Today: Partly cloudy. Slight chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning, then chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 90s. Northwest winds around 5 mph shifting to the southeast in the afternoon. Chance of rain 50 percent. Heat index readings 102 to 106. Tonight: Mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening, then partly cloudy after midnight. Lows in the mid 70s. Southwest winds around 5 mph.Details here.
Today’s document from the National Archives and the Astronomy Picture of the Day.
Today’s tides: at the beaches, at the Intracoastal Waterway.
Drought Index: 66
The OED’s Word of the Day: palafitte, n..
The Live Community Calendar
Today’s jail bookings.
Today’s Briefing: Quick Links
- First Light
- In Flagler and Palm Coast
- Flagler Jail Bookings and Last 24 Hours of Incident Reports
- In State Government
- Cats and Dogs Looking For Homes
- In Coming Days in Flagler, Palm Coast and Beyond
- Fact-Checking the Knaves
- Palm Coast Construction and Development
- Local Road and Interstate Construction
- Cultural Coda
“But running was nothing new. It’s what I did. Run here, run there, run to wherever the possibilities seemed brightest.”
–From Willie Nelson’s “It’s A Long Story” (2015)
Note: all government meetings noticed below are free and open to the public unless otherwise indicated. Many can be heard or seen live through each agency’s website.
The Sheriff’s daily incident reports and jail bookings are posted here.
The Flagler County Economic Opportunity Advisory Council meets at 9 a.m. in board chambers at the Government Services Building, Bunnell. Michael Zaharios of the Florida Virtual Entrepreneur Center and Ray Peter of the Small Business Development Center will speak to the board, and the board is expected to approve sponsoring the African American Entrepreneurs Club.
The Flagler County Parks and Recreation Advisory Board meets at 10 a.m. in the First Floor Conference Room, 1769 E. Moody Blvd., Bldg. 2, Bunnell.
A meeting of the Compassionate Friends is scheduled at the Vitas Office at 4 North Old Kings Road (across from Kentucky Fried Chicken) in Palm Coast. The meeting begins at 5:30 p.m. The Compassionate Friends, a nonprofit self-help bereavement support organization for families that have experienced the death of a child. The meeting is open to all parents, grandparents, and siblings over age 18 who has suffered the loss of a child of any age. For more information, call John Brady at 610-428-3139. To learn more about The Compassionate Friends, visit their national website at www.compassionatefriends.org.
The Stewart Marchman-Act Foundation hosts its 20th Annual Dinner Celebration and Auction, honoring Rusty Wallace, NASCAR Champion and NASCAR Hall of Fame Inductee, and features guest speaker David A. Siegel, Founder, President and CEO of Westgate Resorts. At the Daytona 500 Club at Daytona International Speedway starting at 6 p.m. with a social hour followed by dinner and program at 7 p.m. This year’s theme is “All About the 20’s: Celebrating the SMA Foundation’s 20th Anniversary”. Live 20s-era jazz music will be performed from 6-7pm by local musicians, Daniel “Saxman” Fuqua and J. Muzic Carson. David Siegel will address the Opioid Crisis in our communities and nation. Sponsorship opportunities are available, starting at $1,500. Individual seats $200. For more information about the event, please contact Cyndi Hines at 386-254-1136, or email [email protected]
- Wednesday: S. Korea v. Germany, 10 a.m. FS1 | Mexico v. Sweden, 10 a.m. Fox | Switzerland v. Croatia, 2 p.m. FS1 | Serbia v. Brazil, 2 p.m. Fox |
- Thursday: Japan v. Poland, 10 a.m. FS1 | Senegal v. Colombia, 10 a.m. Fox | Panama v. Tunisia, 2 p.m. FS1 | England v. Belgium, 2 p.m. Fox
- Friday: No matches.
- Saturday: Quarterfinals.
- Sunday: Quarterfinals.
See the full schedule here.
