Today: Partly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the lower 90s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Heat index readings 105 to 109 in the afternoon. Tonight: Mostly cloudy in the evening then becoming partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the mid 70s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Details here.
Today’s document from the National Archives and the Astronomy Picture of the Day.
Today’s tides: at the beaches, at the Intracoastal Waterway.
Drought Index: 67
The OED’s Word of the Day: resistentialism, n..
The Live Community Calendar
Today’s jail bookings.
Today’s Briefing: Quick Links
- First Light
- In Flagler and Palm Coast
- Flagler Jail Bookings and Last 24 Hours of Incident Reports
- In State Government
- Cats and Dogs Looking For Homes
- In Coming Days in Flagler, Palm Coast and Beyond
- Fact-Checking the Knaves
- Palm Coast Construction and Development
- Local Road and Interstate Construction
- Cultural Coda
“The fact that some African Americans have experienced great success in recent years does not mean that something akin to a racial caste system no longer exists. No caste system in the United States has ever governed all black people; there have always been “free blacks” and black success stories, even during slavery and Jim Crow. The superlative nature of individual black achievement today in formerly white domains is a good indicator that the old Jim Crow is dead, but it does not necessarily mean the end of racial caste. If history is any guide, it may have simply taken a different form.”
–Michelle Alexander, “The New Jim Crow” (2012)
Note: all government meetings noticed below are free and open to the public unless otherwise indicated. Many can be heard or seen live through each agency’s website.
The Sheriff’s daily incident reports and jail bookings are posted here.
In court: Circuit Judge Terence Perkins holds a probation violation hearing in the case of Dante Mobley, a sex offender found guilty of statutory rape and sentenced in 2014 to five years in prison followed by 10 years’ sex-offender probation. served his sentence, with credit for time served and 15 percent early release for good behavior, but was re-arrested on April 12 on a probation violation. Mobley, 35, a resident of 611 South Bacher Street in Bunnell, generated a series of violations, including losing his $900 court-issued tracking bracelet, a failure to report, and living within 1,000 feet of a place where children gather. Mobley has been at the county jail since his re-arrest. The hearing is at 3 p.m. in Courtroom 401.
World’s Largest Swim Lesson, 10 a.m., with registration at 9:30 a.m. at the City of Palm Coast’s Frieda Zamba Pool, 339 Parkview Drive, Palm Coast. Join thousands of swimmers across the world for a swimming lesson aimed at preventing childhood drowning. Free admission. More info: 386-986-4741.
Lunch N’ Lecture Series, 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m. at Palm Coast Community Center, 305 Palm Coast Pkwy. NE. Join professionals during lunch for informational discussions at the monthly Lunch N’ Lecture Series sponsored by Florida Hospital Flagler. This month: “Senior Self Defense” with Sgt. Michael Lutz of the Flagler County Sheriff’s Office. This Palm Coast Parks & Recreation lecture and lunch are free, but pre-registration is required (while space available) by 11 a.m. June 20: www.palmcoastgov.com/register. More info: 386-986-2323.
Navy Bombing in the Ocala National Forest: Navy training schedules indicate that inert and live bombing will take place at the Pinecastle Range Complex located in the Ocala National Forest this week. Bombings at times can be heard in Flagler-Palm Coast. The bombings are scheduled as follows:
- Thursday: 9-11 a.m. – Live Bombing/4:45-6:45 p.m. – Inert
During bombing periods wildlife may be temporarily displaced. Use extra caution when driving through the Ocala National forest and surrounding areas. Secure any items around your residence that could attract wildlife. Always be mindful of larger animals including black bears and practice bearwise
- Thursday: France v. Peru, 8 a.m., FS1 | Denmark v. Australia, 11 a.m., Fox | Argentina v. Croatia, 2 p.m ., Fox.
- Friday: Brazil v. Costa Rica, 8 a.m., FS1 | Nigeria v. Iceland, 11 a.m., Fox | Serbia v. Switzerland, 2 p.m., Fox.
- Saturday: Belgium v. Tunisia, 8 a.m., Fox | Germany v. Sweden, 11 a.m., Fox | South Korea v. Mexico, 2 p.m., Fox.
- Sunday: England v. Panama, 8 a.m., FS1 | Japan v. Senegal, 11 a.m., Fox | Poland v. Colombia, 2 p.m., Fox.
See the full schedule here.
