Today: Partly cloudy in the morning, then mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 90s. South winds 5 to 10 mph. Heat index readings 98 to 102. Tonight: Mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening, then partly cloudy after midnight. Lows in the mid 70s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Details here.
Today’s document from the National Archives and the Astronomy Picture of the Day.
Today’s tides: at the beaches, at the Intracoastal Waterway.
Drought Index: 157
The OED’s Word of the Day: cabbage, n.3.
The Live Community Calendar
Today’s jail bookings.
Today’s Briefing: Quick Links
- First Light
- In Flagler and Palm Coast
- Flagler Jail Bookings and Last 24 Hours of Incident Reports
- In State Government
- Cats and Dogs Looking For Homes
- In Coming Days in Flagler, Palm Coast and Beyond
- Fact-Checking the Knaves
- Palm Coast Construction and Development
- Local Road and Interstate Construction
- Cultural Coda
Note: all government meetings noticed below are free and open to the public unless otherwise indicated. Many can be heard or seen live through each agency’s website.
The Sheriff’s daily incident reports and jail bookings are posted here.
The Flagler County Commission holds a workshop to discuss the results of an air-quality analysts at the Sheriff’s Operations Center, 9 a.m. at the Emergency Operations Center, 1769 E. Moody Blvd., Building 3, Bunnell. The workshop may be followed by a special meeting, should commissioners decide to take action.
The Flagler County Commission meets in regular session at 5 p.m. at the Government Services Building, Bunnell. Commissioners are expected to approve a new ordinance forbidding political signage on public property in most circumstances. Commissioners are also expected to approve the siting of a public safety telecommunications tower at 1250 South Old Dixie Highway.
The Bunnell City Commission holds a special meeting to decide what new group of candidates to interview for city manager, now that the first round proved inconclusive, at 6:15 p.m. at City Hall, 201 West Moody Boulevard. The meeting will be followed by a workshop on the city budget.
Navy Bombing in the Ocala National Forest: Navy training schedules indicate that inert and live bombing will take place at the Pinecastle Range Complex located in the Ocala National Forest this week. Bombings at times can be heard in Flagler-Palm Coast. The bombings are scheduled as follows:
- Wednesday: 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Live Bombing
- Thursday: 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Live Bombing
During bombing periods wildlife may be temporarily displaced. Use extra caution when driving through the Ocala National forest and surrounding areas. Secure any items around your residence that could attract wildlife. Always be mindful of larger animals including black bears and practice bearwise
Blood Donations: The Big Red Bus will be at the following locations this week:
- Saturday: Chick Fil A, 1000 Palm Coast Parkway, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Sunday: Starbucks, 250 Palm Coast Parkway, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Jail Bookings and Last 24 Hours' Incidents in Flagler, Palm Coast, Flagler Beach, Bunnell
|Jail Bookings, June 19-22|
Sheriff's night shift incident reports, June 21
Sheriff's day shift incident reports, June 21
Flagler Beach's night shift incident reports, June 21
Flagler Beach's day shift incident reports, June 21
Bunnell police's night shift incident reports, June 21
Bunnell police's day shift incident reports, June 21
Nightly lane closures on Florida Park Drive to begin Monday, July 16 and continuing until Friday night, July 20. The Palm Coast Utility Department will be closing one lane of Florida Park Drive — a segment at a time – from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. nightly to allow for lining of the sanitary sewer system. The project will be done in rotating segments all along Florida Park Drive. Traffic control will be provided.
JUDGE WEIGHS EARLY VOTING CASE: U.S. District Judge Mark Walker will hold a hearing in a lawsuit filed by the League of Women Voters of Florida and other plaintiffs who argue early voting sites should be allowed on state university and college campuses. The plaintiffs filed the lawsuit in May against Secretary of State Ken Detzner. Walker will hear arguments about a proposed preliminary injunction. (Monday, 9 a.m., United States Courthouse, 111 North Adams St., Tallahassee.)
UNF TRUSTEES MEET: The University of North Florida Board of Trustees will take up issues such as a resolution outlining the authority of new university President David Szymanski. (Monday, 2:30 p.m., University of North Florida, J.J. Daniel Hall, Jacksonville.)
KING SPEAKS TO DUVAL DEMOCRATS: Democratic gubernatorial candidate Chris King is expected to speak during a meeting of the Duval County Democratic Executive Committee. (Monday, 6 p.m., IBEW union hall, 966 North Liberty St., Jacksonville.)
—-Compiled by the News Service of Florida and FlaglerLive
To include your event in this section, please fill out this form.
|The following is provided as a service to Community Cats of Palm Coast and the Flagler Humane Society. Should you have a lost pet and would like it noticed here, please contact us at [email protected].|
Keep Up with Donald Trump’s attacks on the press through the ACLU’s running tab here.
Keep Up with mass shootings in a running database here.
Here’s a summary of the latest city developments as of July 6, 2018, with a link to the full week in review here.
Beethoven : Piano concerto No.3 Performed by Alice Sara Ott at the Piano
The pianist Alice Sara Ott plays the Piano Concerto No.3 composed by Ludwig van Beethoven, with the Radio France Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Mikko Franck. Live recording on January 27, 2018 in the auditorium of Radio France.
- Kurt Atterberg: Suite No. 3, Op. 19 for violin, viola and string orchestra, Pantomime
- Kurt Atterberg: Sinfonia for Strings
- David Letterman First Ever Appearance On The Tonight show With Johnny Carson: 1978
- Andres Alen: Variations on a Theme By Milanes
- Stephen Heller, Etude Op 46, 11
- Constitutionally Speaking with Justice David Souter and Margaret Warner
- Agustin Barrios Mangore: David Russell Performs the 4th Waltz Op. 8
- A Few Bach Inventions
- Boris Berezovsky Plays the Chopin/Godowsky Etude in G flat major
- Stewart Goodyear: Beethoven’s Hammerklavier 4th movement
- Claude Bolling and Hubert Laws on the Johnny Carson Show
- Schumann’s Toccata, Op. 7, Performed by Evgeny Kissin
- Bach Cantata BWV 170, Clare Wilkinson, mezzosoprano
- Toru Takemitsu: Air for Solo Flute
- Martha Argerich Plays Piazzolla’s Oblivion
- Bach-Liszt: Organ Prelude and Fugue in A minor
- Leonard Bernstein: Young People’s Concerts Vol. 2 (Includes André Watts)
- Emerson Quartet, Contrapunctus 9 from Bach’s Art of Fugue
- Virginia Grand Military Band, Memorial Day Concert 2017