A fire broke out in a bedroom in the house at 18 Federal Lane at about 9:10 Sunday evening. The Palm Coast Fire Department was at the scene within minutes. Even though neighbors saw flames leaping out of the bedroom window, firemen were able to contain the fire to the bedroom and salvage the house. The fire was out within about 15 minutes.
One resident was taken to the hospital for treatment for smoke inhalation.
The 1,840-square-foot, one-level house in a neighborhood just west of Florida Park Drive is rented by two or three room-mates, Anthony Ziff, a neighbor who lives at 11 Federal Lane and who is friends with one of the roommates, said as he stood across the street from the house. Ziff said he’s friends with one of the residents whom he only knew as Kenny–the one whose bedroom burned, and who was taken to the hospital. He was referring to Kenneth Shine, 58.
“We saw flames coming out of the right corner,” Ziff said, referring to Kenny’s corner bedroom. “It seemed like it started in Kenny’s bedroom. The flames were coming out of the window.” Kenny himself, Ziff said, “was sitting on the front lawn, he was sweating when he came out. He was freaked out.”
When a deputy arrived at the scene, he saw Shine “kneeling and coughing near the front door attempting to yell inside,” according to a police report. Shine said Robert Miller, 62, another resident of the house, was still inside, possibly in the kitchen. The deputy yelled inside and heard a male’s voice but smoke was too thick to go inside, and flames began to shoot out of a window. As it turned out, Miller had left the house from a back door and was not injured.
Shine later told police that he’d been sleeping in his bedroom then woken up to take a shower to get ready for work. When he left the bathroom after the shower, he saw the window curtains above his bed on fire. He wasn’t sure how the fire had started “but stated he does smoke cigarettes and there was a tall floor type lamp near his bed and curtains,” according to the police report.
The homeowners, Gregory and Dale Session of 27 Fortune Lane, responded to the scene and told police that each room is rented to a resident separately, and that residents are not supposed to be smoking inside.
The Palm Coast Fire Department’s Engines 24 and 22 and Ladder 25 were on the scene. Ziff said firemen “already had the door opened before the flames could get out of control.”
At 9:30 p.m., firemen brought out a black–and blackened–bed-springs, the likely remnant from the bedroom where the fire started. An official said all that could be confirmed just then was that the fire had begun and been contained to the bedroom. No one other than Shine needed medical attention.