Fernando Chavez, Biker Hurt March 16 in A1A Crash in Flagler Beach, Dies

| March 25, 2012

Fernando Chavez. (Chavez family)

Last Updated: March 25, 8 a.m.

Update: Fernando Chavez died on March 24, eight days after he was critically injured when his motorcycle struck a car on State Road A1A in Flagler Beach.

Note: An account has been opened at PNC Bank under the name Paola Arce (Fernando Chavez’s sister), subtitled “Team Nando,” to help the family with expenses. An account number is not necessary to make donations, only mention the name of the account.

For anyone who is interested in helping Fernando’s Family, this link takes you to a website where you can make donations. This money will be used towards funeral costs. Any help is appreciated.

The following was contributed by the family:

Fernando Chavez Funeral Services

Fernando Chavez born on November 25th, 1982 in Santa Cruz De La Sierra- Bolivia, passed away on March 24th, 2012 at the age of 29.

Fernando Chavez nacio el 25 de Noviembre de 1982, en Santa Cruz De La Sierra- Bolivia, fallecio el 24 de Marzo del 2012.

Funeral Services will be held at the Demaine Funeral Home on Sunday April 1st, 2012 from 1:00PM to 8:00PM.
Servicios funebres se llevaran acabo en Demaine Funeral Home el Domingo 1ro de Abril, 2012 desde la 1:00PM hasta las 8:00PM.

Demaine Funeral Home
Funeral Visitations 1PM-8PM
5308 Baclick Road
Springfiled, VA 22151
Phone: 703-941-9428

Funeral Catholic ceremony will also be held at the Demaine Funeral Home on Monday April 2, 2012 @10:00AM

La Ceremonia Catolica de cuerpo presente tambien se llevara acabo en la casa funeraria Demaine, pero sera el Lunes 2 de Abril, 2012 a las 10:00AM

Funeral Catholic Ceremony
Monday April 2, 2012 @ 10AM
Demaine Funeral Home
5308 Baclick Road
Springfield, VA 22151

Followed by the Catholic Ceremony we will have the burial at Fairfax Memorial Cementery @ 1PM on Monday April 2, 2012.

Seguido inmediatamente por el cepelio en Fairfax Memorial Cementery a la 1:00PM el mismo Lunes, 2 de Abril del 2012.

Fairfax Memorial Cementery-Section 6
9900 Braddock Rd
Fairfax, VA 22032
703-323-5202

We will have maps of the actual cemetery so you can locate the place of burial.

Tendremos mapas del cementerio para que puedan localizar el lugar del cepelio.

Demaine Funeral Home
Springfield, MD
View Map · Get Directions
Nando GhostRyderz Chavez

A biker speeding south on A1A in Flagler Beach struck a two-door Pontiac GT this afternoon, sending the biker flying about between 140 and 180 feet, according to several witnesses at the scene, before falling on the road’s west shoulder. Fernando Chavez, 29, of Annandale, Va., was flown out on Flagler County Fire Rescue’s Fire Flight helicopter at 1:31 p.m.

Click On:

The wreck took place at 12:50 p.m. on A1A between 22nd and 23rd Street North. A1A was shut down in both direction soon after, from 21st Street to 23rd Street, and remained shut down until 3:16 p.m., when the scene was cleared and traffic resumed in both directions.

“I was behind him, he was a ways up from me, and what i saw, I saw him go right into that car,” Carolyn Sanita, a resident of Flagler Beach who was driving a minivan behind the biker, said. “He just ran right into that car and went flying. That’s what I saw.”

“The motorcyclist was going at least 80 mph when he flew past our house,” LeighAnn Koch, another witness, said. “Neighbors and I heard him accelerating at higher rates of speed for minute, couple minutes before he passed us.”

There wasn’t much left of Chavez’s 2006 Suzuki motorcycle but a crumple as if welded to the front right side of the Pontiac, itself crumpled around the wheel. The right headlight and the immediate area surrounding it was intact. The damage begins about a foot behind the headlight, suggesting that the car may have been at an angle when the bike hit it.

