Best of the Rest: January 14, 2010
FlaglerLive | January 14, 2010
- Florida’s budget deficit: $3 billion
- Odd leap: Florida ranks 8th in education, in the nation
- Freeze killed 30% of Florida’s crops
- All your questions on Haiti answered
- Obama unveils $90 billion bank-punishment tax
- Pat Robertson loses it (again), calls Haiti “cursed”
- Is Iranian government on the brink of collapse?
- Why Harold Ford shouldn’t run for NY Senate
- Should Christians have that much control over athletes?
- Top 10 paying jobs for women
- Triumph of the size 12’s
“I gave up on this years ago, but I have always felt the phrase of “African-American” to be a ridiculous one. Barack Obama is genuinely African-American, but hardly anybody else who goes by the phrase is. I counted myself, ever so briefly, a foot-soldier in Stanley Crouch’s movement to bring back the honorable (and accurate) name “American negro” when it was accurate and whatever was accurate when it was not. I gave up on that, as it caused too much trouble I didn’t need. So now I say “black” which is also often inaccurate. But “negro” has never been a slur, it is just not the preferred term of the alleged spokespeople for linguistic correctness. The idea that what Harry Reid said is genuinely offensive to anyone is comical. And if you see anyone acting like it is, even if they are merely asking the question on some dumb cable show, then you can conclude that that person is purposely full of shit and ignore everything he or she says for the rest of your life. “–Eric Alterman in his take on “Game Change”.