| April 7, 2012

Three sides of Anthony Rogers, who died this morning on Matanzas Woods Parkway.

For the second time in less than 24 hours, Matanzas Woods Parkway in north Palm Coast was the scene of a violent crash involving a motorcycle.

At 2:30 this morning (April 7), Anthony Rogers, a 19-year-old Palm Coast resident of Philox Lane in Palm Coast, was killed as he was riding his 1995 Suzuki west on Matanzas Woods. Riding with him was 17-year-old Lauren Kashtan, also of Palm Coast. She suffered serious injuries and was taken to Florida Hospital Flagler.

According to the Florida Highway Patrol, Rogers failed to negotiate a curve as he rode on Matanzas Woods, and collided with a palm tree.

Just 14 hours earlier, Robert O’Conner, who was riding his Harley north on U.S.1, collided with an older driver, Richard Henderson Deeves, 88, as Deeves drove out of Matanzas Woods Parkway and cut off O’Conner’s right of way. O’Conner was taken to Halifax hospital in critical condition, where he remains. Both are from Palm Coast.

Rogers had not been having an easy time of it, repeatedly falling in and out of trouble with the law over the past two years, and as recently as two weeks ago, when he was jailed over a marijuana possession charge and violating his probation. He’d been in jail over half a dozen times since 2010, repeatedly on charges of aggravated battery, armed burglary, assaulting law enforcement officers and other more minor offenses.

“Man i try so hard but shit never works out for me..some times i just wanna give up..but i keep my head up..i tell myself all the time i can do it but what am i doing,” he wrote on his Facebook page on March 16. The few pictures on his page show him fond of drinking, of which he wrote often. But he was also in need of company: “need some one to talkto:((,” he wrote on March 21.

Two days latter, he announced that he’d gotten a job, only to be locked up two days later. His next to last posting (his last was about the song “Drank In My Cup” by Kirko Bangs) read: “just got off work..long day got work tomorrow..about to go chill.”

“Anthony wanted to turn his life around, a few weeks ago he was telling me he was going to find a job and get his G.E.D. and try to go to college,” Justin Thomas, a friend, wrote. “You always had my back. You were a good friend. R.I.P. Anthony Rogers your in a better place now.”

Just two hours before Rogers was killed, someone had posted: “Miss yaa!!” Late Saturday afternoon, Kashtan posted on Rogers’s wall: “I love you guys and I love you baby boy, RIP.” The words were followed by the symbol for a broken heart.

anthony rogers

57 Responses for “Anthony Rogers, Troubled Man Trying to Right His Life, Is Killed in Bike Wreck On Matanzas”

1. abba1107 says:

My thoughts and prayers go out to Chuck and Terry his parents and his brother and sister

• Jason and Shanna Buie says:

Our thoughts and prayers go out to all of Ant’s loved ones!! We don’t care about his flaws for we all have them everyone of us.. we are not to judge that young man was a son, a brother a cousin and a friend. He will be sorely missed by many!!!! Hang in there Rogers family u will get through this!!!!

• Anonymous says:

I miss em so much man it aint even funnny and my brotha was not fucking troubled he was fucking young! everyone makes mistakes..

2. Julie Davis says:

Heartbreaking. Prayers going out to the whole Rogers family.

3. Justin Thomas says:

R.I.P. Anthony, you are now with GOD!

4. Ralph Belcher says:

Is the son of Commissioner John Rogers?

• FlaglerLive says:

Ralph, Anthony Rogers is no relation to John Rogers, the commissioner, though we understand he’s been getting quite a few inquiries about it.

5. britt roth says:

I’m goin to miss u ant. Its too hard to believe ur gone. R.I.P anthony dale rogers!!!
    U will a l w a y s be remembered and u will NEVER! be forgotten… love ya

6. sadinpalmcoast says:

So sad to hear lives taken my heart goes to out to all families involved

It breaks my heart that we spend trillions out there policing the world and helping the needy in other countries, but do not address and take care the needs of our own young and old. This young American fellow man needed help for his addiction and or his depression but looks like that was none available for him in time to save him.
    The Almighty keep him by his side and help his family and friends to cope with his loss.