Later in the afternoon, a Florida Highway Patrol investigator described the incident this way: the 52-year-old woman driving the Pontiac, Diane Toth of Palm Coast, had been at the Java Joint with her parents. The Pontiac had been parked on the ocean side of A1A, facing north. Toth then began doing a U-turn to head back south. Chavez struck the Pontiac at that point, never slowing down.

Chavez struck the car, the FHP investigator said, then violently struck the ground and bounced several times against the pavement and the sandy shoulder, finally landing some 50 to 60 yards, or 180 feet, south of the point of impact. The violence of both the initial impact and of hitting the ground repeatedly left Chavez with severe injuries to the head: he was not wearing a helmet, the FHP investigator said. As of this writing, he remains in critical condition at Halifax Hospital, but “it doesn’t look good,” the investigator said.

Charges are pending against Toth. She was not injured, nor were her parents.

Flagler Beach police, the Flagler County Sheriff’s Office and Florida Highway Patrol investigators were at the scene, along with the Flagler Beach Fire Department and Flagler County Fire Rescue. The scene was wrapped in a large square of crime-scene tape.

The Java Joint overlooks the scene. It’s the second Bike Week wreck there this week. The earlier one was less serious. Several people at the Java Joint, in cars traveling immediately behind or in front of the scene, and on the sidewalk saw or heard the accident, and were being interviewed by FHP. (The Java Joint remains open.) The scene was cleared by Roger’s Towing. By then, the Java Joint had not a single customer left.

Flagler County Fire Rescue's Fire Flight lifts off at 1:30 p.m. from State Road A1A in Flagler Beach, with one man in critical condition on board after he crashed his motorcycle into a car. Click on the image for larger view. (FlaglerLive)

Click on the image for larger view. (FlaglerLive)

Debris from the crash spread south of the scene several feet. (FlaglerLive)

The impact left parts of the bike embedded in the wheel of the car. Click the image for larger view. (FlaglerLive)

Click on the image for larger viw. (FlaglerLive)

238 Responses for “Fernando Chavez, Biker Hurt March 16 in A1A Crash in Flagler Beach, Dies”

The one making the U turn does not have a righ of way! The turn is to be made only if clear from incoming traffic. But for some drivers; bikers, cyclist and even pedestrians lives, are not deserving of waiting to make their turns..Hope the biker recovers.

• Rocky Mac says:

Not to make a same scenario comparison but you are right about drivers who disregard others. My husband and I while riding our bicycles were nearly hit twice by drivers not giving us the right of way. In both cases they pulled out of stop streets and almost hit us.

• NortonSmitty says:

But if you see the road is clear a distance that would allow a safe turn and some idiot is going over 100 MPH and hits you in an instant, It should not be the girls fault. And I ride a lot.

• Anonymous says:

Don’t call him an idiot. You ride too so it can happen to you.

• just me says:

I believe he was calling him an idiot not because he rides but because only an idiot would go 80 to 100 miles per hr with nothing around him for protection….

• Carnage says:

A bike can sound way faster than its actually going. To people that don’t ride I’m pretty sure they would of said he was flying.

• Melissa says:

Not to mention the people that said he was going 80 were stationary and its hard to tell speed when you are standing still. If he was going so fast the mini van following him would have been going just as fast. Bikes look fast and they sound fast because of how lots they are, but that’s just to help people hear them when they are near by.

• Steve says:

I have been riding for over 40 years, and I like others enjoy speed, but we as bikers also need to be observant of when it is safe to speed, and speeding in a 45mph residential zone is not safe for a motorcyclist to speed. I feel bad about the accident for both parties, but the motorcyclist was speeding at twice the speed limit, adding to the risk of motor cycle riding. I cannot believe that the driver intentionally decided to cut in front of the speeding motorcyclist, the motorcyclist should have backed off/slowed down as soon as he seen the car making a u turn.

