Snap-and-Run: Sheriff Looking for Driver Who Sheared Off Red-Light Camera Pole

| September 7, 2013

Knocked down. (© FlaglerLive)

Knocked down. (© FlaglerLive)

The Flagler County Sheriff’s Office is seeking the public’s assistance in locating a vehicle captured on video that struck an ATS red light traffic camera pole on Moody Boulevard (State Road 100) at the intersection of Memorial Medical Parkway in Palm Coast. The pole belongs to American Traffic Solutions, the Arizona-based company that runs the red-light spy-and-snap camera system for Palm Coast.

Deputies responded to the crash that occurred at about 3:35 p.m. Thursday afternoon. The vehicle involved in the incident can be seen in the video traveling eastbound on Moody Boulevard and then running off onto the shoulder of the road, striking the pole and shearing it from its base. Deputies believe the vehicle may be a 2011 or newer pearl-white Kia Optima and should be missing the passenger side mirror.

Deputies recovered a white mirror and chrome trim believed to be from the vehicle.

It is unlikely that the driver was intentionally targeting the ATS pole, though spy traffic cameras have become so unpopular that vandalism against them is now frequent in other jurisdictions. ATS has installed 43 such cameras in Palm Coast, issuing upwards of 500 tickets a week last spring. The profits are shared unevenly: the state takes more than half of the revenue from the $158 tickets, ATS takes the next-largest share, with a combined take of around $3 million a year. Palm Coast nets about $360,000.

Video footage of the incident was obtained from a second red light camera located on the westbound side of Moody Boulevard near the intersection of Memorial Medical Parkway. Deputies are asking that anyone with information to contact Sgt. Michael Van Buren of the Sheriff’s Office Traffic Unit at 386-313-4911.

Footage of the Collision

Get the Flash Player to see the wordTube Media Player.

43 Responses for “Snap-and-Run: Sheriff Looking for Driver Who Sheared Off Red-Light Camera Pole”

1. Jenn says:

It’s a white Kia Forte, and they are my hero.

2. Donna De Poalo says:

Oh. Oops. ;-)

3. Genie says:

It looks as if several slowed down and may have even pulled over, as well. This should not take too long to figure out.

4. Really? says:

This guy should be given a reward… stupid cameras are taking millions out of out local economy… knock them all down I say

5. John Adams says:

Who is going to help track down this hero?

6. Florida Native says:

That’s one way to get rid of them dadburn things. Great job 2011 or newer Kia Optima.

7. PC Mom says:

Our hero!! ;)

I’m just kidding y’all….

8. Ben Dover says:

Wish I could claim responsibility for it,I have a good heavy steel cow catcher on front of my jeep , I could take them out all along that road and not damage my truck , only they`d see the glee on my face as I did it and bust me , Id never be lucky enough to get away with it, but they definitely need to go , they should be the ones getting arrested , especially putting one by the emergency room to a hospital , how freakin low can you get , that one by hospital issues the most tickets too , people are in a panic a loved one is either in the car with them injured going to ER or already in Er and they got the call to come down , either way how low can these dirt bags get to try and kick people when they are down, I just don t get it , how can this be legal

9. orphan says:

Snicker. :)

10. Snappy says:

Snap-and-run…………Why didn’t someone think of this sooner? TICKET ? TICKET ? I don’t need no STINKING TICKET !!!!!!

11. tom jack says:

They ALL need to be destroyed.

12. John B says:

They have the audacity to ask for a “snitch” to catch this individual who did this. These cameras have caused so much pain to residents especially people who don’t even have money for food. Tear them down.

13. Geezer says:

Thank you, Kia Optima driver.
    I live vicariously through you.
    THANK YOU.

Danke
    Gracias
    Spasibo
    Grazie
    Dziekuje
    Merci

14. L.D. Ablo says:

One down twenty something to go!

15. RHWeir says:

I’d like to shake that person’s hand! Given the dent in the car, won’t be had to locate it.

16. Josh says:

Great job!! I need a steel tube filled with concrete to put on my diesel truck :)

17. mike says:

I’m taking my frustration out on the brand new landscaping all in Palm Coast.

18. blondee says:

Someday when you or someone you love is the victim of a hit & run, or some other crime, you’ll be damn glad those cameras exist.

• NortonSmitty says:

But not today Blondie darling! Today I would like to buy this man a drink if I knew him. If he gets arrested, I would first like to put money into his commissary jail account while I organize a Legal Defense Fund to pay his Lawyer bills. You guys posting here with me?

19. Henry says:

The driver could have been drunk at the time, but when they catch up to him now he will just say, “Sorry, I was trying to pull over because there was a bee in the car.”

Cameras are not a substitute for having live traffic officers patrolling the streets.

20. Genie says:

After reading the comments, maybe it won’t be so easy to find this car! :-)

• Mike says:

You all are the first ones to call ATS and the City to request footage when involved in an accident. Lawyers, Insurance and Law Enforcement all Love these camera’s as they Help solve crimes, proof fault in an accident an so on…

I received one ticket, I was at fault and paid it, never received another.

You people cant be serious… SO cameras are BAD because you all run lights? really? I see how YOU ALL drive around here, we need more camera’s. I’m sure with a little more research the KIA will be caught and charged accordingly.. Imagine if there was a pedestrian walking on SR 100 when that KIA maneuvered recklessly, lets assume WHILE TEXTING!

Kudos to ATS and Palm Coast…..

Looks like a legit accident …. how much damage was done to the pole?

22. The Geode says:

If there were EVER a time I will defend the “no snitching” policy, it would be now…

23. jon Q says:

Should give this driver a reward

24. m&m says:

Even if you don’t like the cameras don’t get so close and personal with them.

25. anonymous says:

The driver has 99 problems but a snitch ain’t one.

26. Observer says:

Up the revolution!
    Hit them from behind then u won’t be on the video

27. livesinpalmcoast says:

YEA for that driver… That is funny!!!! Glad no one was hurt EXCEPT for the camera and the pole!
    Hehehehehe…. that’s funny!

28. zimmerman was never guilty! says:

occupy red light cameras!

29. zimmerman was never guilty! says:

sooo these red light cameras are just recording stuff all day long?…..

30. Winny says:

I hope local government are reading these posts, I am afraid some of them may be looking for a new line of work if they don’t do something about these cameras prior to their election. I have never seen so many people consolidated on one issue before in my life. All it’s going to take is someone to run that really listens to what the issues are and someone is going to be out of a job.

31. Ilana says:

texting and driving?! That is what it looked like to me– I don’t think they hit this pole on purpose and then how they slowed down significantly. This is an epidemic in our society right now!!

32. brian says:

dont run the lights and you dont worry about the tickets..pretty simple..

33. Tom says:

That driver should be awarded the medal of honor…..one down 42 to go. I tell all my friends and family to avoid Palm Coast at all cost. I do all my shopping in St Augustine and only take I-95 or US-1 to travel North and South. Way to go Palm Coast!

34. roach says:

ok im with smitty lol the hell with them cameras why help pay for you to charge me if my kid had my car .lol

35. farmer says:

Norton Smith I would,be to sure that the chemicals in syria aren,t of the Iraq war and Sadaam did hide then there.