Obama Releases Long-Form Birth Certificate; Trump Takes Credit

| April 27, 2011

barack obama long form birth certificate birthers controversy

The long form birth certificate. Click on the image for larger view.

Hoping to put an end to the manufactured controversy over his place of birth, President Obama this morning posted on the White House website the so-called long-form birth certificate, from the state of Hawaii. The certificate appears above. It shows Obama’s place of birth (Honolulu) and his mother’s signature, as well as that of Alvin Onaka, state registrar. Robert Gibbs, the former White House press secretary, had described the matter in 2009 as the “made-up fictional nonsense of whether or not the president was born in this country.”

The White House’s communications director, Dan Pfeiffer, writes:

Click On:

“In 2008, in response to media inquiries, the President’s campaign requested his birth certificate from the state of Hawaii. The state sent the campaign the President’s birth certificate, the same legal documentation provided to all Hawaiians as proof of birth in state, and the campaign immediately posted it on the internet. That birth certificate can be seen here (PDF).

“When any citizen born in Hawaii requests their birth certificate, they receive exactly what the President received. In fact, the document posted on the campaign website is what Hawaiians use to get a driver’s license from the state and the document recognized by the Federal Government and the courts for all legal purposes. That’s because it is the birth certificate. This is not and should not be an open question.

“The President believed the distraction over his birth certificate wasn’t good for the country. It may have been good politics and good TV, but it was bad for the American people and distracting from the many challenges we face as a country. Therefore, the President directed his counsel to review the legal authority for seeking access to the long form certificate and to request on that basis that the Hawaii State Department of Health make an exception to release a copy of his long form birth certificate. They granted that exception in part because of the tremendous volume of requests they had been getting.”

Obama himself held a press conference later. “We do not have time for this kind of silliness,” he said. “We’ve got better stuff to do. I’ve got better stuff to do. We’ve got big problems to solve. And I’m confident we can solve them, but we’re going to have to focus on them — not on this.” (See the full statement below.)

Donald Trump, who made the birth-certificate issue the central plank of his potential campaign for president, took credit for the release. “I’ve accomplished something nobody else has accomplished,” he said. “We have to look at it. A lot of people have to look at it. I hope it’s true, and the reason I hope its true is because we have real problems in this country.”

The release is unlikely to end the “made-up fictional nonsense,” since birther contentions have never been distracted by fact.

Obama’s news conference this morning:

Get the Flash Player to see the wordTube Media Player.

Transcript:

THE PRESIDENT: Hello, everybody. Now, let me just comment, first of all, on the fact that I can’t get the networks to break in on all kinds of other discussions — (laughter.) I was just back there listening to Chuck — he was saying, it’s amazing that he’s not going to be talking about national security. I would not have the networks breaking in if I was talking about that, Chuck, and you know it.

Q Wrong channel. (Laughter.)

THE PRESIDENT: As many of you have been briefed, we provided additional information today about the site of my birth. Now, this issue has been going on for two, two and a half years now. I think it started during the campaign. And I have to say that over the last two and a half years I have watched with bemusement, I’ve been puzzled at the degree to which this thing just kept on going. We’ve had every official in Hawaii, Democrat and Republican, every news outlet that has investigated this, confirm that, yes, in fact, I was born in Hawaii, August 4, 1961, in Kapiolani Hospital.

We’ve posted the certification that is given by the state of Hawaii on the Internet for everybody to see. People have provided affidavits that they, in fact, have seen this birth certificate. And yet this thing just keeps on going.

Now, normally I would not comment on something like this, because obviously there’s a lot of stuff swirling in the press on at any given day and I’ve got other things to do. But two weeks ago, when the Republican House had put forward a budget that will have huge consequences potentially to the country, and when I gave a speech about my budget and how I felt that we needed to invest in education and infrastructure and making sure that we had a strong safety net for our seniors even as we were closing the deficit, during that entire week the dominant news story wasn’t about these huge, monumental choices that we’re going to have to make as a nation. It was about my birth certificate. And that was true on most of the news outlets that were represented here.

And so I just want to make a larger point here. We’ve got some enormous challenges out there. There are a lot of folks out there who are still looking for work. Everybody is still suffering under high gas prices. We’re going to have to make a series of very difficult decisions about how we invest in our future but also get a hold of our deficit and our debt — how do we do that in a balanced way.

And this is going to generate huge and serious debates, important debates. And there are going to be some fierce disagreements — and that’s good. That’s how democracy is supposed to work. And I am confident that the American people and America’s political leaders can come together in a bipartisan way and solve these problems. We always have.

But we’re not going to be able to do it if we are distracted. We’re not going to be able to do it if we spend time vilifying each other. We’re not going to be able to do it if we just make stuff up and pretend that facts are not facts. We’re not going to be able to solve our problems if we get distracted by sideshows and carnival barkers.

We live in a serious time right now and we have the potential to deal with the issues that we confront in a way that will make our kids and our grandkids and our great grandkids proud. And I have every confidence that America in the 21st century is going to be able to come out on top just like we always have. But we’re going to have to get serious to do it.

I know that there’s going to be a segment of people for which, no matter what we put out, this issue will not be put to rest. But I’m speaking to the vast majority of the American people, as well as to the press. We do not have time for this kind of silliness. We’ve got better stuff to do. I’ve got better stuff to do. We’ve got big problems to solve. And I’m confident we can solve them, but we’re going to have to focus on them — not on this.

Thanks very much, everybody.

(9:54 A.M. EDT, April 27)

39 Responses for “Obama Releases Long-Form Birth Certificate; Trump Takes Credit”

1. Dorothea says:

Rob, I agree with you there. But why are so many birthers and teabaggers living in Florida? At least in other states voters are protesting and even recalling their radical right-wing politicians. We finally got a protest out of Florida when Congressman Paul Ryan’s steal from the seniors and give to the wealthy corporations budget plan hit the fan. Even the tea-bags got riled up when Republican House members went after Medicare and veteran’s benefits.

