| March 20, 2013

Paul Bovino.

Paul Bovino.

Last week Flagler Sheriff Jim Manfre called Paul Bovino “the past present and future of the organization,” and lavished compliments on the man he’d demoted from captain to lieutenant just weeks earlier. “People are attracted to him because of his energy and personality, not only line deputies but also the public. And he’s a humble guy too when you talk to him. He’s a family man, religious, and he hates politics.” On another occasion, Manfre referred to Bovino as a “rising star.”

Click On:

At the time, Bovino had been re-elevated to interim commander of the Neighborhood Services Division (formerly known as the patrol division), in place of David O’Brien, who was given the choice of either being fired or retiring in the messy culmination of a re-organization that had initially cast O’Brien among the management team. O’Brien took retirement.

On Wednesday, Manfre made Bovino’s appointment permanent. He’ll take the rank of commander. As a lieutenant, he was making an annual salary of $77,000 a year. He’ll remain the head of the department’s SWAT team (Special Weapons and Tactics Team), which he created in 2001, and where he made his name with a charismatic, commanding presence.

“Paul has an extensive law enforcement background and has proven leadership qualities that I think will greatly benefit this agency,” Manfre said in a release.

Bovino, 39, joined the Sheriff’s Office in 1996. He is a graduate of Flagler Palm Coast High School and received his law enforcement training through the St. Augustine Technical Center. In 2001, he was promoted to deputy first class. He was promoted to corporal in 2003 and sergeant the following year.

The sheriff’s office’s news release notes that Bovino was promoted to lieutenant in 2007 and to captain in 2011, but leave silent his demotion in January, back to lieutenant, when Manfre eliminated the captain’s rank and demoted and shifted dozens of deputies. Bovino took the demotion in stride, as did most of his colleagues who were shifted or demoted, focusing on the job rather than the title. Manfre said it showed: Bovino responded to the reorganization by doubling down on his duties, and quickly earning the appointment to the interim commander post.

In 2012, Bovino was selected as the Executive Commander of Law Enforcement Services. As Commander of the Neighborhood Services Division he will command the road patrol division, the largest bin the organization, and report to Undersheriff Rick Staly.

“I appreciate the Sheriff’s confidence in my ability,” Bovino said in the release. “I look forward to serving the community in my new position.”

12 Responses for ““Rising Star” Paul Bovino Is Appointed Commander of Flagler Sheriff’s Patrol Division”

1. Mike L says:

Congratulations Commander Bovino! You deserve this promotion, your hard work and pride in what you do really shows. Thank you for being a leader and keeping our county safe and under control.

2. just saying says:

Flagler had a swat team back in ’81.

3. Regina says:

Well deserved appointment I have had this Deputy to my house on a few occasions and has always acted in the most appropiate and understanding way.

4. Alfred E. Newman says:

I met this fellow at my home back in 2001, following a dust-up at my place of employment.
    He was pleasant and non-judgemental as he served me with some paperwork.

He made a lasting impression on me that day. I always remember this when I interact with
    law enforcement, or read something negative about a local cop.

I wish Mr. Bovino continued success. He makes for an exemplary cop.

My two cents.

5. Congrads! says:

Nice to hear some positive news from the FCSO………..

But also know it won’t last…

6. Brian says:

Conrgats Paul you deserve it!

7. Honestly says:

Wait a minute wasn’t he already in that position before the New Sheriff came into office. Manfre demoted him from that position the moment he went into office. “Maybe he realized how wrong he was and gave him his job back”. Manfre take the time to get to know your deputies there are some wonderful deputies out there that aren’t getting the recognition they deserve. Bovino way to go proving yourself !!!!!

8. Diego Miller says:

Mr. Bovino has Wyatt Earp syndrome. I am against Militarizing of our police departments.

9. RNYPD says:

So he was demoted and then re-promoted? Obrien was considered for the Under Sheriff position and then fired? It sounds like that initial evaluation may not have rendered the accurate information that their transition team claimed. I wonder what they think about the others now that were fired or demoted? At any rate congratulations to Bovino, he is an extaordinary Law Enforcement officer in every aspect I can imagine and I do know him personally. He should never have had to suffer the embaressment of being demoted. That was an absolutely rediculous decision however, there appear to have been many of those. He and Staly SHOULD combine for a great team.

10. Ny says:

David Obrien for sheriff

11. concerned citizen says:

Well it just goes to show that in order to get anywhere with the FCSO you must A be from New Jersey or New York and B kiss alot of you know what. I personally do not think that he is qualified for this position nor was the other 2 that they had in this position. Come on peoplethis Sheriffs Office is the laughing stalk of both Volusia and St. Johns counties!!

12. Ray Thorne says:

What has happened to this Rising Star?