• Anonymous says:

I am pretty sure, and based on the police report and the scene, that this woman did not see the rider, she was probably on the phone or maybe even drunk, and turn right in front of him, he did not have the chance to even brake, no skid marks on the ground.
          She cut him off, plus the angle of where the bike hit, and how outside of the road it was, it clearly shows thats he cut him, and he tried to avoid him running to the dirt, no rider, would intentionally go to dirt for safety. THis only shows, she did not give him the chance to even brake, and the pictures show that.

So when speaking, people have to be objective, I am sure if it was a car and not a bike, people would not have such stupid comments on here.

• Anonymous says:

May you need to chose your words carefully. I wouldn’t have called him and idiot. I don’t think his family would like to hear that right now. That biker lost his life.

• Family says:

A u turn only takes about a fraction of time to make, less then 1 or 2 seconds of time, how far could he have been in order for her to make a decision to turn in front of him. Please note, that there were no skid marks on the ground, this woman turned unexpectedly in front of the driver, not even giving him the chance to attempt to break. She was not paying attention to incoming traffic, if he had been able to read her mine and know that she was going to turn in front of him, then it would have been a different story, but humans don’t have the capability to read mines…do we. She had no blinkers on to indicate she would be making a turn. She did not give him time to break she turned without looking or as far as I know caring , I think this is obvious. I hear a lot of people blaming the biker.. how about her, did she had the right away, did she look before turning, was she maybe on the phone, or was she thinking he has to see me, upto him to stop, I have a big car..he is the only one who can get hurt if he doesn’t stop or was she maybe talking to her parents or was she on drugs or maybe even drunk???? I mean it was Saturday afternoon on warm hot sunny day, who is to say, that she had not been drinking, as far as I know, no alcohol or drug test was performed on the car driver. Also, isnt’ strange that no police report has yet been issued, isnt strange that she seemed very well known by some of the fire fighters at the scene. Hmmm no police report, they are taking their time.
        To all of you who claimed he had been riding on the road for a while, hope u know, it is not true, it was bike week in Daytona and they were hundred of bikes in flager beach, was his the only bike riding back and forth on the road. Freaking lyers. This woman turned in front of my brother, and u blame him??? he had the right away. No matter how fast u are going, if confronted to an object, an experience rider like Fernando would have attempted to break, she did not give him the chance due to her unexpected turn, if he had been in a car, all u idiot would not be blaming him, the fact that he was a biker, does not make him less of a human being.

• Ben Dover says:

she prolly thought she had plenty of time the speed limit is like twenty five in that area not 80, it hadn`t been speeding he`d of been able to at least slow down some , both are at fault

• Anonymous says:

We get driver licences not to probably, but for precised decision, he had the right of away, so no excuses. She cut him off, no skid marks on the floor from the rider, she cut him, I am sure the rider did see the car coming from the other side, but never expected for her to cut him off in such way, making a u-turn in front of him. She should and will be prosecuted for this. She deserves no better, she shoudl not be driving, and speed driver should get a ticket, but the mistake and traffic fault she made took a life.

• Anonymous says:

absolutely correct!!!!!! You have to yield to the traffic when making a U-turn…they need to charge her!!!!

• just me says:

HOWEVER,had he not been traveling at such a high rate of speed he would have been able to slow down and swerve to avoid hitting the car or come to a stop.

• Anonymous says:

Again, he had to fix her mistake, she cut him off, no excuses, she killed him, and we will go after her.

• Laurie Lanter says:

Do we have an update on Nando Chavez’ condition? I am praying for his complete recovery everyday!LALA

2. Unknown says:

When A biker is speeding over 80mph I’m sure the bike wasn’t visible till it was too late. Bikers need to obey the laws and wear helmets or things can end badly. The speed limit is 35 on a1a. God bless both families involved.

• Resident says:

regardless if the biker was speeding or not he still had to right away.. Unknown you wouldn’t say that if it was you speeding in a car and someone made a uturn in front of you.

• NortonSmitty says:

It’s actually 45 MPH.