Blood Donations: The Big Red Bus will be at the following locations this week:
- Saturday: Aaron’s, 229 St. Joe’s Plaza, Palm Coast, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Jail Bookings and Last 24 Hours' Incidents in Flagler, Palm Coast, Flagler Beach, Bunnell
|Jail Bookings, June 19-22
Sheriff's night shift incident reports, June 21
Sheriff's day shift incident reports, June 21
Flagler Beach's night shift incident reports, June 21
Flagler Beach's day shift incident reports, June 21
Bunnell police's night shift incident reports, June 21
Bunnell police's day shift incident reports, June 21
Road closure planned on County Road 205 starting Monday, June 25: Flager County Public Works Department is planning temporary road and lane closures, as it upgrades culverts, widens, and resurfaces County Road 205. County Road 205, June 25 to July 13 – will be closed west of Espanola and CR13. A southerly detour will run along US Route 1 and State Road 100. Intermittent single-lane closures will continue on CR 205 in the coming months. Flagmen and signage will be in place to assist with traffic flow. For more information, call Flagler County Public Works at 386-313-4006.
In Florida and in State Government:
Note: Some proceedings below can be followed live on the Florida Channel. Most legislative proceedings can be followed through the Senate or House websites.
JOB FAIR HELD: CareerSource Florida, the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity, the Florida State Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, home builders and Uber will combine to hold a job fair in the Panhandle. (Thursday, 10 a.m., Pensacola State College, Milton Campus, 5988 Highway 90, Milton.)
SUPREME COURT RELEASES OPINIONS: The Florida Supreme Court is scheduled to release its weekly opinions. (Thursday, 11 a.m.)
CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES AT ISSUE: A joint Committee on Controlled Substances, which includes members of the boards of Pharmacy, Podiatric Medicine, Medicine, Osteopathic Medicine, Dentistry, Nursing, Optometry and Podiatric Medicine and the Council on Physician Assistants, will meet. The joint committee is working to carry out a new law (HB 21) aimed at helping curb the state’s opioid epidemic. (Thursday, 1 p.m., DoubleTree Hotel, 5780 Major Blvd., Orlando.)
—-Compiled by the News Service of Florida and FlaglerLive
In Coming Days in Palm Coast, Flagler and the Occasional Beyond:
To include your event in this section, please fill out this form.
Cats and Dogs Looking For Homes
|The following is provided as a service to Community Cats of Palm Coast and the Flagler Humane Society. Should you have a lost pet and would like it noticed here, please contact us at [email protected].|
Keep Up with Donald Trump’s attacks on the press through the ACLU’s running tab here.
Keep Up with mass shootings in a running database here.
Palm Coast Construction and Development Progress Reports
Here’s a summary of the latest city developments as of June 15, 2018, with a link to the full week in review here.
Click to access palm-coast-week-in-review-june-15-20181.pdf
Road and Interstate Construction:
Boris Berezovsky Plays the Chopin/Godowsky Etude in G flat major
- Stewart Goodyear: Beethoven’s Hammerklavier 4th movement
- Claude Bolling and Hubert Laws on the Johnny Carson Show
- Schumann’s Toccata, Op. 7, Performed by Evgeny Kissin
- Bach Cantata BWV 170, Clare Wilkinson, mezzosoprano
- Toru Takemitsu: Air for Solo Flute
- Martha Argerich Plays Piazzolla’s Oblivion
- Bach-Liszt: Organ Prelude and Fugue in A minor
- Leonard Bernstein: Young People’s Concerts Vol. 2 (Includes André Watts)
- Emerson Quartet, Contrapunctus 9 from Bach’s Art of Fugue
- Virginia Grand Military Band, Memorial Day Concert 2017
- Bach’s English Suite in G Minor BWV 808, Zoltan Fejervari, Miami Beach
- The Dangers of Sitting
- Glenn Gould’s U.S. Television Debut: Bernstein Conducting Bach’s Keyboard Concerto No. 1 in D minor
- Jean Baptiste Singelée: Septième Solo de Concert, Op. 93
- Telemann’s Fantasia No. 1 in A Major for solo flute, Performed by Kristen Stoner
- Frédéric Chopin: Piano Concerto No. 1 in E Minor, Olga Scheps, piano
- Bechara el-Khoury: Forgotten Fragments
- The Violins of Hope: Amnon’s journey
- Chanticleer Sings Shenandoah
- Bottesini Gran Duo for double bass and violin
- Schubert’s “Der Lindenbaum,” “Im Frühling”: Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau and Gerald Moore
- Schumann: Sonata for Violin and Piano no 1 in A minor, Op. 105 (Yoojin Jang)
Leave a Reply