| January 1, 2013

codie ray barlow motorcycle wreck

Florida Highway Patrol investigators as Mary Haisley saw them–and took the picture–through her front window this morning, analyzing the wreck that claimed the life of 20-year-old Codie Ray Barlow.

Cody Ray Barlow, a 20-year-old resident of Pebble Beach Drive in Palm Coast, was killed early this morning, barely three hours into the new year, as he missed a curve and drove his motorcycle into a mailbox on Pacific Drive, just 1.2 miles from his house. The wreck took place at 3:30 this morning (Jan. 1).

codie ray barlow fpc wreck fatality

Codie Barlow in a portrait from his sophomore year at Flagler Palm Coast High School.

A resident on that street heard it but mistook it for people messing with the neighbor’s mailbox, as had happened before. The resident was aghast at the scene in her front yard when she discovered Barlow’s body there at 7:30.

“This is weird,” Mary Haisley, who’s lived at 59 Pacific Drive since 2006, said. “I heard somebody breaking into my garage door. Then I look outside. I went and made coffee, because I’m an early riser, and I looked outside and said oh, somebody hit Dorothy’s mailbox again. So I didn’t think much of it. I went out and even got the newspaper.” It was very dark. She could not see Barlow’s body, which was a few feet past a hedge of plants, in the middle of Haisley’s yard. The motorcycle, as she would later discover in daylight, was further toward her neighbor’s yard on this residential street of close-cropped houses.

When she’d gotten the paper, she’d noticed shards of debris that she thought could have been part of a vehicle, and wondered whether to call 911. But she figured it was New Year’s, “they’re going to think I’m nuts about somebody hitting a mailbox.” So she didn’t call.

Click On:

“Then I woke up at 7:30 and say, well, I’m going to go see the damage,” assuming until then that it was still just the mailbox. “Then I saw his body. I ran in the house, called 911. Oh my God, my reaction–I couldn’t even–the dispatcher, I’m crying, screaming, it was devastating.” She described Barlow as she saw him, with shattering injuries to his face and skull. “It was devastating,” she said repeatedly.

A Florida Highway Patrol homicide investigator said he estimated the speed Barlow was traveling at 50 to 60 miles per hour.

“We don’t know where he’s coming from, where he was going,” the investigator said. “He didn’t have his helmet on. He was northbound on Pacific, and he was 290 feet south of Park View Drive, he just failed to negotiate the curve.” Pacific is a short street that hooks off of Parkview Drive and to Parkway Drive at the northern end of Palm Coast’s P Section. Pacific runs east-west, curving north-south at its eastern end, where the wreck took place.

Barlow struck a plastic mailbox at 57 Pacific. The mailbox was surrounded by decorative stones and a sizable planter, most of which were shattered and scattered over the two properties’ front yards. One part of the mailbox ended up between 57 and 59, while the stem of the mailbox was nearer the swale of 59. The motorcycle, a 2007 Honda CBR 1000 that belonged to Barlow, was on its side nearer 61 Pacific.

Barlow’s parents had last seen their son at 9:30 on New Year’s eve. He was at his house with his girlfriend. His mother works the night shift, according to a Florida Highway Patrol investigator. When she came home in the morning, the garage door was open and the motorcycle was gone. Nothing further is known about what motivated Barlow to ride his bike in a neighborhood where investigators were told he had no friends. It’s possible that he had an argument with his girlfriend, an investigator said. “Until we talk to the girlfriend, we won’t know,” the investigator said. She has not been located as yet: Barlow’s parents did not have an accurate last name for her or know her whereabouts, and investigators are still searching.

Barlow was thought by some neighbors to have served in the military, because a military insignia was found on his motorcycle, but his parents told investigators that he had not been a serviceman.

Investigators said Barlow’s death was likely immediate, because of the violence of the impact and the injuries to his head. They told Haisley that reporting the accident earlier was unlikely to have made a difference. “When he got ejected he hit his head on that mailbox plus hit that concrete culvert so I think it was pretty well instant,” an investigator said.