Blood Donations: The Big Red Bus will be at the following locations this week:
- Monday: Flagler County Library, 2500 Palm Coast Parkway, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Tuesday: Florida Hospital Flagler, 60 Memorial Medical Parkway, 9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Thursday: Metro Diner, 250 Palm Coast Parkway (Island Walk), 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Friday: Walmart, 174 Cypress Point Parkway, Palm Coast, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Jail Bookings and Last 24 Hours' Incidents in Flagler, Palm Coast, Flagler Beach, Bunnell
|Jail Bookings, June 19-22
Sheriff's night shift incident reports, June 21
Sheriff's day shift incident reports, June 21
Flagler Beach's night shift incident reports, June 21
Flagler Beach's day shift incident reports, June 21
Bunnell police's night shift incident reports, June 21
Bunnell police's day shift incident reports, June 21
In Florida and in State Government:
Note: Some proceedings below can be followed live on the Florida Channel. Most legislative proceedings can be followed through the Senate or House websites.
NEW FINANCIAL REGULATOR CONSIDERED: Gov. Rick Scott and the Florida Cabinet will hold a conference call and are expected to appoint a replacement for Drew Breakspear, who recently announced he was stepping down as commissioner of the state Office of Financial Regulation. State Chief Financial Officer Jimmy Patronis, a member of the Cabinet, pressured Breakspear to leave the post. (Wednesday, 8 a.m., public access in the Cabinet meeting room, the Capitol.)
UNIVERSITY ISSUES DISCUSSED: The Strategic Planning Committee of the state university system’s Board of Governors will continue a review of the annual accountability plans for the 12 state universities. At 11:30 a.m., the Board of Governors will have a recognition ceremony for retiring University of Central Florida President John Hitt. Afternoon meetings include the Innovation and Online Committee, the Audit and Compliance Committee, the Budget and Finance Committee, the Facilities Committee and the Drugs, Alcohol and Mental Health Task Force. (Wednesday, meetings start at 8:30 a.m., University of Central Florida, Fairwinds Alumni Center, 12676 Gemini Blvd. North, Orlando. Call-in number: 1-888-670-3525. Code: 4122150353)
SCOTT SPEAKS AT COUNTIES EVENT: Gov. Rick Scott will speak during the opening ceremony of the Florida Association of Counties annual conference. Other topics during the day will include the opioid crisis and the security of voting systems. (Wednesday, 9 a.m., Hyatt Regency Orlando, 9801 International Dr., Orlando.)
—-Compiled by the News Service of Florida and FlaglerLive
In Coming Days in Palm Coast, Flagler and the Occasional Beyond:
To include your event in this section, please fill out this form.
Cats and Dogs Looking For Homes
|The following is provided as a service to Community Cats of Palm Coast and the Flagler Humane Society. Should you have a lost pet and would like it noticed here, please contact us at [email protected].|
Keep Up with Donald Trump’s attacks on the press through the ACLU’s running tab here.
Keep Up with mass shootings in a running database here.
Palm Coast Construction and Development Progress Reports
Here’s a summary of the latest city developments as of June 22, 2018, with a link to the full week in review here.
Click to access week-in-review-june-22-20181.pdf
Road and Interstate Construction:
Agustin Barrios Mangore: David Russell Performs the 4th Waltz Op. 8
- A Few Bach Inventions
- Boris Berezovsky Plays the Chopin/Godowsky Etude in G flat major
- Stewart Goodyear: Beethoven’s Hammerklavier 4th movement
- Claude Bolling and Hubert Laws on the Johnny Carson Show
- Schumann’s Toccata, Op. 7, Performed by Evgeny Kissin
- Bach Cantata BWV 170, Clare Wilkinson, mezzosoprano
- Toru Takemitsu: Air for Solo Flute
- Martha Argerich Plays Piazzolla’s Oblivion
- Bach-Liszt: Organ Prelude and Fugue in A minor
- Leonard Bernstein: Young People’s Concerts Vol. 2 (Includes André Watts)
- Emerson Quartet, Contrapunctus 9 from Bach’s Art of Fugue
- Virginia Grand Military Band, Memorial Day Concert 2017
- Bach’s English Suite in G Minor BWV 808, Zoltan Fejervari, Miami Beach
- The Dangers of Sitting
- Glenn Gould’s U.S. Television Debut: Bernstein Conducting Bach’s Keyboard Concerto No. 1 in D minor
- Jean Baptiste Singelée: Septième Solo de Concert, Op. 93
Leave a Reply