No Bull, No Fluff, No Smudges
Your news source for
Flagler, Florida and Beyond

Early Morning Fire on Wellstream Lane Makes Home Uninhabitable For Family of Five

| December 14, 2017

The fire at 68 Wellstream Lane in Palm Coast broke out just before 1:30 a.m. (Palm Coast)

The fire at 68 Wellstream Lane in Palm Coast broke out just before 1:30 a.m. (Palm Coast)

The fire broke out at the 3,500-square-foot, two-level house at 68 Wellstream Lane in Palm Coast just before 1:30 this morning. The chimney was on fire, and the flames appeared to be contained to the chimney when the family of five—Ramin Amiri, Sahar Soudah and their three teen-age children—made it out of the house.

When Flagler County Sheriff’s deputies arrived at the scene at 1:32, flames were visible from outside, and minutes later the fire was spreading from the chimney to the roof, according to dispatch notes, which show the Palm Coast Fire Department’s Engine 21 arriving at 1:38.

Firefighters made entry into the house and saw flames around the chimney. They had the fire under control by 1:58, and had put it out by 2:04. Meanwhile some of the neighbors had been evacuated as a precaution. By 3:10, the sheriff’s office was released from the scene and the authorities determined that there was nothing suspicious about the fire.

No one was injured, and even though the fire department was able to save the majority of the house and much of its contents, the house was no longer livable in its current condition because of smoke and water damage. The family stayed with neighbors initially, and are now being assisted by the American Red Cross, according to a Palm Coast spokesperson. The family had bought the nearly 30-year-old house just two years ago.

The crews that responded included Palm Coast Fire Engines 21, 22 and 23; Palm Coast Tower 24; Palm Coast Battalion Captain 20; Battalion Chief 21; and Flagler County Fire Rescue 21 and 22.

In a release about the fire this morning, the Palm Coast administration issued the following advisory based on American Academy of Pediatrics fireplace safety tips.

  • Be certain the damper or flue is open before starting a fire. Keeping the damper or flue open until the fire is out will draw smoke out of the house. The damper can be checked by looking up into the chimney with a flashlight or mirror. Do not close the damper until the embers have completely stopped burning.
  • Use dry and well-aged wood. Wet or green wood causes more smoke and contributes to soot buildup in the chimney. Dried wood burns with less smoke and burns more evenly.
  • Smaller pieces of wood placed on a grate burn faster and produce less smoke.
  • Clean out ashes from previous fires. Levels of ash at the base of the fireplace should be kept to 1 inch or less because a thicker layer restricts the air supply to logs, resulting in more smoke.
  • The chimney should be checked annually by a professional. Even if the chimney is not due for cleaning, it is important to check for animal nests or other blockages that could prevent smoke from escaping.
  • Make sure the area around the fireplace is clear of anything that is potentially flammable (ie: furniture, drapes, newspapers, books, etc.). If these items get too close to the fireplace, they could catch fire.
  • Never leave a fire in the fireplace unattended. Make sure it is completely out before going to bed or leaving the house. If you leave the room while the fire is burning or the fireplace is still hot, take your small child with you.
  • Minimize your child’s chance of burns from the hot glass front of some fireplaces. Safety screens can be installed to reduce the risk of burns.
  • Put fireplace tools and accessories out of a young child’s reach. Also, remove any lighters and matches.
  • Install both smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Test them monthly and change the batteries at least once a year.
  • Keep a fire extinguisher on hand.
  • Communicate to children as early as possible the dangers of fires and the heat generated from them.



Print Friendly, PDF & Email

8 Responses for “Early Morning Fire on Wellstream Lane Makes Home Uninhabitable For Family of Five”

  1. Anonymous says:

    This is terrible so close to Christmas. I hope those in the community will reach out to this family and help them. It is a blessing that it was no worse than it was.

  2. r&r says:

    It may be caused from criasol which come from burning pine.

  3. woodchuck says:

    Make sure the homeowners insurance pay’s up.They usually pay to relocate for a short time,check your policy.

  4. Conehead says:

    I’m surprised that the Palm Coast Fire Police were not dispatched to this call also ?????

  5. Johnny says:

    This is so sad to hear of another incident such as this on the eve of Christmas. Hope they receive the help they need to move forward.

  6. Kathy A says:

    This house is five houses away from mine. We didn’t hear any sirens. Keeping this family in my thoughts. I often see the young children playing in front of the house. I am wondering if there is anything that we can do to help this family. I’m not sure who I should reach out to.

  7. Concerned Citizen says:

    My thoughts go out to the family. Do we know if donations have been set up? I’d like to help.

    Having spent many years with the Fire Department back home I can say that Chimney Fires are not anything to fool with. They spread so fast and do so much damage

    Tips to follow before chimney use.

    1.) Have your chimney inspected before use. If criasol builds up it can cause fire to spread.

    2.) Have your chimney cleaned before using it. Especially if you haven’t used it in awhile.

    3.) Avoid burning Pine if at all possible. Pine has large amounts of criasol in it.

    4.) Never leave the fire place unattended. Try and knock the fire down as much as possible before going to bed. Flare ups can happen even without a lot of wood in the fire place.

  8. tom jones says:

    why did they not call out palm coast fire police

Leave a Reply

FlaglerLive's forum, as noted in our comment policy, is for debate and conversation that adds light and perspective to articles. Please be courteous, don't attack fellow-commenters or make personal attacks against individuals in stories, and try to stick to the subject. All comments are moderated.

Read FlaglerLive's Comment Policy | Subscribe to the Comment Feed rss flaglerlive comment feed rss

More stories on FlaglerLive

FlaglerLive Email Alerts

Enter your email address to get alerts.


suppert flaglerlive flagler live palm coast flagler county news pierre tristam florida
fcir florida center for investigative reporting

Recent Comments

FlaglerLive is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization | P.O. Box 254263, Palm Coast, FL 32135 | Contact the Editor by email | (386) 586-0257 | Sitemap | Log in