8. Sterling Westbrook says:

All my prayers go out to his famliy expecially my best friend
    Stormy who I was just talking to this is her cousin I love u girl keep ur head held high and I’m hear for u when ever u need me <3

• Stormy Kay Branning says:

if you look on face book of the croos MY DAD MADE HIMSELF , Friends and family put things on .. I put a tedy bear with a note in it and my family bout Flowers to put every where around it I WILL MISS U SOO MUCH ANTHONY U WILL ALWAYS HAVE A SPESHA; PLACE IN MY HEART….. All i have left of him is pics and a part of the modercycle light….. Let this be a lesson for every one . WERE HELMETSS!!! <3 R.I.P ANTHONY I LOVE U

• Sterling Westbrook says:

Stormy its not working <3

9. Stormy Kay Branning says:

THE PERSON WHO SAID MISS YA…. IT WAS MY SISTER WE ARE DEVISTATED!

10. R.I.P ANTHONY

11. WE WILL MISS U

12. jim haug says:

Loss of another fine young life. I know that when I was that age and had not accepted my demons of my gender confusion, I acted out in different ways. Help should be out there for these young people no matter what thier issues.

13. Hmmmm says:

Why is it when Darrin Giddens died everyone had so much to say about his thug life but when another thug dies no one wants to talk bad about him….

• Corey Branning says:

I will tell you why … I myself did not KNow Darrin Giddens but Can tell you Anthony was NO Thug. . Yes we might Have done stupid things but Only have had the charges because THat is what the “Law” defines… So befor you Are so quick to pass judgement why don’t you sit back and watch how MUCH Love is P0ured out into the Community for him … I will NEver not defend HIm ,,, He has and always will be my little brother…

• Brihanna says:

first & foremost, his name was DARIUS. & secondly, these are DEATHS. Why are we so worried about if the person was a “thug” or how they lived their life? Everyone lives their own life & regardless their actions shouldn’t be judged or discussed after death – that’s not our place that’s GODS. Both of these people “thug” or not had close relatives & people that LOVED them. Where’s the respect?

• concerned citizen says:

THANK YOU BRIHANNA….EVERYONE IS SO WORRIED ABOUT HOW YOUNG PEOPLE LIVE THEIR LIVES, THEY ARE FORGETTING THAT THEY HAVE A MOTHER AND A FATHER. YOU CAN TALK TO YOUR FAMILY MEMBERS TIL YOU’RE BLUE IN THE FACE ABOUT THE THINGS THEY ARE DOING WRONG IN THEIR LIVES, IT WON’T MAKE A BIT OF DIFFERENCE UNTIL THEY WANT TO DO BETTER…. THANK YOU FOR POINTING THAT OUT TO THE WRITERS……..AND I AGREE…”WHERE’S THE RESPECT FOR THE PARENTS”, SUPPOSE IT WAS YOUR CHILD, THEN WHAT……..WRITERS YOU NEED TO CHECK YOURSELVES BEFORE YOU PASS JUDGEMENT ON SOMEONE ELSE’S FAMILY MEMBER, I’M SURE YOU HAVE FAMILY MEMBERS OUT THERE DOING THINGS TOO, BUT HAVEN’T GOT CAUGHT.

MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS GOES OUT TO THE PARENTS AND OTHER FAMILY MEMBERS OF THIS YOUNG MAN. I PRAY GOD GIVES YOU STRENGTH TO MAKE IT THRU THIS TRAGIC LOSS…GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

14. Outsider says:

I send my prayers to the family and friends of this young man. Having seen people with addictions and such, it is not possible to drag someone to help when they are not willing to accept it. I don’t know if that applies in this case, but it is not always appropriate to blame society when something like this happens; the person is not always willing to accept the help that is out there.

15. shana edwards says:

to yall that wanted to put he was a troubled man , that was NONE of ur buisnessss to if he was in trouble or not ! u guys didnt know him like how we did ! he was a good boy & he was trying to do soooo good now ! & its just kills me to know now hes gone ! i miss u anthony n forever will u be missed ! R.I.P ANTHONY ROGERS !!!!!! ♥ LOVE ; shana edwards