In Flagler Beach, 2 Men Accused of
Provoking a Violent Brawl Are Jailed

| June 11, 2012

Jacob Visconti, left, and Steven Hoffman-Brown bear the marks of a violent confrontation early Friday morning in Flagler Beach. (FCSO)

It was just past 2 a.m. Friday morning when a Flagler Beach police officer was flagged down and told of a “large disturbance” on North 2nd Street. When an officer arrived there, a man in a black shirt was lying on the ground in the middle of the intersection with North Central Avenue. He was surrounded by a crowd of 10 or 12 people yelling at him. A red Nissan Altima, its passenger-side window smashed out, the shards on the pavement, was stopped in the middle of North 2nd, facing the ocean.

According to witnesses and victims of the incident, whose accounts were summarized in police reports, several people were leaving Poor Walt’s, the Flagler Beach bar at North 2nd Street and Central when Steven Hoffman-Brown, 24, and Jacob Visconti, 30, their faces masked with bandanas, approached the people aggressively and started yelling: “We’re going to fuck you up.”

The people yelled back, telling the two men to leave them alone. Some got in the Nissan to drive off. “As they were turning on North 2nd Street,” the reports state, “one of the males smashed out the rear passenger window with a crow bar.” Brittany Vitale, 25, a resident of Palm Coast, was at the wheel. She stopped the car and got out, upset that the window had just been smashed out. It was her sister’s car. “It was at that moment that she was struck in the face and throat,” the report states.

Four men, one of whom had been in the car, including 25-year-old Nicholas Lomelino of Flagler Beach, ran to Vitale’s defense. Witnesses saw Hoffman-Brown strike Lomelino, the report states. The Hoffman-Brown yelled that he had a gun “and reached into his pocket as if he were to pull it out.” Several people rushed him, struck him and pulled him to the ground, the report states. Visconti meanwhile “began hitting people with the crow bar, striking victims Samuel Puckett”–a 36-year-old resident of Palm Coast–”twice and Sean Bertram in the arm.” Bertram is 27-year-old resident of Palm Coast. The victims and witnesses told police that they’d rushed Visconti, too, wrestled the crowbar from him and thrown it into the bushes, where cops later found it.

Visconti then allegedly ran to his black truck and began charging people with it, knocking Lomelino on the ground and injuring him. Lomelino, police said, had lacerations on his knees, arms and elbows. Katie George, 26, of Flagler Beach, told police that she, too, was struck by the truck and knocked into the bushes. One other victim, Samantha Lutz, 25, of Flagler Beach, told police that Visconti rushed her, too, with his truck, but missed as he drove the truck erratically, before leaving the scene, and Hoff-man Brown. Witnesses recorded the truck’s tag number.

Visconti, of 152 Point Pleasant Drive in Palm Coast, was stopped by a Flagler County sheriff’s deputy at 2:16 as he drove west on State Road 100. Deputies escorted him back to the scene where witnesses and victims identified him and his vehicle as being involved in the incident.

“When I approached Visconti,” the Flagler Beach police officer’s report states, “I observed several cuts and swelling of his left eye. I observed and photographed blood on the exterior driver’s side of his vehicle.” Visconti initially declined medical attention, then asked for it when his shoulder and the cuts surrounding his eye were hurting. He was taken to Florida Hospital Flagler, treated, then booked into the Flagler County jail, along with Hoffman-Brown. The latter is a resident of European Village in Palm Coast.

Both men’s injuries sustained in the brawl were clearly visible in their jail mug shots.

Visconti faces one count of aggravated assault, five counts of aggravated battery, two counts of battery, a count of criminal mischief, and one count of wearing a mask while committing a felony. He posted $11,000 bond and was released.

Hoffman-Brown faces three counts of aggravated battery, two counts of simple battery, a count of criminal mischief and a count of wearing a mask while committing a felony. He posted $7,000 bond and was released. He’d been booked into the Flagler County jail six times previously, going back to October 2007. Charges have included shoplifting, driving on a suspended license, violating probation, marijuana possession (under 20 grams), and domestic violence battery on two separate occasions, the last time on May 3.

42 Responses for “In Flagler Beach, 2 Men Accused of
Provoking a Violent Brawl Are Jailed”

1. Clint says:

And some are against the ” STAND MY GROUND” law because its barbarian ? Take a good look at the future of America !

2. Art Woosley says:

Drinking in a bar at 2 A.M. is a stupid and foolish thing to do and be. Even in little Flagler Beach, dangerous sick people are looking to commit felonious activities and victims to assault.

3. LAWABIDINGCITIZEN says:

THAT HOFFMAN-BROWN KID HAS A HISTORY OF BATTERING WOMEN. HE SHOULD BE MADE AN EXAMPLE OF!

4. The Truth says:

A bad decision by both of these men, but some black eyes/bruises and a couple of nights in jail will hopefully do them good.

It sure looks like Mr. Hoffman-Brown was on the losing end of this one though…

5. George says:

Looks like these two morons picked a fight with an MMA contender and got their tails handed to them! lol

6. flaglerguy says:

Send ‘em to jersey shore!

