Crime Reports, May 31 – June 6
FlaglerLive | June 3, 2010
The following incident and arrest information was compiled using official documents, reports and affidavits obtained from government and law enforcement agencies. This feature is not inclusive. It is a sampling of reported incidents in the Flagler County area. Note: The U.S. legal system provides the presumption of innocence to those charged with a crime until guilt is proven in a court of law.
This page is updated every weekday or as warranted.
A pull-along RV with a flat tire was taken from the shoulder of S.R. 11 in western Flagler County over the weekend, a report said. The owner detached the “Weekend Warrior” trailer from his vehicle after the tire blew and left it parked on the side of the road at around 6 p.m. June 5 with plans to return in the morning to make the necessary repairs. When he returned, the RV and its contents–two Honda CRF 230 off-road motorcycles, a television and numerous other household appliances–were gone.
Stripped Stolen Car Recovered
A stolen vehicle from Boynton Beach turned up June 2 at an apartment complex on Florida Park Drive in Palm Coast, a report said. The white Ford Crown Victoria had been completely stripped if its parts, including seats, light covers, radio and plates. Sugar may have also been poured in the gas tank, according to the report.
Is That Chicken In Your Pants?
A Palm Coast man was charged with retail theft June 2 after a Publix employee said he failed to pay for the chicken and roast beef stuffed in his pants, a report said. The man paid for the items in his cart, the employee said, but failed to pay for the deli meat concealed in his pants and valued at $45.
Bar Robber Leaves Empty-Handed
Two suspected robbers didn’t find what they were looking for after breaking into McCharacters on St. Joe Plaza Drive shortly after closing time June 1. Some electric and telephone lines to the business were cut, but it wasn’t enough to stop the business’ alarm from sounding when two men pried open a side door to get inside, the report indicated. Once inside, surveillance footage showed a man wearing a hooded sweatshirt and gloves prying open the cash register only to find it empty. He then left with sudden haste, presumably brought on by the wailing alarm, the report said. The second man, who is seen in the surveillance footage with the gloved man outside the bar, was wearing jeans and a t-shirt, the report said.
Approximately $1,000 worth of copper and equipment was reported stolen from Flagler Construction and Demolition on C.R. 13 in western Flagler County May 31. A chain securing a gate to the property was found cut, the report said. A pair of 50-foot welding leads valued at $900, copper booster cables, an equipment dolly and scrap copper items were stolen.
A dual-axle trailer was reported stolen from an RV storage area in Plantation Bay on June 1. The $4,500 trailer was taken sometime between May 25 and May 30, the report said. The aluminum trailer carries a Sea Hawke decal, has blue carpet on the rails and is unregistered, the report said.
Homes were reported vandalized or burglarized at the following locations:
- Palmetto Street, Bunnell, June 5. Items inside a home were moved around but nothing was taken.
Vehicles were reported vandalized or burglarized at the following locations:
- Pershing Lane, Palm Coast, May 31 – June 1. The tag was taken from a vehicle parked in a driveway during the overnight hours.
- Palm Harbor Parkway, Palm Coast, June 3. The driver’s window of a Honda Civic was smashed and a GPS unit stolen.
- Matanzas High School, Old Kings Road, Palm Coast, June 3. A wallet was taken from a student’s van.
- Palm Harbor Parkway, Palm Coast, June 4. The driver side window of a vehicle was smashed and a GPS unit taken.
- Richland Lane, Palm Coast, June 5. The tag was stolen from a Ford Focus parked in the driveway of a home.
- Burbank Drive, Palm Coast, June 5. A stereo was reported stolen from a vehicle parked in a residential driveway.
- Ulysses Trail, Palm Coast, June 6. Two teens were arrested after deputies found them in possession of GPS units reported stolen from two vehicles parked at homes on the same residential street.
- Biscay Lane, Palm Coast, June 6. Tires were slashed on two vehicles parked outside a home.
In 2008, an estimated 11,773 people were killed in automobile crashes involving a drunk driver (someone with a blood alcohol content level of .08 or more), according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Soon, a varying list of traffic and law enforcement agencies will begin releasing the DUI data they compiled in 2009. Whether drunk driving’s annual death toll rose or fell last year, the number isn’t likely to be the only acceptable one…zero. These reportedly impaired drivers were also found driving on Flagler’s streets this week and were arrested.
- Janice Koppell, 50, Palm Coast. June 1.
- Carolyn Marie Johnson, 53, Palm Coast. June 4.
- Daina Ann Bruno, 52, Ormond Beach. June 5.
- Brad Andrew Samples, 24, Winter Haven. June 6.
- June Marie Geist, 43, Flagler Beach. June 6.