• Billybob says:

Nice comment about not going 80 but the speed limit is absolutely NOT 35mph on A1A. It varies from 45 to 50 to 55mph the entire length of A1A in Flagler County. It is NEVER less than 45mph except within the city limits of Flagler Beach and the city limits of Marineland.

The speed limit runs as follows (stated as though driving from south to north)
      45mph from the south county line to Flagler Beach
      45mph from just out of Flagler Beach to just past Beverly Beach
      50mph from Beverly Beach to just past south gate / curve of Hammock Dunes
      55mph from Hammock Dunes all the way north to Marineland (end of county)

You must be the guy that keeps getting in front of me on A1A and going 32-34mph for miles and miles? Please don’t do that anymore, thanks.

3. Justin says:

I was there, it was horrible. The guy’s body was twisted up like a pretzel, he had so much blood coming outta his head… The noises he was making were spine-tingling. I kneeled down next to him and prayed. Half for him, and half so that I can get the sight/sound outta my head

• the bikers fam/friend says:

Justin, thank you for having the courage to get close to him and for your prayer. The biker is my beloved cousin and best friend. He is an awesome guy all around, those that know him know how great he is and how much he is loved by all. We are praying for him and know that he will pull through. He is the toughest person I know and I know he will make it home to us.

• Justin says:

My wife and I are thinking about him and how he’s doing constantly. I found his Facebook page, pretty sure it was him since it had the pic of his bike. Makes it feel so much more personal. We, and many of our friends, continue to pray for him. Please let us know how he’s doing? Thanks

• Fernandos family says:

Justin. Thank you for your support. How can we contact you?

• Anonymous says:

Justin. Thank you for praying for nando. how can we contact you???

• CODE says:

Nando, was a rider in our community in Northern Virginia. He was loved by so many people. I’m sorry for the loss of an honest man and fellow biker. My heart goes out to his family and The GhostRidersMC. You’ll be deeply missed.

• LeighAnn Koch says:

Please let us know on here how he’s doing. I also was at side before the police came, talking to him w my hand on his shoulder, trying to comfort him & keep him from moving – he kept trying to raise his head. Have been praying & worrying nonstop since it happened.

• Anonymous says:

I know Fernando. Please pray for him. Very nice guy.

• Justin says:

Do you know how he is doing?

• nova says:

I am a family friend of the biker. He is currently stable but in critical condition. Many many many injuries. The doctors were able to stop the internal bleeding but legs, arms, ribs are broken and a very serious skull fracture with serious brain swelling. The next 72 hours are absolutely critical for him. We are all praying for him. Thank you to all the witnesses that stayed with him while help was on the way.

• Carolyn says:

I was behind the motorcycle when I saw him fly into the air about 180 ft and I couldn’t believe
            what I was seeing. I stopped my van and went to the man. At first I couldn’t find where he landed
            but then I found him and I could tell he had a very serious head trauma. He was trying to sit up
            and the woman that was there with me was rubbing his back and telling him not to get up.
            It was horrible to see the guy on the ground in that manner and it certainly affected me. The police
            wouldn’t let me leave because I had to give a statement of what I saw and how this happen.

• Anonymous says:

First he did not fly 180 feet, he landed and stumbled to 150 feet., second if you were right behind him, where you also going 80 miles per hour?? if you were able to to see everything and right behind him, how fast where you going?? if you were going 50 and he was going 100 how were you able to see the accident, you slow speed and his fast speed, would have allowed u to see the accident, please explain??? I am very confused???

• Anonymous says:

He’s a great friend of mine…I hate hearing about this. ;/

• An Anonymous Friend of the Biker says:

I want to thank you for jumping right into prayer with him. That means a lot as we all here in his hometown are praying for a full recovery. I pray for you that you will not have those images prominently displayed in your memory as it will be heard in the begining. As for all theses comments that I see about ignorance and stupidity and who’s fault it is, I hope that they at least send a prayer to all parties involved. This is not easy on anyone.

• Anonymous says:

Fernando was my friend from middle school. I just heard about this and it truly is a trajedy. Thanks for being there and saying those prayers.

