| May 23, 2012

Trey Corbett's sign lies face down after it was defaced by a man who didn't like the way Corbett allegedly treated him at the gym. (© FlaglerLive)

Trey Corbett's sign lies face down at Belle Terre Parkway and State Road 100, one of the more popular spot for campaign sprouts, after it was defaced by a man who didn't like the way Corbett allegedly treated him at the gym. (© FlaglerLive)

Steven Paskewich is a 65-year-old resident of Rocking Lane in Palm Coast. He works out at Thriv, the fitness center  Fitness on Commerce Boulevard. That may be relevant, considering what a Flagler County Sheriff’s deputy saw Paskewich doing Tuesday evening.

It was about 8:30 p.m. Paskewich was in shorts, shirtless, when, according to a police report, he took out a can of black spray paint and smeared the word “asshole” on a campaign sign in the small forest of signs at the intersection of State Road 100 and Belle Terre Parkway. Then he got in his car, drove down to SR100 and Seminole Woods Parkway, and did the same thing to a sign there.

Steven Paskewich.

Both signs belonged to Trey Corbett, one of four Republican candidates vying to challenge incumbent Supervisor of Elections Kimberle Weeks.

Corbett doesn’t exactly know Paskewich. He recalls seeing him three times at Thriv, where Corbett works out. He has not had conversations with the man. He has no idea why the man did what he did. But Corbett relayed what a deputy told him after asking Paskewich about the spraying. “He said yeah, he works out at the same gym that you do and he said that you’re an ass because you cut him off a couple of times at the weight machine,” Corbett said, quoting the deputy.

“I never use the weight machine by the way because at home I use a $2,800 Bowflex,” said Corbett, who prides himself on being fit (“I’m a workout machine, I’m 45 years old, I guarantee I’m in the best shape of anybody running”).  He uses other fitness equipment at the gym that he doesn’t have at home. “So either this man is very unstable for some reason and is projecting a lot of anger at me,” Corbett said, “or he knows some other candidate” and he’s directing his anger at Corbett.

Paskewich did not return a call and a message left at his home. Weeks said she did not know Paskewich, and that he is not a registered voter in Flagler County.

One of the defaced signs. Click on the image for larger view. (Trey Corbett)

Corbett said a third sign was defaced similarly near Old Kings Elementary, and was immediately removed to prevent children from seeing it. The two other signs were felled in place face down until they were to be replaced. The signs are valued at about $60 each, though that includes the wooden frame, which was not damaged.

When Paskewich was pulled over by a deputy along SR100, he was arrested for criminal mischief. A Smith and Wesson firearm was found in his vehicle, along with 18 live .38-caliber rounds. Paskewich refused to provide a written statement on the incident, though he spoke to a deputy. His SUV was towed by Roger’s Towing.

Signs are frequently vandalized at election time. They’re usually torn down, stolen, or thrown in the bushes. While candidates and their supporters will make allegations about who’s messing with their signs, culprits are rarely fingered, because they have to be seen in the act. In this case, Sheriff’s detective Brian Finn saw Paskewich spray-painting the signs along SR100—one of the busiest locations in the city.

Last August, a similar-sized campaign sign for then-Palm Coast City Council member Holsey Moorman was defaced with a coat of brown paint applied to most of the sign’s surface. No culprit was found.

“Nearly every election, regardless of whether it’s state or local, we receive complaints of political signs being vandalized,” said Flagler County Sheriff Don Fleming, whose own sign stood near Corbett’s, unmolested. “We will continue to be vigilant in protecting these signs.”

Beyond what Paskewich told deputies, Corbett was still curious why the man would go to such lengths to literally smear his face (though Corbett, who’d been contacted by numerous news organization, clearly was not unhappy about the publicity). “People should operate in the arena of ideas than vandalism,” he said.

54 Responses for “Upset That Trey Corbett Had Cut Him Off at the Gym, 65-Year-Old Defaces His Campaign Sign”

1. Donna De Poalo says:

oh good grief

• jenifer lopez says:

Mr Corbett please what college did you graduate from please enlighten all of us. That has not been revealed in your campaign. I did the goggle thing for your profile, no college.

2. Amy T. says:

Why did Corbett find it necessary to announce the cost of his Bowflex? Then he goes on to brag about what great shape he is in? I’m not excusing the old guy but it sounds like his characterization of Corbett might not be far off…

What goes around comes around…Extremist Conservative Tea Party Paul Ryan Congressman is also a Gym workaholic and a GOP as well…too bad that he uses his muscle mass, to attack the less fortunate and benefit the already wealthy

4. Meh says:

He looks pretty good for 65 years old…

Oh and it’s good to see another tow company getting some action for a change. I guess because bunnell police dept wasn’t involved.

5. Nero Fiddled..... says:

I have to laugh…. “workout machine” I’ve seen this guy at the gym. He’s a pencil neck. Although the spray painter is a fool and was not justified in any way for doing what he did. Corbett is full of himself. I could see him doing what the painter says.

