| November 17, 2017

The crashed vehicle silhouetted against a passing truck in the southbound lanes of I-95 just south of Palm Coast Parkway. (© FlaglerLive)

Hannah Beard, 10, of Palm Coast, was killed, her mother Nichole Michelle Beard, 37, is in critical condition, and her brother, Masen Beard, 11, along with Thomas Rando, 31, are in serious condition following a single-vehicle crash on I-95 just past the southbound merging ramp from Palm Coast Parkway.

Hannah attended Bunnell Elementary, as does her brother.

The crash took place at 6:39 p.m., involving a dark-colored Ford F-150 that lost control, rolled and ended up on its flank, on the driver’s side, facing north in the grassy shoulder next to the center guard rails.

A child’s bicycle rested a few dozen feet north of the vehicle.

Hannah Beard in an image from her Facebook page.

Hannah Beard in an image from her Facebook page.

Rando told investigators that he was merging onto I-95 when he may have struck an object that was in his lane of travel. The Ford then veered across all three lanes of the highway, struck the center guardrail and overturned, according to a Florida Highway Patrol report.

The fatality could not be confirmed until the medical examiner arrived at the scene and paramedics removed the body. Paramedics may not remove bodies at crash scenes before a medical examiner’s arrival, which can often take hours. The medical examiner travels from St. Augustine and is responsible for covering four counties.

Rando, Nichole Beard and Masen Beard were taken by ambulance to Halifax hospital in Daytona Beach.

The Flagler County Sheriff was first on scene but turned over the investigation to the Florida Highway Patrol, several of whose troopers were at the scene. Flagler County Fire Rescue transported the victims to the hospital. The Palm Coast Fire Department also responded, as did the Palm Coast Fire Police, which regulated traffic.

Southbound traffic was reduced to one lane, causing a considerable back-up north of Palm Coast Parkway. Traffic from the parkway onto I-95 south was diverted to Old Kings Road, which itself developed a back-up from the traffic light at Town Center Boulevard north.

“We’re in the process of reaching out to the family to see what they may need from us,” Jason Wheeler, the school district’s chief spokesperson, said Saturday morning. Counselors will be at Bunnell Elementary school on Monday to assist staff or any parents who may want to stop in, even though the district is on a week-long recess for Thanksgiving. “We will definitely have a crisis-intervention team ready on the following Monday after the Thanksgiving holiday,” Wheeler said.

The crash scene this evening at I-95 just south of Palm Coast Parkway. (© FlaglerLive)

A bicycle at the crash scene, a few dozen feet north of the vehicle. The bicycle was reportedly in or on top of the vehicle. (© FlaglerLive)

Emergency responders at the scene. (© FlaglerLive)

Emergency responders at the scene. (© FlaglerLive)

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

14 Responses for “Hannah Beard, 10, Is Killed, 3 Seriously Hurt in Single-Car Crash on I-95 South of Palm Coast Parkway”

1. Dawn says:

Prayers for all of those involved. Especially for the parents/family of the young child that lost their life.So sad 😞 to hear.

2. Jenn says:

How horrible

3. girl says:

RIP and prayers to all involved

Such a Tragedy. May the Lord be with the family and help them to get through this. We as mere mortals never understand these tragedies, but we have to have faith that God is there and is in control.

5. Addison says:

I miss her I wish she will come back I wish it wasn’t true but it turns out it is.😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

6. Kodie says:

Thanks everyone for your support and prayers. Happy Thanksgiving

7. The Original Mama -Dukes says:

I feel sorry for the kids but you Ms Nicholle Michelle Steiner Beard hope you reap what you sow

8. Bonnie😢 says:

God Bless You little sweet girl🙏 I will miss you and your brother , walking past my house everyday,You both loved my Halloween decorations😘I Know you are flying with the Angels above😢🙏I Pray your brother has a speedy recovery🙏🙏And your family too.and will be praying🙏R.I.P. Hannah❤️🙏

9. Keirra says:

I miss her already 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭 Amen Hanna 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

10. joselynn says:

she went to my school she was on the girls wrestling team last year she was really good I also know her broth hope he gets better same with there mom…nobody should die that young nobody at all. I miss her so much

11. Nichole beard says:

She did love your house we will miss all the wonderful people that lived by us thank you for your support

12. Anonymous44 says:

Preach on mama. I’m glad one other person knows what’s really going on. She cares so much? But she’s still with him? If she wasn’t so high, she would’ve been driving, not him. But I guess either way, something could’ve happened.

13. Anonymous44 says:

Here we are, 8 months later and neither of them have been charged?! Why? She needs to be charged with at least neglect!

14. Nichols beard says:

For one I was not high I was a well respected member of the community a manager of a salon and a single mom because my ex tried to kill us in a house fire you people don’t know me or how we lived so respect my daughter and do not trash us you know what media tells you not the truth my kids are and always will be my world so let God judge me and keep your judgments to yourself