The location of the mailbox at 57 Pacific Drive, the point of impact in the wreck. Click on the image for larger view. (© FlaglerLive)

Some of the debris by the culvert investigators believe Barlow struck after the collision with the mailbox. Click on the image for larger view. (© FlaglerLive)

The mailbox after it was partially reassembled. Click on the image for larger view. (© FlaglerLive)

34 Responses for “Codie Barlow, 20, Killed in Bike Wreck on Palm Coast’s Pacific Dr. in Earliest Hours of 2013”

1. Jeanette says:

I worked with Codie at hurricane pattys as well all the way up until the day te reataurant shut down, the last day that i would ever see him alive again. im in absolute shock. he was such a sweet, innocent and brilliant young man. Always smiling and had great plans for his future :( I loved and miss working with him. I also find it strange that he did not have a helmet on becuz he always, always had a helmet on and his bike jacket, but it’s a sad day for all us, his friends and family. R.I.P. Codie

the p section has an awful lot of wreckless bikers riding in it…i know-i live close to the accident scene

3. kathy kauth says:

Florida has the second highest rate of motorcycle fatalities in the country, second only to Texas. These stats to not reflect the large number of permanently injured bikers who now reside in nursing homes and residential facilities due to permanent brain damage. Helmet laws will not eliminate these tragedies, but will reduce them. Likewise, Florida does not require annual vehicle inspections of autos and motorbikes thus accounting for many autos and bikes which are dangerous to the operators and to the public. Who is running this crazy state?

• kathy kauth says:

BTW, each Florida county has the right [and obviously the duty] to impose these regulations. So, who is running this crazy county?

4. Dave says:

I really know this kid. He was going to be a Cardiologist. He always wore a helmet, but for a short local ride…been there myself. Just a terrible thing that happened. Let’s just leave it at that. I hope his poor mother or grandparents do not read some of these comments from people whom do not think before they speculate. This is a great boy with a spectacular future that was torn away and will never be fully understood. There will never be meaning to this and to blindly guess is unfortunate. I am just sorry he is gone.

• Kathie says:

Dave, please tell Chris how sorry I am that he lost his friend. I know that you were close to Codie, too, as I am with my kids’ friends – you and I always have our kids’ friends at our homes and they become like one of our own. You are right about the comments here – people have a difficult time with commenting appropriately and the speculating is simply unnecessary and unfounded. From what I’ve read on here from people who actually KNEW this amazing young man, he was a GREAT kid who was typically responsible and not at all careless. He just made a mistake that was NOT typical of him and it cost him his life, sadly. I’ll keep everyone in my prayers – and, again, I’m so very very sorry for everyone’s loss. I can’t imagine what his family and yours are going through.
      Hugs, love and prayers ~ Kath’

5. michelle says:

Some of the comments on here are horrible. This person was related to me. There is NO HELMET LAW in Florida. Before you stand on your soap box and preach about helmet laws…..This is an accident, a horrible accident and someone died. Shame on you people.

• Eric says:

Michelle, I am very sorry for your loss and that of the rest of your family’s. Please do not let some of the comments on here upset you. These comments are from people who are heartless and quite frankly have nothing better to do with their time besides bring others down. Once again, my condolences to you and your family.

6. anonymous 3 says:

This was a terrible accident and a helmet would not have saved Codie’s life. Codie was very familiar with that curve as he used to skate-board Pacific Drive with his friends on a daily basis. There were other factors that may have been involved in this tragedy. Two young men were seen setting off large rockets, and guns and fire-crackers were going all night into the early morning creating a hazardous cloud of smoke. I thought it was fog, until I smelled the gun-powder. There was also a car with a very loud muffler and a louder radio with a bass that shook the house speeding around the neighborhood and got my dog to barking around 3 in the morning. Since Codie was familiar with the curve, it would be more likely that Codie was driven off the road by another vehicle on a curve which many take on the wrong side of the road. Pure speculation, I know, but Codie knew that the curve was there.

A memorial has been created at the scene of the accident. Everyone who knew Codie commented on what a responsible, courteous, and good human being he was. My deepest condolences to Codie’s family and friends.

• Codie was a young man to be proud of.LOVED HIS FAMILY work went to school alway there for his brother and sister allways showed respect never saw him smoke or drink what can i say we all would thank GOD for a child like CODIE WE will miss CODIE SWEET SMILE

7. David Barlow says:

Codie Ray Barlow was my son and will always be my son!! Time has gone by but not a day has gone by that I didn’t think of him, miss him and LOVE him!!! Nikki ,Ray , and Debbie you raised a fine man and I am truly sorry for you loss!!! I loved him and I will forever love and miss him!!! R.I.P Codie!!! Dad loves you and will forever miss you!!!!!

8. shaina says:

Oceans Dental would like to send out our condolences to Cody’s family and friends. He was just in our office and he had his helmet in tote. We are so sorry for your loss!

9. Zack says:

I dont know about yall, but Codie was one of my best friends. I look forward to seeing him again when my time comes. I miss you, best friend. (Sorry for the loss Momma!) :’(