main conference or training room 3, Government Services Building, Bunnell. Open to the public.
Kick-off the 3rd Annual Flagler Restaurant Week at Marineland Dolphin Adventure. Event entry will include one complimentary drink, taste samples from participating restaurants, live DJ, raffles and a dolphin presentation. Foodies who attend the event will vote for their favorite “taste” at the event. Flagler Restaurant Week provides local food aficionados and regional visitors an opportunity to experience special dishes and discover new favorite restaurants throughout our county. Starting at 5:30 p.m. 9600 Oceanshore Blvd., St. Augustine.
Schools: Rymfire Elementary has an open house, Buddy Taylor Middle School hosts a curriculum night, both at 6:30 p.m.
Sports: in JV football, FPC meets Mainland High at FPC’s stadium, Matanzas meets Pine Ridge High at Pirate Stadium, both games at 6 p.m.
Note: Some proceedings below can be followed live on the Florida Channel.
–Compiled by the News Service of Florida and FlaglerLive
♦ Sept. 10: African Art: Ancient Egypt to the Contemporary World, a pair of presentations by Bertrand Green, former chairman of African American studies at Lehman College, City University of New York. The first session is from 10 a.m. to noon, the second session from 2 to 4 p.m., at the Hilton Garden Inn, Palm Coast. $20 for PCAF members, $25 for general admission. Call 386/225-4394 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your seat.
♦ Sept. 17-18: Staged Reading of Neil Simon’s “Chapter Two,” at the Flagler Auditorium’s Black Box Theatre, directed by Bruce Heighley, a volunteer production to benefit the auditorium’s the Arts in Education Scholarship Fund and Temple Beth Shalom. Performance times are 7 p.m. on Sept. 17, 2 p.m. on Sept. 18. Tickets: $29 for adults, $18 for students. Call the Flagler Auditorium, 437-7547, for tickets, or go to flaglerauditorium.org.
♦ Sept. 26: The Flagler County Stamp and Coin Club meets at 6 p.m. at the VFW Post 8696, 47 N. Old Kings Road, Palm Coast. The public is welcome.
♦ Feb. 6: The great violinist Itzhak Perlman opens the 2017 season of the Amelia Island Chamber Music Festival with a 7:30 p.m. performance at First Baptist Church, 1600 South 8th Street in Fernandina Beach. Tickets here.
— BBC News (World) (@BBCWorld) September 7, 2016
Tired of blanket discussions of The Media, so on our podcast I got into specifics about whose coverage I've admired: https://t.co/EEIard8Zm2
— Nate Silver (@NateSilver538) September 7, 2016
— CJR (@CJR) September 7, 2016
Hippocrates' theory linking pain and weather could be right, say scientistshttps://t.co/66zd4RIkiv
— The Telegraph (@Telegraph) September 7, 2016
2,300 year old secret passage found in Turkey https://t.co/HOlHfzsBaZ
— The Independent (@Independent) September 7, 2016
Fact-Checking the Knaves:
The following is an update of ongoing permitting, construction and development projects in Palm Coast, through August 26 (the city administration’s full week in review is here):
Haydn’s Symphony Nr. 104, Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra
- Su Meng: Paganini’s Caprice no 24 on Guitar
- Bobby McFerrin Demonstrates the Power of the Pentatonic Scale
- Brasil Guitar Duo: João Luiz e Douglas Lora
- Branford Marsalis: A Full Concert at the Newport Jazz Festival, 1999
- Bach Partita BWV 831 in B minor, Céline Frisch, Harpsichord
- Mozart: Piano concerto no. 27 in B flat major, K 595, Trevor Pinnock and Maria João Pires
- Eight Writers on Facing the Blank Page
- Artistic Statement
- Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique (Complete), Chicago Symphony Orchestra
- Sunflowers: Wynton Marsalis Septet at Jazz in Marciac 2010
- John Williams: Olympic Fanfare and Theme (1984)
- Dvořák’s American Quartet, Performed by Prazak Quartet
- Werner Herzog Narrates Pokémon Go
- Arthur Rubenstein Performs Brahms’s Piano Concerto in D Minor with the Concertgebouworkest Amsterdam
- The Last Bookstore
- Agustin Barrios: La Catedral, III
- Mabuhay Singers-Planting Rice-Magtanim Hindi Biro
- Ray Bradbury on Violence, Laughter and Sadness
- Bill Evans Live, ’64, ’75
- Leonard Bernstein Conducts the Boston Symphony in Mozart’s Symphony No. 40 in G Minor
- The Minnesota Orchestra in Cuba
- Partita No. 6 in E minor, BWV 830, Edward Neeman, Piano
- Festival Next Generation 2015: Mozart: Sinfonia Concertante
- James Baldwin Debates William F. Buckley (1965)
- Philadelphia Orchestra Performs La Marseillaise
- J.S.Bach’s Concerto for Three Violins, BWV 1064, Julia Fischer Leading
- Cremaine Booker Performs Barber’s Adagio for Strings, By Himself in a Four-Cello Arrangement
- Juan Diego Florez: Besame Mucho
- Valentina Lisitsa plays Liszt’s Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2
- Aaron Copland Conducts His Own Fanfare For The Common Man, After Leonard Bernstein Lecture
- President Warren G. Harding’s Erotica
- Anaïs Nin Reads from her Diary
- Schumann’s Piano Concerto in A Minor, Op. 54, Murray Perahia, Piano
- Carl Maria von Weber: Clarinet Concerto No. 2 in E flat major, op. 74. Anna Paulová at the Clarinet
- Charles Dickens in 10 Minutes
- Pergolesi: Stabat Mater, for Soprano and Alto, With Les Talens Lyriques
- Ben Webster and Oscar Peterson, Together, Live, in 1972
- J.S.Bach’s Fantasia and Fuge in G Minor BWV 542, John Scott at the Organ
- Schubert’s Piano Sonata No 20 D 959 in A major Performed by Alfred Brendel
- Gabriel Faure’s Requiem, Orchestre de Paris, Chen Reiss, Matthias Coerne
- Mozart’s Oboe Concerto, Moscow Virtuosi
- Mozart’s Piano Concerto No. 15 in B flat major, K 450, Robert Levin, cond.
- How Disney Cartoons Were Made
- Chopin’s Piano Concerto Nr. 2, Rosalía Gómez Lasheras at the Piano
- Edward MacDowell: To a Wild Rose
- Hilary Hahn plays Ernst’ s Grand Caprice on Schubert’s Der Erlkönig, Op. 26
- Telemann’s Fantasia for Solo Violin in B-Flat Major, Cynthia Freivogel on the Baroque Violin
- John Field: Nocturne No. 10 in E Minor
- Respighi’s Pines of Rome
- Schostakovich’s Best Waltz, for Guitars
- Happy Birthday Ray Charles: Georgia On My Mind