Kevin, your description of me and of President Obama is so absurdly off the mark, so I’ll let it stand for others to laugh at. Kevin’s hyberbolic bullshit aside, in fact, there is regulation of commodities. Unfortunately, the majority of the regulators were appointed by George Bush. Fortunately, in another month or two, one of them gets replaced. Kevin is also shooting blanks when it comes to contributions from major corporation, comparing them to union contributions. Corporations contribute more than eight times the money that unions contribute.

2. notasenior says:

I was wondering how long it would take for that tired anti-union gibberish to come out. It reminds of the story of the CEO, the worker, and the union rep. were all in a room together. Someone brought in a dozen cookies. The CEO grabbed 11 of them and said to the worker, “be careful the union wants to take 1/2 your cookie!”

3. Kyle Russell says:

“Tell me in what ways has he specifically implemented anything that has helped our dollar and not hurt it instead?”

Never mind the fact that a weaker dollar improves our exports, thus increasing American production (and potentially employment) and decreases the trade deficit.

4. dlf says:

The next question that the Donald wants answered is why we never see the first family going to a church. They are always out of town on certain holidays, last Easter for an example. Since they can no longer go the Rev. Wright and not listen to his crap where to they go now ? They did go the the Rev. Wright but they do not remember his hatred and racist remarks, where do they go now ,not to listen? But, not listening is a trait of the King, oops Obama. The Donald will find out,how else can he make as ass out himself ?. Maybe his point is to make an ass out of someone else, wonder who that could be.

5. Pat says:

I hope all you teabaggers and birthers continue to pay into Social Security so that I can collect my benefits for the next 30+ years, since when and if you get to be 70 years old you will find out there is nothing left for you, thanks to Rubio and the other idiot Republican congressmen. Forget about medicare, you will be given a voucher for $1,000 to cover euthanasia and cremation if you can’t pay for your own care. Republicans love all the benefits, but don’t want to pay their share.

Kevin, showing his true colors as a very concerned oil future contracts (manipulator) trader. I sure seriously resent that Obama yet did not slam the congress approved trade limits in the oil futures yet!
    Then when that will materialize as many of our Democrat and Independent senators as well as the majority 3 Future Trade Commissioners with Commissioner Bart Chilton http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1_q88rlUkw at the head are demanding from Obama to enforce ASAP to stop the gouging at the pump. Once enforced I could see Kevin squat while we will all enjoy a relief at the pump. http://www.cftc.gov/About/Commissioners/BartChilton/index.htm No more gouging to fatten the oil lords wallets; http://www.mrc.org/biasalert/2011/20110426044931.aspx
    As the law is not being enforced as we speak, yet. Specifically the Futures Trade Commission rule states that trading of essential consumer futures, should be exempted of trading manipulation… and is not right now. Also these financial trading institutions being banks, hedge funds, etc are to have sufficient collaterals to buy and sell millions in oil contracts and they have not on their margin accounts then when their trades take a dive we have to fork the stimulus. Just like happened with the darn housing market! For all those square minded, greedy bourgeois Kevin’s, Dfl’s, and other seekers of greedy special interest I am happy to see that their good times could be short lived, admiring the anger of all those foolish republicans that elected these dudes in January and now have to fight for their incomes survival on these town hall meetings in Florida and all over. Way to go Wisconsin, recall those senators now so Scott gets his shoe size in his senate and boot him out as well in 2012. Sure we should follow the example in Florida. Out with the fascist.

7. Kevin says:

palmcoaster says:
    April 29, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Palmcoaster…OMG can I hire you as a clown for my daughters party? I’ll give you two hundred dollars to speak infron of me and my family so we can laugh at what a nitwit you are. Full of assumptions you are~so would say Yoda. If you had a brain you would realize the the drop of the dollar has brought about the major rise in the cost of oil for us at the pumps fool. Trading the security marked to market against the oil and not the commdity itself doesn’t effect it you imbicile. Again you need intelligence, education, and facts to know this, none of which you have or utilize along with estrogen low Dorothea…yea I have your ticket too:o) (that is not nice I take it back–ha). I’ve got work to do no thanks to Obama perpetuator of chasing away businesses and money in general..Its ok because the decline of America is well underway and I am more than prepared. I will enjoy knowing and watching over time some of you reap what you have sewn.

8. Dorothea says:

Kevin, how kind of you to worry about my estrogen levels. Here, I’ve been discreetly not mentioning your low testosterone count. But there are creams available to help with your problem.

The following information is for those who are trying to sort out the high gas price problem:

The main reason for high gas prices are high crude oil prices. Oil prices normally rise when demand is greater than supply. However, in 2011, high oil prices were caused by investors’ fears about unrest in Libya and Egypt. Even before that, oil prices were steadily rising, as commodities traders took bet against a declining dollar, and bought gold and futures contracts. These are agreements to buy or sell oil at a specific date in the future at a specific price. Commodities traders can create a self-fulfilling prophecy by bidding up oil futures prices. Once this starts, it can create an asset bubble.

Anyone who engages in manipulating oil commodity futures is a money-grubbing SOB and willfully engaging in destroying the American economy.

Now I must get on with my sewing, or is it sowing?

9. Dorothea says:

Dlf,

Regarding your comments about the president’s church attendance. Ronald Reagan never attended church because he did not want to upset the congregation with security problems. Not that I give a damn who goes to church or to any other place of worship. Some of our more infamous crooks were devoutly religious, while greedily lining their pockets with their ill gotten gains.