• Anonymous says:

Thanks for kneeling down next to him and praying, very grateful to you for that.

4. Cypress Grand says:

The driver making the u-turn may have looked and did not see anyone coming, but considering that the biker was going 80mph may have been upon on her instantly. The speed limit at the JavaJoint is 45pmh.

• Family says:

Cypress a u turn does not take that long to make, she turned in front of him now allowing him to even break. Please keep in mind that he did not fly the distance this report says, he bounced and stumbled to get to 140 feet. This road is a straight line, this woman was not looking or did not care, after all she had the big car right?/ who had the disadvantage if it came to an accident. She had no blinkers on indicating she would turn in front of him. if you were in a car and somebody make a u turn in front of you I am sure it would be a different story. Bikers dont are not less human because they are bikers.

5. POOR DRIVER says:

I FEEL HORRIBLE FOR THE POOR DRIVER AND HER FAMILY AT SPEEDS OF OVER 80 MPH AND PROB ARUND 100MPH THE MOTORCYCLE PROBALLY WASN’T EVEN IN VEIW WHEN SHE BEGAIN THE U-TURN. IF THE MOTORCYCLEIST WAS GOING THE SPPED LIMIT 45MPH HE WOULD HAVE BEEN ABLE TO BE FIRST VISUALIZED, 2ND ABLE TO STOP, AND THIRD ONLY HAD MINOR ROAD RASH. ALSO WEAR A HELMET!!! MY PRAYER GO OUT FOR THE BIKER FAMILY I AM SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS, BUT THIS SHOULD BE A LESSON IF YOU CHOOSE TO SPPED BE PREPARED FOR THE CONSEQUENCES!!

• Melissa says:

Was probably going more like 100? The 80mph wasn’t even verified by police, it was something an onlookers said. How had the mini van been following him if he had been going so fast. Just because they put it in an article that someone said it, doesn’t make it a fact. Don’t add to it. You dont know what happened, you weren’t there.

6. WHAT IF says:

what if this was a car going 100mph down the road and hit another car. everyone would say STUPID DRIVER, the fact that is is bike week and a motorcycle for some reason seems to replace that thought and make people feel it was the driver. it is a criminal offense to drive at speeds of the high, and if it was a car not a bike the world would be angry with the speeder. This is no difference she bike was speeding i agree with poor driver dont spped wear a helment. it’s not always the cars fault, just because thousands of you bike come to our town

• Anonymous says:

These fools don’t get it. They want bikers to obey the law but cagers don’t. I wouldn’t be surprised if she was talking on the phone or texting. Don’t be so quick to judge the rider. Was someone standing in front of the java joint with a radar gun. We modify bikes making them sound louder than they are when we speed up. Stop blaming the biker for other lack of attention.

• Jim says:

First off It is a Violation for speeding not a crime. Second stop making U turns on busy streets, go to the next intersection and make your turn. It is just plain lazyness and being in a hurry all the time to do these stupid moves. Oh and another thing STOP at stop signs don’t be rolling through them STOP means STOP

7. Unknown says:

This is such a sad tragedy. Our family was getting into our car after a swim in the ocean and were physically startled as the biker revved his engine & sped by us. We both commented on how very fast he was going and that we found it daring to go that fast on such a busy road, especially without a helmet. Within a minute, we drove by the accident scene and were shocked. Regardless of circumstances, accidents are awful for all involved. It’s all too easy to blame one side or the other, however, time would be better spent praying for all involved and reminding ourselves to be safe & smart on the road.

• Anonymous says:

Just because you rev an engine or because its loud doesn’t mean he was speeding. the noise a sport bike makes can also come off as sounding faster then ones actually traveling

SO true

8. Outsider says:

Yes, if the bike was doing 80, the car driver may not have seen it or thought she had time had the bike been going the posted speed limit.

9. As noted, only those U-Turns are illegal which interfere with oncoming traffic so close as to constitute and immediate hazard. Also as noted above a biker going 80+ mph is not so close as to constitute an immediate hazard, and has the right of way.
    Bottom line: another needless accident due to bad driving. This one highlights the type of bad driving behavior that bikers always seem to get blamed for even though it is not always their fault.