• Trey Corbett says:

Well, I don’t deny I said that I don’t use the weights at the gym because I have my own workout equipment. That was the evidence to rebut the statement that I got in front of this guy on a weight machine. I simply said I have my own and don’t lift at the gym. I may be a pencil neck. I enjoy staying in shape. I’m not rude. I don’t believe myself any more important than anyone else. I care about my community. I give time and effort to local charities for the sake of giving. I’m by no means perfect. I am an honorably discharged Army Airborne guy. That doesn’t make me an extremist. I have almost died three times in my life folks. You gain a perspective of mortality and understand your no more important than your next breath…and you smile when you can. I respect you all for voicing your opinions of me. Another reason I love this country: Freedom of speech. Think what you will of me. I am not hard to get along with and will give you polite answers for my views. Instead of raising my voice, I reenforce my arguments. If anyone has questions of the man life has made me, I am willing to answer. I laugh at myself. I love my mom. My family is important. I do go to church, though I am certainly not perfect or claim to know everything. I provide employment to folks who work hard and I care about them as well. I have mopped floors and flipped burgers in my day. I respect all who work hard and take pride in whatever that work may be. I busted my butt to pay for college. I have handled multi million dollar budgets in operations and then taken the trash out with those cleaning up at the end of the day. Every life is important and has value and should be given dignity. I may disagree with some, but I do so respectfully. Should anyone actually want to know the truth about an issue. Pierre knows how to get in touch with me. Otherwise, enjoy the rants…some are quite entertaining. But please, no violence or vandalism to anyone who runs. They put themselves out there for ridicule and vetting by people who have never met them or make snap judgements based on bits of information which hardly put the puzzle of a life into perspective. Enjoy this time of year gang. It’s beautiful where we live!!!–Trey :)

Trey Corbett is a very nice man so before you all make snotty comments about him maybe you should meet him first so you can see for yourself!

7. An ass in every crowd. You are the gentleman as always Trey.

8. wsh302@msn.com says:

amy that is the first thing i thought of and it puzzles me why he said what he said

9. pclocal says:

First of all, you cant take everything that people write as gospel. Most interviews are taken out of context and edited in order to make them controversial or interesting. Especially in a small town like PC where just about nothing interesting happens.
    I personally know Trey and know that there is no way that he would “cut an older man off at a machine”. I personally know several people who Trey has encouraged and helped get in shape who many other people wouldnt take the time to do.. While doing it with no benefit to him at all.
    Although Trey is very confident, he is also a good guy and goes WAY out his way to help people. The entire reason that he is running for office is so that he can make changes that this county and country desperately need.

10. Fisherman says:

Man, politics seem to bring out the best and the worst in people! I will tell you that I know Trey and he is a good person. He is a very hard worker, very patriotic being a veteran himself, and a has kind heart. I have no doubt that the comments about the bow flex was just Trey making small talk and joking with the writer of this article, and it was intentionally quoted in such a way to make him look self centered, which he is not.
    And what is wrong with being in good shape? Some of these comments by the readers try to make it sound like a bad thing that the guy is in good shape. When I see a person that looks physically fit, I see a determined hard worker.
    And to the guy that called him a pencil neck, I’ll bet $100 he smokes you in a 3 mile run!

• Anonymous says:

I’ll take that $100 bet. I checked his 5K time from the October 2012 race in Plam Coast. 35:11. Maybe he was walking? I’m almost ten years older than him and about 10 minutes faster. Lets bet!

11. Tim says:

Corbett seems like a jerk! He must be a 1%-er. In fact he’s probably a .05%-er, who pays $2800 for an over price workout machine? ( my car didn’t cost $2800) Why not buy one off Craigslist for $400.

I would take Weeks over him any day. HEY GUESS WHAT It is almost my favorite time of the year, Budget Season. Looking forward to see Weeks, coffey and the board of county commission spar .

• Who Knows says:

Will this be how Trey spends tax dollars if elected? Sounds like a big spender to me. I agree with you Tim.

12. Ambroz says:

I don’t like to get into online debates, but I feel compelled to say something. I’ve known Trey Corbett for several years and he is one of the kindest, most helpful and gentle people I’ve ever met. He is definitely not full of himself. He is educated, smart, yet humble. For those who have doubts about him, please get acquainted with his credentials. Trey is very accessible, so please meet him, and I’m confident you will agree he’s a great candidate and person.

13. knowsalittle says:

I’ve met Corbett a couple of times and all he talks about is himself and how great he thinks he is. Maybe this guy should have spray painted Narcissist on the signs because that’s what Corbett is. Just based on the couple of brief encounters I’ve had, he won’t be getting my vote.

14. gatorfan1 says:

things are obviously slow in mayberry.

15. gatorfan1 says:

good one amy t and nero……i wouldn’t vote for that guy now if he were runniny for dog catcher. a tad too narcissist for me.