7. Perrin says:

I have seen some of these young people around town and wanted to submit my humble opinion. The Brown kid needs therapy, he just cannot handle his alcohol. I have seen him get confrontational and aggressive when he’s drunk, but he always gets beaten up, as he did this time. I can’t imagine him being part of any type of organized, planned attempt to assault a bunch of people. I don’t know anything about Visconti. I’ve seen Lomelino around town and he occasionally acts aggressive towards people. What’s interesting is that Brittany Vitale is married to a FCSO deputy assigned to the jail, and Samantha Lutz is the daughter of a relatively high ranking member of FCSO. Being somewhat acquainted with Steven Brown’s drunken habits, this is what I think happened: Steven got drunk and began bothering/making advances towards Brittany and Samantha, and, as has happened in the past, got badly beaten for his drunken behavior. Both ladies are a part of an extended group of friends, a “crew”, many of whom are cops. They hang around in various bars in town and are often aggressive, and I’ve even seen them take people “out back” and beat them up. I think one of the “victims” in this incident dates another “victim”. Because of the law enforcement component of this episode, I hope everything is fully investigated by the FCSO and hopefully by FlaglerLive. I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a lot more to this than what the “witnesses” are saying. The two men who got arrested seemed to have been severely beaten. I wouldn’t be surprised if FCSO is sued for mishandling this case and possibly even suppressing evidence.

8. Perrin says:

Oh, and incidentally, the family of the FCSO deputy assigned to the jail (mentioned in my earlier comment) did a fund raiser party for the Sheriff. Nothing to do with the case but interesting nevertheless. It doesn’t surprise me that the two young men who were severely beaten, got arrested and had very high bails, the “victims” have friends and family in very high places!

9. John Smith says:

These two punks got just what they deserve. I suppose they will be crying stand your ground since they are the ones who got the beating. They need to be in jail.

10. ANONYMOUSAY says:

@clint: No citizen anywhere who truly fears for their life needs a law to tell them when to protect themselves or their family. But it seems people these days want a free pass to take a life, or take advantage of a law that is being cloaked to help the (individual himself depending on who they are) not whether it really was life or death or torture to begin with. We all have a God given right to defend ourselves and loved ones IF our lives truly are in danger, but we still have an obligation to do everything possible to yes make sure we’re safe but also not take a life because we can or because a weapon empowers one. It’s a false sense of security, shooting someone over a fist fight or because one won’t back down is barbaric. If we live by the sword we die by the sword.

11. Flagler Beach says:

Why do we keep letting people like this out of jail. They need about 10 years in jail because they have not learned from their past. I’m glad they picked a fight with the wrong people, guess the bandanas didn’t offer them much protection.

12. knowsalittle says:

Have to disagree with ANONOMOUSAY. If have a CCL and if these two had approached me and threatened me, as well as had a crowbar and threat of a weapon, I would not have hesitated to use my weapon. The vicitm’s in this case were doing nothing wrong and were attacked without provocation. Too bad these two were not shot and injured and/or killed. Two less thugs to worry about and have to pay for jail time.

13. Eric says:

I knew I would see these two on here eventually! Less than a month ago they tried to run me off the road on US1 (slowing down to 30 mph right in front of me, swerving across both lanes to prevent me from passing, etc.) and were driving very aggressively. How do I know it was these two jokers and not a different random black truck? Mr. Hoffman-Brown took the time to lean out the passenger side window and give me the finger while less than 20 feet in front of me. They both gave me the finger but the driver didn’t lean out the window to allow me to see his face. I couldn’t reach my cell phone at the time and wasn’t willing to come to a stop with them acting like that or I would have called the cops.

Once they were done harassing me (not too long in real time but way too long in “stressful situation time”) they sped off at 100+ mph down US1. They almost t-boned a white car that was crossing over and misjudged how fast they were going. Mr. Hoffman-Brown again leaned out the window to give the finger to this unfortunate driver who happened to have crossed in front of them. By the time I reached my phone, they were out of sight down the road and I realized that I hadn’t gotten the license plate number.

I would be pretty useless when it came to filing a report. I figured that boys who acted like that one day probably acted like that often enough that it would eventually catch up with them. Although, I initially expected to see the truck in a new series of horrific accident photos on here. I guess their behavior did catch up with them and was worse and more violent than I would have wished. I hope their consequences are severe.

14. elaygee says:

This is not the end of these two.

• lawabidingcitizen says:

@elaygee.. your absolutely right, unless the system works how it should and the go to prison. i cant say it enough, but Brown is a repeat offender when it comes to battering women, not to mention the 4 other times he has been to brough to jail (7 times just in this county) and Visconti tried running poeple over with his vehicle. this was no normal street fight, these kids were out to cause trouble… and trouble found them

• nay says:

Steven brown is my bestfriend i known him for oover 7 yrs he is not a women beater

• lawabidingcitizem says:

@ nay…. he has 3 battery charges (all 3 on women)… what would you call that. thats says alot about you, sticking up for somebody who hits woman.

15. Dawg says:

They don’t look so big and BAD now! Life in prison won’t get any better boys. Enjoy