@Unknown…first of all the speed of 80MPH is here say, to start with, the victim is being victimized again.
    I could not tell with exactitude at what mileage per hour a car is passing by myself with such an exactitude. Only a destailed tech investigation can tell was his speed was. Also the victim is from VA and probably the one making a careless UTurn on incoming traffic is probably a local and out of Java Joint were her peers frequent. Sure she will have a lot of sympathizers to swear on her behalf..
    The biker family should have a case here of death by accident caused not by his speed, but by the careless Uturn on A1A. Is time that responsibility should be laid were it belongs. I have witness myself many times, were some vehicle drivers are out there just for the road kill wether wild life or people unfortunately. If a biker,cyclist or “jogger” as I have seeing, are going to fast they should be fined…not killed.

• LeighAnn Koch says:

Dear “PalmCoaster” – I was a first-hand witness. I minimalized when I said he was going 80 – when he passed us my first words were that he had to be going 80-100 mph. There’s no denying that speed. No hearsay, and I tend to underestimate things to be safe. When I hear an engine revving upwards that fast for that long, I’m going to take a look at what’s going on, because there’s a good chance it’s going to end badly. This block is a congested area on Fridays especially, with many cars & people because there is a popular coffee shop, a beautiful beach & a restaurant. The speed limit is 45, yet people often slow & stop for Java Joint, dozens make u-turns daily to get back there.

• Ben Dover says:

@Palm coaster the fact the guy flew 180 feet through the air is very telling of how fast he was going , she prolly never saw him coming.

• just me says:

ARE YO FOR REAL????

11. Kimmy says:

The streets here are dangerous when your driving in a car! Forget about riding a bike, I fear for my life every day on these streets, everyone is in a rush.

This is what some “road kill drivers”do to bikers, cyclist, joggers, pedestrians and wild life as well in Florida now:
    ttp://www.news-journalonline.com/breakingnews/2012/03/port-orange-man-killed-in-motorcycle-crash-near-ormond-beach.htmlh
    We need harder punishment and stricter laws for this type of drivers as human as well as animal lives can’t be replaced.

PalmCoaster I am sorry that you seem to have such a hard time digesting that fact that this man was speeding far over the speed limit. Whether it be 60mps or 100mph that is far too fast to be driving a motorcycle especially down busy A1A. Had the biker been going the speed limit he could have possibly escaped this accident. It is an unfortunate incident, I just dont think that it is fair for the driver to be held respoinsible or be blamed when clearly the biker was driving recklessly to start with. His own fait lied in his hands when he chose to speed on a bike and not wear a helmet? For him it was a risk he was willing to take and the result is extremely unfortunate for everyone involved.

14. Caw says:

The bike was going north at a high rate of speed then turned around just north of marina bay and got on it. Having spent 25 plus years racing bikes I would have to say he was closer to 100. Senseless tragedy for all involved. Hubby and I both said just waiting to hear a crash. Still hear bikes flying by. Sad for all involved

15. Canon says:

There is more to this story than is being said here. The cyclist was racing up and down A1A. I saw him go by a few times “red lining” it going north and I herd him hit his rev limiter shifting from 3rd gear into 4th. The first time he came by hauling ass I said what an idiot! The second time, I said what a stupid idiot! And then BAM! This women pulled out in front of him but he was literally Drag Racing, not just cruising at a high rate of speed! These guys give us responsible riders a bad name!

• .... says:

You can’t really tell when someone is redlining. …

• Canon says:

Actually you can because these bikes are set up with “rev limiters” and they will interrupt the spark going to the cylinder making a very distinctive sound. You actually hear the engine being shut down electronically about 3-4 times a second while hitting the rev limiter. And, the only way to get to the rev limiter is Togo past the “red line”!

• Anonymous says:

The bike does over 90 mph in first gear so how could he be” redlining ” 3rd and 4th if he was only doing between 80-100 mph? Please explain